Loria moving forward with Marlins sales talks

Admin

The question is no longer if Jeffrey Loria will sell the Marlins. It’s how quickly.

According to people briefed on the situation in the past week, Loria is fully expected to sell the team sometime this year, barring an unforeseen change of heart. He has decided it’s time to move on from baseball.

The Marlins are actively engaged in discussions with four groups and have had additional conversations with two others. MLB is aware of the identity of the Marlins suitors, which include both local and out-of-town investors.

The Marlins, as of Friday, had not struck a deal with any of the six suitors but would like to reach an agreement with someone in the coming months, with closing and MLB approval before the end of the year.

And don’t assume that all these bidders would dramatically increase payroll. That could depend in part on how much Fox is willing to pay the Marlins after their local TV deal expires after 2020. The Marlins pocket the least local TV revenue in baseball.

Loria has consistently declined to comment since sales rumors surfaced.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article136510588.html#storylink=cpy

So the 1.6 figure was pure fantasy. Sounds bout right.

I think it's pretty close. MLBTR says "between 1.4 and 1.7"

they also pointed out that the 309.5 of Stanton's $325m deal is still yet to be paid out. lol. loria's such a slimeball fuck. "I'll sign him to the largest contract of all time, one in which there's no way he'd ever leave the Marlins... and then I ain't paying that shit."

this cocksucker profitted tens of millions of dollars over the last decade from owning this team, and now he's going to make a profit of over a billion dollars. it's disgusting.

BRING ON A NEW OWNER THAT ISN'T AWFUL (please)

they also pointed out that the 309.5 of Stanton's $325m deal is still yet to be paid out. lol. loria's such a slimeball fuck. "I'll sign him to the largest contract of all time, one in which there's no way he'd ever leave the Marlins... and then I ain't paying that shit."

this cocksucker profitted tens of millions of dollars over the last decade from owning this team, and now he's going to make a profit of over a billion dollars. it's disgusting.

While as fans it has been very frustrating, he's done some very good business for himself. Most of us would do exactly the same given the opportunity.

It proves he's the best business man in the world.

By disgusting, I think you mean evil genius

From Buster Olney:  sorry if already posted

I would be OK if a potential group brought in a popular player if it means they truly intend to spend, compete and not anger the fan base.

We can never begin to ascertain the potential of the Miami baseball market until Jeffrey Loria completes the sale of the Miami Marlins because of how Loria shadows the perception of the franchise. For a lot of fans, the Marlins without Loria would be the Death Star after the departure of Darth Vader.

Loria is moving forward with sale talks, writes Barry Jackson, and he will soon cash in on his profitable baseball investment.

Whoever the new owners turn out to be, they must recognize the full depth of the fan base’s anger toward Loria, who slashed his payroll, often fielded noncompetitive teams and negotiated a ballpark deal that drained taxpayers. Because of this, generations of Miami fans have made a habit of staying away from the relatively young home of the Marlins, which opened in 2012, and refusing to spend money they believed would land in Loria’s pockets.

The new owners will need a reset, in the same way the Los Angeles Dodgers did following Frank McCourt's ugly reign. And the Marlins will need instant credibility. The new Dodgers regime got credibility mostly by spending and taking on players like Adrian Gonzalez, but they also rebranded the team. An important step was the inclusion of Magic Johnson in the ownership group, because of Magic’s reputation with folks in L.A. His history with the city made fans willing to take him at his word that the new owners were going to spend money and try relentlessly to win. And that’s what has happened.

This is why the new owners, whoever they are, should make a strong effort to persuade Derek Jeter to be part of the solution. And MLB should do all that it can to aid in that, to the degree that it requires the buyers to try to make that happen as a stipulation for purchasing the team.

What? Olney is saying the next owners need to bring in a star player and Derek Jeter for the fan base to care?

I don't know if that's accurate.

As soon as Loria leaves the stupid casual fans will think dumb things like "oh now the stadium isn't taking our tax dollars." All the new owner needs to do is not be a dick and make sure the team is competitive and the people will come.

They don't need a big splash off the bat.

Consistency and an early emphasis on creating a winner should be enough.