Jose Fernandez Rumor

Jokersgoon

I love Jose, love watching him pitch. He gives us a great chance to win every time he's on the mound.

However..... I get a little bit of a fragile feel, as in possibly injury prone throughout his career. 

So, if you can get the type of haul that's being discussed, I don't mind him going. 

As someone else said, imagine we turn down these types of offers and he misses three months this season, or worse?

Every player comes with an injury risk but the odds are better if you're getting 3 or more talented guys vs. one who has already missed considerable time in his very short career.

Is there a chance? Yes. Is there a chance it makes us better in 2018 and beyond? Absolutely because Jose won't be here anyway. So a chance at being as good or better the next 2 years and basically a guarantee of being better after that.

you sound just like Mike Hill

Last point I wanna make... We offered Jose a fair contract a year ago and he turned it down. Suddenly we're assuming he would never under any circumstances accept a 2nd offer some point down the line. Who the hell knows if that's true? What if we tried again? What if things with Boras aren't as bad as the media makes it seem? What if we get a new owner after the ASG and they splurge on Jose? I don't know how we automatically decided that Jose will never sign here.

...go ahead flame me I'm ready for this one.

The Cabrera trade?  That's the only time?  Are you serious?  2012, 2014, 2015...

Not only is Jose a top-3 pitcher, he is also the leader of this team, he has an identity with the fans and community, and he is one of the only people on the team who is capable of keeping it together.  If you think that's worth three over-hyped, overpriced Dodgers, then this discussion is pointless.

I think you're wrong on the team leader thing.

The Cabrera trade?  That's the only time?  Are you serious?  2012, 2014, 2015...

Not only is Jose a top-3 pitcher, he is also the leader of this team, he has an identity with the fans and community, and he is one of the only people on the team who is capable of keeping it together.  If you think that's worth three over-hyped, overpriced Dodgers, then this discussion is pointless.

What bad trade did we make in 2012? And in 2014, we traded Disco for Latos. Everyone thought it was a great deal. It didn't work out. It happens.

And I don't give a damn about him "identifying" with the fans and the community. I care about winning baseball games, and if you can make a deal that gives you a better opportunity to do that now and in the future, you do it. And lol at you calling the Dodgers prospects "overhyped."

You are clearly speaking from the heart rather than the mind.

Look, I don't want to trade Jose either, but again, if a great deal comes along, you have to at least consider it.

Last point I wanna make... We offered Jose a fair contract a year ago and he turned it down. Suddenly we're assuming he would never under any circumstances accept a 2nd offer some point down the line. Who the hell knows if that's true? What if we tried again? What if things with Boras aren't as bad as the media makes it seem? What if we get a new owner after the ASG and they splurge on Jose? I don't know how we automatically decided that Jose will never sign here.

For one thing Boras wants his guys to hit free agency.

For another, after the deals signed this off-season Jose is looking at 40mil per as a FA

Hey, if Jose is going to sign here long-term, awesome. But he will probably command somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 million. Not sure if I see the Marlins giving that to a pitcher who has already had injury issues.

Not even close

I didn't mention trades, I mentioned deals.  They're all part of the same mentality.  It never works, especially for an organization as incompetent as this one.

Well I'm not talking about deals. I'm talking about monster trade offers. Two different things. Saying "it never works" is silly. Like, you're basically saying that Seager, Pederson, etc. would work out for any other team but the Marlins.

I don't want Jose gone but if Dodgers offer Seager, Urias, Joc and more you have to do it. Sets you up good for the future and also keeps you solid in the present. Have to think with your brain and not your heart. Jose won't be here in a few years and we may never have a chance at a ridiculous haul like this again.

Looks like nobody else is interested in explaining their points today.

You explain why he's the leader and I might explain why he isn't though your attitude makes me question if I should bother.

Like, I'm basically saying, that, like, the general vibe of my point was that, like, spending money and completely reshaping the team in one deal has been tried multiple times, and it doesn't work.  And yeah, when I said "over-hyped and overpriced," I clearly meant that a trade with them would work for other teams.

Calling them overhyped and overpriced is silly. I mean, they haven't even gotten paid yet.

You explain why he's the leader and I might explain why he isn't though your attitude makes me question if I should bother.

I'm a bit late to this thread this morning. Are people trying to say that Jose is the leader of the team? Have these people spent one second in Miami? Jose is one of the most talented pitchers in the universe, but he's also a spoiled baby who couldn't lead a starving dog to a can of food because he'd be too caught up in getting something out of it for himself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.