Jose Fernandez Rumor

Jokersgoon

I'm not talking about affording him. We have him. Removing him from our team would suck regardless of the return. Period. If you don't agree with that (independent of the return and financial limitations) you aren't a Marlins fan.

I'm a Marlins fan for more than just 2016 though and long-term, it makes no sense to not trade a guy for a large haul if you know you can't keep him in a few years anyway. 

I'm not talking about affording him. We have him. Removing him from our team would suck regardless of the return. Period. If you don't agree with that (independent of the return and financial limitations) you aren't a Marlins fan.

While I wholeheartedly agree that trading him would suck, it's hard to not be enamored with the types of returns we could potentially get. Severino, Bird and Judge, for example, is awfully tempting.

Jose is an absolute beast. His stats are Marlins park are the thing of legends. But there's no chance we keep him in 3 years when he reaches FA. He's going to want something astronomical. Every year that passes the less we'll be able to get back. 

If we can get the haul mentioned, Seager makes Hech available to trade. Hasn't looked like we'll be able to sign him long term either. Trade him for a 3B or pitching. If we get Joc then Ozuna is available. We should be able to also get some nice pieces for him, mainly pitching. Then you extend Gordon, sign Cueto, sign someone to platoon at 1B with Bour and the team looks pretty good. Not to mention we'd have Urias hopefully in 2017 to pitch with Cueto and whoever else we sign or trade for. we'd still have holes or issues but moving in the right direction. 

Exactly, a trade like this will help replenish our system and help fill needs long term instead of trying to plug in holes with stop gap signings. Hech is looking for an Andrus type contract and he should get something under what Crawford just got. If Seager can play 3B I say you put him there, and flip Prado for more pitching along with Ozuna with Joc coming back in the trade. Slotting Pederson behind Stanton would be insane.

Cueto signing would be nice, and would put us in a forward progression if that is what they are thinking.

1. Gordon

2. Yelich

3. Seager

4. Stanton

5. Pederson

6. Bour

7. Realmuto

8. Hech

It is nice, but Dodgers haul IMO trumps all.

Yep. Either haul would be really nice.

I love Jose, but if we can get THAT kind of a deal for him, you do it. It patches up our roster with more young talent and makes other players expendable to land even more pieces.

Exactly, a trade like this will help replenish our system and help fill needs long term instead of trying to plug in holes with stop gap signings. Hech is looking for an Andrus type contract and he should get something under what Crawford just got. If Seager can play 3B I say you put him there, and flip Prado for more pitching along with Ozuna with Joc coming back in the trade. Slotting Pederson behind Stanton would be insane.

Cueto signing would be nice, and would put us in a forward progression if that is what they are thinking.

1. Gordon

2. Yelich

3. Seager

4. Stanton

5. Pederson

6. Bour

7. Realmuto

8. Hech

That lineup is beyond nasty.

Never thought I'd be this open to trading Fernandez.

1. Gordon

2. Yelich

3. Seager

4. Stanton

5. Pederson

6. Bour

7. Realmuto

8. Hech

Is Solano pitching now? that I don't see him in the lineup

Yeah that lineup is sick, even though Joc Pederson got cold after his crazy hot start he is still a threat. We saw what he did against at Dodger Stadium and always a thread to go yard. With more experience he will only get better, also gives us a bonafide center fielder, although I don't know how he grades out defensively. 

@MarlinsLou needs to jump in on this.

Guest Vince0926
I leave the best for last always.

But all these players would be expensive around the same time Jose is a free agent so what does it matter?

Lol [uSER=5712]@Vince0926[/uSER] you just quoted me on Solano. But from what I just listed not really. We are pretty certain to lock up Gordon. Yelich and Stanton are already locked in. Realmuto is controlled same goes for everyone else. The only guy that isn't is Hech, who we can go year to year if we want or trade him after next year. His salary is won't get crazy unless he keeps on doing what he did last year. If he really wants that Andrus contract, you tell him "Thanks for the memories" and move the heck on.

If we are going to use a small market budget then we need to obtain the mentality as well.

I can't believe there are people on here saying that trading Jose would be acceptable.

Maybe because a Godfather-type package could (and probably would) actually benefit this team in the long run? It's acceptable to trade anybody if you get a monster offer that could plug a bunch of holes with elite young talent and make other players expendable in the process.

It wouldn't benefit the team nearly as much as keeping Jose.  Also, have you learned nothing from previous instances in which the Marlins made "monster" deals that were supposed to "benefit the team in the long run" and did the exact opposite?

They traded for prospects then, they won't now and its shortsighted to not understand how this benefits the Marlins if a team overpays. Jose is gone in 3 years, gone no chance he is still on the team. Why mortgage the future to possibly be better in 2016?

It wouldn't benefit the team nearly as much as keeping Jose.  Also, have you learned nothing from previous instances in which the Marlins made "monster" deals that were supposed to "benefit the team in the long run" and did the exact opposite?

Oh so because the Cabrera trade didn't work out, we should never make another big trade again?

And how wouldn't it benefit the team nearly as much as keeping Jose (which we might not even do once he comes up for FA)? Explain.

They traded for prospects then, they won't know and its shortsighted to not understand how this benefits the Marlins if a team overpays. Jose is gone in 3 years, gone no chance he is still on the team. Why mortgage the future to possibly be better in 2016?

Is there a chance this proposed Dodgers trade makes us better in 2016 and 17 than it would if Jose was still here? I believe I know the answer but if its not a yes then theres a problem

Is there a chance this proposed Dodgers trade makes us better in 2016 and 17 than it would if Jose was still here? I believe I know the answer but if its not a yes then theres a problem

Is there a chance? Yes. Is there a chance it makes us better in 2018 and beyond? Absolutely because Jose won't be here anyway. So a chance at being as good or better the next 2 years and basically a guarantee of being better after that.

They traded for prospects then, they won't now and its shortsighted to not understand how this benefits the Marlins if a team overpays. Jose is gone in 3 years, gone no chance he is still on the team. Why mortgage the future to possibly be better in 2016?

Admin, are you starting to feel like this might happen? I trust your instincts more than anyone here.