Jose Fernandez Rumor

Jokersgoon

1387 days since he stole Marlins Park from the city of Miami and won't invest money on FA's

How well did that investing go in the off-season before 2012?

It didn't go well for 3 months. I had a bad 3 months in the market so I'm going to put all my money under my mattress from now on and never take a risk again.

Not saying Loria is right to never try again cause of that, but just saying money doesn't ALWAYS equal greatness either.

Problem is with the same people running the show, it'd probably be invested wrong again.

Not saying Loria is right to never try again cause of that, but just saying money doesn't ALWAYS equal greatness either.

Problem is with the same people running the show, it'd probably be invested wrong again.

Exactly. It isn't just "not spending money" that's the issue. The poor drafting and trades where we give up the few good prospects we had for players who aren't here anymore have led us to our current predicament. They needed to spend the money just to make up for the mess they've made. I'm pretty sure at this rate the front office knows that they can't spend the money, don't have the prospects to call up, and can't trade to get cheap players on some other team. Basically, the team is sitting on a 70 to 75 win team but praying for Cosart/Nicolino/Conley to magically go from #5 starters to #3's, that the lineup plays to the best of their expectations, that AJ Ramos can continue his success as closer, oh, and that this all happens with no major injuries.

So basically, it's going to be a 70 to 75 win season.

Dodgers want an ace, have prospects. Marlins have an ace, want young MLB ready/controllable players (specifically pitching) but have no prospects to get them. What about a 3 team deal with a team like the Braves, Rays, or Padres with prospects going to them from LA, Jose going to the Dodgers and prospects + Julio Teheran/Jake Odorizzi/Tyson Ross going to the Marlins. Bang.

I still think the Diamondbacks are more attractive. To be fantasy GM, something like Pollock, Corbin, Bradley/Shipley, Lamb/Drury, one of their many solid middle infield prospects (Leyva, Reinheimer, I. Diaz, Alcantara), and two good A-ball power arms, for Fernandez, Ozuna, and Mike Dunn. That's a 7 for 3 trade, which seems to be what the Marlins want to do.

Marlins get obviously a well above average CF controlled for 3 years and whom you'd expect them to extend (Pollock), a good # 3 lefty SP for right now also controlled for a bunch of years and whom they could also extend (Corbin), a future #2/3 on paper who is likely ready to go sometime in 2016 (Bradley/Shipley), their heir apparent to 3B and who could also be a 400 PA guy this year and spell Prado/Bour of time respectively (Lamb/Drury), a good middle infield prospect to help offset if Hech really wants Andrus money in 2-3 years, and future arms. 

Diamondbacks will have a rock and roll rotation, have the prospect depth to lose all of those guys, get an outfielder with big upside to deflect Pollock loss (Ozuna power in that park!), and get a second lefty for their bullpen who is pretty good and affordable (Dunn is better than you guys give him credit for, he is useful to a contending club as a second lefty and should be better moving forward).

That sets up really good if Arizona wants to go for it right now. I think they'd do it to get Fernandez and pummel the Dodgers. Marlins get longterm solutions who can play right now at CF, 3B, 2 SP, and depth in the minors. Arizona gets an ace for 3 years, outfield hope, and a year of Dunn.

Marlins then can sign someone like Ian Kennedy in free agency, and roll out Kennedy, Corbin, Koehler, Cosart, Bradley/Shipley. Yes, I know they still need a # 1, but there is real hope with Bradley/Shipley to become real good and they'll have solved the entire position core for probably 5 years (assuming they sign Gordon), so they can devote all resources to starting pitching moving forward, both in FA money and trade assets.

Just saying.

Also, I want to point out they could have Rodon right now. Never forget.

I still think the Diamondbacks are more attractive. To be fantasy GM, something like Pollock, Corbin, Bradley/Shipley, Lamb/Drury, one of their many solid middle infield prospects (Leyva, Reinheimer, I. Diaz, Alcantara), and two good A-ball power arms, for Fernandez, Ozuna, and Mike Dunn. That's a 7 for 3 trade, which seems to be what the Marlins want to do.

Marlins get obviously a well above average CF controlled for 3 years and whom you'd expect them to extend (Pollock), a good # 3 lefty SP for right now also controlled for a bunch of years and whom they could also extend (Corbin), a future #2/3 on paper who is likely ready to go sometime in 2016 (Bradley/Shipley), their heir apparent to 3B and who could also be a 400 PA guy this year and spell Prado/Bour of time respectively (Lamb/Drury), a good middle infield prospect to help offset if Hech really wants Andrus money in 2-3 years, and future arms. 

Diamondbacks will have a rock and roll rotation, have the prospect depth to lose all of those guys, get an outfielder with big upside to deflect Pollock loss (Ozuna power in that park!), and get a second lefty for their bullpen who is pretty good and affordable (Dunn is better than you guys give him credit for, he is useful to a contending club as a second lefty and should be better moving forward).

That sets up really good if Arizona wants to go for it right now. I think they'd do it to get Fernandez and pummel the Dodgers. Marlins get longterm solutions who can play right now at CF, 3B, 2 SP, and depth in the minors. Arizona gets an ace for 3 years, outfield hope, and a year of Dunn.

Marlins then can sign someone like Ian Kennedy in free agency, and roll out Kennedy, Corbin, Koehler, Cosart, Bradley/Shipley. Yes, I know they still need a # 1, but there is real hope with Bradley/Shipley to become real good and they'll have solved the entire position core for probably 5 years (assuming they sign Gordon), so they can devote all resources to starting pitching moving forward, both in FA money and trade assets.

Just saying.

Also, I want to point out they could have Rodon right now. Never forget.

I would still rather trade with the Dodgers and get Seager, Pederson, Urias, plus. Of course I would rather extend Jose, keep Ozuna, sign two quality FA pitchers, draft prospects regardless of costs, and spend on INT FA!  However, ...... Marlins