Jose Fernandez Rumor

It's not just that Jose is awesome, because he is.  It's the inefficiency that makes it a no-go for me. If they make this deal, who the hell is going to pitch for this team in 2016? Who's the starter opening day - Tom Kohler? And now we would have to deal both Ozuna and Prado cause there's no place for them to play. Do they really think they are going to get any pitching of value for them? So what, does that mean seriously overpaying for a guy like Cueto, who if all other things are equal would probably go to a team that actually looks like they can contend in '16? You might get Jonny with the team we have now, because it sure looks like all this team needs to be good next year is a few good starters. Without Jose, it's a mess, and it's not like the FO has a track record of putting the right pieces together. 

Sign Kyle Kendrick #RockiesEast 

It's not just that Jose is awesome, because he is.  It's the inefficiency that makes it a no-go for me. If they make this deal, who the hell is going to pitch for this team in 2016? Who's the starter opening day - Tom Kohler? And now we would have to deal both Ozuna and Prado cause there's no place for them to play. Do they really think they are going to get any pitching of value for them? So what, does that mean seriously overpaying for a guy like Cueto, who if all other things are equal would probably go to a team that actually looks like they can contend in '16? You might get Jonny with the team we have now, because it sure looks like all this team needs to be good next year is a few good starters. Without Jose, it's a mess, and it's not like the FO has a track record of putting the right pieces together. 

As @Admin said earlier, don't assume this is all we do. I know he isn't Jose but I believe there is a Cueto deal coming. Remember this also. If the Jose trade happens it frees up cash they were budgeting for his possible extension. 

I keep going back and forth on this but part of me thinks the Dodgers don't bite on this because while Jose would be awesome for them, losing that many top players/prospects could be a devastating blow to that organization especially if for whatever reason Jose flopped over there. 

It's a case of the Dodgers putting all their eggs in one basket.

Freeing up cash for a Jose extension is not nearly enough to get any pitcher of value. As o said the only way Cueto comes here is on a massive overpay. Given that the best we can hope for in a rotation is reclamation projects, what we have already, and whatever innings eaters or kids we can get for Ozuna and Prado. 

As o said the only way Cueto comes here is on a massive overpay. 

Not confirming or denying interest in Cueto but it would not take a massive overpay. If the fish beat everyone else's offer, he'll take it just like any team would have to offer the best deal. There isn't this problem with signing with the Marlins that so many imagine.

Not confirming or denying interest in Cueto but it would not take a massive overpay. If the fish beat everyone else's offer, he'll take it just like any team would have to offer the best deal. There isn't this problem with signing with the Marlins that so many imagine.

I am sooo good at reading between the lines.

NASHVILLE 

The Marlins keep insisting that Jose Fernandez is “not available.”

But sources are indicating otherwise.

According to a major-league source, the Marlins discussed a deal with the Arizona Diamondbacks in which they would have given up Fernandez for a five-player haul that included pitcher Patrick Corbin and top shortstop prospect Dansby Swanson — last year’s overall No. 1 draft pick.

The Marlins would have also received outfielder Ender Inciarate, pitcher Aaron Blair and infielder Brandon Drury in the proposed blockbuster. But the deal collapsed Tuesday when the Diamondbacks acquired pitcher Shelby Miller from the Braves.

With the Diamondbacks out of the hunt, the Los Angeles Dodgers could make a stronger push to acquire Fernandez. The Los Angeles Dodgers, as well as the New York Yankees and San Francisco Giants, have been linked to the Marlins in trade rumors involving Fernandez.

All of it suggests the Marlins aren’t as reluctant about dealing Fernandez as they’re letting on.

For the second straight day Tuesday, Marlins president of baseball operations Mike Hill told reporters the pitcher was “not available,” and that the same message was being delivered to teams asking about him.

“You try to say he’s not available,” Hill said. “But that doesn’t stop teams from asking.”

Hill said 15 to 20 teams have called asking about the pitcher. Only four have been identified: the Yankees, Dodgers, Diamondbacks and Giants.

Diamondbacks general manager Dave Stewart acknowledged Tuesday he had spoken to the Marlins about Fernandez and intended to do so again. But that was before the Diamondbacks acquired Miller.

And Foxsports.com reported that the Dodgers are trying to involve another team in a possible three-way deal to land Fernandez.

Hill said many of the calls are from teams who don’t want to be left out of the Fernandez sweepstakes if the Marlins are open to trading him.

“People don’t want to feel like they miss out, so [when] they think they’re missing out on something, I tell them, ‘You’re not missing out on anything,’ ” he said. “But that still doesn’t stop the phone calls and the time to explain what’s actually going on.”

Clearly, even if the Marlins say Fernandez isn’t available, they’re listening.

Buy sources said the Marlins would have to be “overwhelmed” with an offer — an overpay — they couldn’t refuse.

“Everybody is available,” Marlins president David Samson said. “But some are less likely than others. He’s very unlikely. It would take something where our entire room would say, ‘Whoa, I would do that.’ ”

What would the Marlins require in return for Fernandez?

“There is a decent bet there would be front-line pitching, plus other stuff coming back,” Samson said.

Just like the deal the Marlins were discussing with the Diamondbacks.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article48723310.html

Good article read ^ Why can't Hill be more like Stewart? Guy is always up front lol.

I like @squall kept waking up and checking my phone waiting on a deal. I also have push notifications from MLB Trade rumors so if something happens my phone goes off. If the Marlins deal Fernandez to the Dodgers for the suspected players and then turn around get Cueto, I would be ecstatic. 

It is now day 3 and all we been doing is occupying our time with this deal. Other pitchers are out there. Only makes me suspect if this deal goes down then a domino effect is to follow right after.

Cueto declined the 6 year 120 million dollar offer from D Backs. What is he looking for? 6 / $130? I always feel like these pitchers once they get to 30 years old they care more about years than dollars. Marlins don't even like to go past 3 years and 4 years is always stretching it.

3 Translations on this:

Marlinsbaseball.com: "We're getting Cueto!"

Craig Mish: "Johnny Cueto just had a fist fight in the locker room with Lastings Milledge"

Scoop: "22 year old rookie Johnny Cueto has just started his first game for the Cincinnati Reds"

"I thought there was a chance coming off the GM Meetings," Hill said. "The rumor came off the GM Meetings, and we hadn't done anything. Whenever that gets out there, nobody wants to miss out."

"In our game, people feel like they don't want to miss out," Hill said. "So they think they're missing out on something. I tell them, 'You're not missing out on anything.' But that still doesn't stop the phone calls, and the time to explain what is actually going on."

MLB.com

It's so hard to be a fan of this team when crap like this keeps happening. I'll never give up my Fandom, but dammit, DON'T TRADE JOSE! 

Trade him if the return is as good as they are looking

Guest Vince0926
Jose's so good though that even an epic return has me skeptical. Jose is the kind of player every team wishes they had... AND WE HAVE HIM!

But it's the marlins way we don't keep him 

But we can't afford him with how things are going. You would eventually have just 2 guys taking up $60 million++ in payroll with Stanton and Fernandez.

Yep, Jose is line for close to 40 million average per year at this rate

Jose's so good though that even an epic return has me skeptical. Jose is the kind of player every team wishes they had... AND WE HAVE HIM!

Yeah but like @CYmarlins said, we can't afford him longterm so may as well clean up while we can if we can.

Jose is an absolute beast. His stats are Marlins park are the thing of legends. But there's no chance we keep him in 3 years when he reaches FA. He's going to want something astronomical. Every year that passes the less we'll be able to get back. 

If we can get the haul mentioned, Seager makes Hech available to trade. Hasn't looked like we'll be able to sign him long term either. Trade him for a 3B or pitching. If we get Joc then Ozuna is available. We should be able to also get some nice pieces for him, mainly pitching. Then you extend Gordon, sign Cueto, sign someone to platoon at 1B with Bour and the team looks pretty good. Not to mention we'd have Urias hopefully in 2017 to pitch with Cueto and whoever else we sign or trade for. we'd still have holes or issues but moving in the right direction.