March 20, 20188 yr The Marlins today optioned RHP Sandy Alcantara, OF Braxton Lee, and RHP Nick Wittgren to Triple-A New Orleans. The Marlins now have 42 players in Major League camp.
March 20, 20188 yr This says a few things... They're wisely not wasting service time with Alcantara... Braxton Lee getting cut means a non roster guy like Scott Van Slyke is pretty much guaranteed to be the 4th outfielder... Wittgren just returned from injury yesterday, he'll be back up shortly but probably needed more time to build back up...
March 20, 20188 yr I think he also could use the extra seasoning. I don't like Brinson making the team if he does, but at least he's shown he's ready. This is true. Alcantara's major league time last season wasn't great and that's more than enough reason to hold him down longer so he definitely isn't being kept down *just* to delay service time.
March 20, 20188 yr Super excited to see Alacantara going down, and glad that Van Slyke showed up this spring. Lee is completely devoid of power and they really needed some in the lineup and off the bench.
March 20, 20188 yr glad that Van Slyke showed up this spring He has a contract and was required to show up. Did you expect him to stay home?
March 20, 20188 yr Wondering how much of Braxton Lee's cut is about service time. We don't talk about it much with him because he's labeled as more of a backup but he is a promising piece and his service clock could be worth monitoring as well.
March 20, 20188 yr I assume all 4 of these guys make the team and the only question is which of Turner, Nicolino, and Smith goes to the bullpen as the long reliever. Both Brett Graves and Elieser Hernandez probably stay and start the season on the DL based on Mattingly's comments yesterday.
March 20, 20188 yr In this case, I'm sure that sending Sandy down is legit. Sending down Brinson would be about as stupid as the Braves sending down Acuna. I hope that gets fixed in the next CBA. Its fucking stupid.
March 20, 20188 yr Wondering how much of Braxton Lee's cut is about service time. We don't talk about it much with him because he's labeled as more of a backup but he is a promising piece and his service clock could be worth monitoring as well. I think calling him up in June would benefit Braxton more than anything. Gives more at bats and playing time especially if Brinson ends up being the opening day CF. I assume all 4 of these guys make the team and the only question is which of Turner, Nicolino, and Smith goes to the bullpen as the long reliever. Both Brett Graves and Elieser Hernandez probably stay and start the season on the DL based on Mattingly's comments yesterday. Good idea about putting Graves on the DL. I think Despaigne, Turner, and Smith should make the team. Nicolino has been given more than enough ample time to turn it around. His slider isn't anything special. Any decent team will destroy him.
March 20, 20188 yr When did Hernandez get hurt He didn't. Last week Monday he had dental work done including getting a wisdom tooth removed and it left his face swollen and he didn't pitch for a week. He got back to work recently but Mattingly says he won't be built up enough to be ready by Opening Day so putting him on the DL is the way to go.
March 20, 20188 yr He has a contract and was required to show up. Did you expect him to stay home? I guess part of me did. Hard to shake off that COL.
March 20, 20188 yr Author I guess part of me did. Hard to shake off that COL. What do the Colorado Rockies have to do with this?
March 20, 20188 yr Rotation : Urena-Straily-Despaigne-Turner-Nicolino OF : DD-Brinson-Maybin I think Shuck and SVS were finalist of one OF backup spot.
March 20, 20188 yr Rotation : Urena-Straily-Despaigne-Turner-Nicolino OF : DD-Brinson-Maybin I think Shuck and SVS were finalist of one OF backup spot. No way Nicolino is in the rotation over Smith.
March 20, 20188 yr No way Nicolino is in the rotation over Smith. I know. But Nicolino was an out-of-option guy. He will earn it at first.
March 20, 20188 yr What do the Colorado Rockies have to do with this? If you have to ask, then you’ll never know.
March 20, 20188 yr I know. But Nicolino was an out-of-option guy. He will earn it at first. You’re absolutely right that being out of options is gonna keep him on the team, but I think more in a long relief kind of role. Because even though he’s nowhere near a polished product, Caleb smith misses bats and we sorely need that kind of arm.
March 20, 20188 yr I thought Braxton Lee was going to make the team. Really like this guy. Shuck has done well but he’s a very similar player to Lee.
March 20, 20188 yr Like Rays in this season, how about 4-man rotation? Well, we have nothing to lose. Just for saving prospects and money.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.