Jeter asks Perez, Dawson, McKeon and Conine to stay

SonOfJack

My guess is they had been given long-term contracts and firing them before the ownership change meant that Loria was responsible for picking up the remaining years of those deals.  

Gotta hope this is the case...man I would have loved to have seen Loria's face when he learned what happened....... :8_laughing:

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-marlins-legends-in-limbo-with-jeter-and-new-ownership/

What the hell is going on here? None of the way this is being handled sounds good. Seems like Jeter has been fine with everything else but whatever is happening with him and Conine, McKeon, Dawson, and Perez is just baffling and insulting. What's so hard about showing some respect for these guys? 

Perez and Dawson were recently called into a meeting with Jeter, the team’s new CEO, and team president Michael Hill, and provided the update by Jeter, who furthermore told the two Hall of Famers that while they could attend spring training, they’d be spending their time with the minor leaguers, not the major leaguers. Apparently, wondering how badly the new boss wanted them around, Perez asked Jeter if they were still allowed to go into the clubhouse. The answer came back yes, but it apparently didn’t soothe or solve things.

The two Hall of Famers were said to have left the meeting “ticked off,” so it isn’t clear whether they will remain with the club in any capacity.

“That’s alright, I understand,” McKeon said. “It’s part of the game. It’s new ownership … I feel sad for all the good fans we had in Florida. But I’ll come back. I’ll be back.”

McKeon, who has a couple other opportunities already, added, “Jeffrey Loria was the best owner I ever worked for. He never interfered, not one time. I wish I could tell the people of Florida – it wasn’t him. It was other people who sold him a bill of goods.”

Man making 100k just to chill and do community service events would be pretty pretty dope. 

If they needed the money and had less pride in their work... like you and I? Yeah then sure why not.

But for them, guys who don't need the money and can get better opportunities and actually (here's the big one...) want to do more to actually help this team succeed than just showing up to take pictures at a charity event... I can't blame them for turning that offer down. 

The fact that they seemed most upset about having a reduced role with assisting the major league team than anything else tells me a lot about why these guys were still a part of this organization for so long. 

• 2 weeks later...

Derek Jeter reached out and indicated to the two that the team really didn’t want to fire them -- and then Perez and Dawson were offered roles in which they were not to be in uniform, or on the field -- and for $25,000 each.

To put that number in context in the Marlins’ world: Jeter will make about $27,000 in salary per day over the 186-day baseball calendar in his first year as a first-time club executive.

From Buster Olney... Jeter will make about $27,000 PER DAY as Marlins CEO and he wanted to cut the salaries of Dawson Perez Conine and McKeon down to $25,000 from about $100,000. How can he not have afforded to keep them? What an idiot. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jeter commented for the first time about the dismissals of Jeff Conine, Andre Dawson, Tony Perez and Jack McKeon. All except McKeon later were offered - and turned down - new jobs with lesser responsibilities and dramatically diminished salaries.

“The version of what happened is what happened,” Jeter said of a story first reported by The Herald. “We made it clear that the former president [David Samson] wasn’t coming back. Those guys were special assistants to the president. So when he was notified he wasn’t coming back, he was told to notify the people that work for him. So they were notified.

“After we got approved for the team, I reached back and said I’d love to use you guys in some capacity. Came into the office, we spoke to them, let them know what capacity it was. And it was their decision. And I respect that decision. It’s up to them what they wanted to do. But it’s a different organization now. We’re running things a little bit differently. So they had that option and I respect their opinion.”

Jeter explaining his side of the Conine McKeon Dawson Perez story... really not much different than what was reported.