2018 Season Overall Impressions

SilverBullet

I wanted to make a new thread for this because I think the things in this thread aren't just about Opening Day and will be season long things to take note of with impressions on how things are changing with the new ownership compared to the past. Let's add to this more and more but here's what I've noticed as new and different after just one game, some little some big...

-There's definitely more use of the color black. In 2017 it looked like the Marlins were dropping the black in everything except their uniforms and were embracing their unique shade of light blue paired with their orange and some yellow and things were brighter and more colorful. This year everything has jumped right back to a ton of black with orange and white accents. The scoreboard graphics, the programs, the schedule magnets and little booklets, the souvenir cups, the dugout roofs and walls, the signage around the ballpark, the walls of the backstop behind home plate, even the graphics in the emails I've gotten... black black black. Not sure if this is a one year color scheme to sleek and trendy or if this is a sign of Jeter preferring less color but so far I don't like it. Seems like a downgrade from 2017s colors.

-Definitely looks like the first order of business for embracing the community is making everything about the city of Miami and all of it's specific areas and the 305 area code and stuff like that. It was overwhelming. Don't think I hate it because it did feel "very Miami" so it might work but everywhere I saw the names of the areas here like Bayside Wynwood Dade Broward Miramar Hialeah etc etc. When we got 3 outs in the 5th inning they said that was because we're in the 305 lol. Video on the big screen showed Miami people doing Miami things (playing dominoes and drinking Cuban coffee, nightlife, etc) while wearing Marlins gear. Some of it is cheesy but, again, it might work because that's just the way it is down here and hey nothing else has worked in the past so why not? 

-Music. Definitely seemed to be more of it and louder and more "Miami specific" with Latin and reggaeton and all that crap. It's not my cup of tea but again it might work because it did feel more "like Miami" and who knows if the casual fans do enjoy this more than whatever random music they had before. They could probably tone it down some but it's there for now and it might work out. 

-Mermaids are back. I didn't hate the Mermaids their first go around but Jeter wants to change things and make them more professional so he gets rid of a meaningless mascot race meant for the kids yet he brings back the Mermaids? I didn't agree with that logic and if that's the choice Id rather have the mascot race as my kid enjoyed that and at least that had a purpose and a target audience. The Mermaids just bring out a groan from the crowd in my opinion and will likely be laughed at.

-Already ranted on this but gonna put this here briefly because it's on topic... open the roof more all you want for cool night games but never again for a day game. I literally have a sun burn and my family hated it and was dying to leave. It was unbearable.

...discuss these and leave other impressions as well... 

Here's photographic evidence of the 2018 color scheme compared to 2017, comparing the same things, the cover of the programs, the schedule magnets, and the ad about radio station coverage throughout the state... Light blue, orange and some yellow vs Black with some orange and white...

[ATTACH]1850._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Keep an eye out for this in the dugouts as well because it's very noticeable as well.

1522419490888.thumb.jpg.08430b300ae1dbc0f6c9f8e317e1ae24.jpg

Oh don't know how I forgot this one...

Concession lines were a problem. 40 mins to an hour wait. That's a third of the game missed while standing in line!!! It was a packed house so I understand that but other teams have sellouts often so there has to be a solution to speed it up. A Cubs fan near me said "They're just not prepared for a crowd of this size." That seemed like a fair and not over reacting assessment. It's a concern because if Jeter wants big crowds when we are good again this can't be happening. 

And the parking garages... It took me over an hour to leave the first base garage. Again, I understand the crowd was large but there has to be a solution to this. 

The 5th Base tent outside the park was really nice. Air conditioned comfort before and after the game. My family and I hung out in there for a little while. I didn't care for the music, but some people may enjoy that aspect of it. Just a little thing they added this year that wasn't reported much.

The 5th Base tent outside the park was really nice. Air conditioned comfort before and after the game. My family and I hung out in there for a little while. I didn't care for the music, but some people may enjoy that aspect of it. Just a little thing they added this year that wasn't reported much.

This was mentioned on the broadcast but I hadn’t heard about it until yesterday to your point 

Ok so I will just add comments to the thread instead of quoting for now. I wasn't at the game and probably won't make it out until the Red Sox series but I just comments on a couple things.

Maybe Jeter is going to more a 3 color scheme which I am always a big fan of. Simplify it with Black, orange, white. I am a better fan of that then the other colors. The sea Blue used last year would have been okay if really have a direction with it. Seemed like a change up and prior ownership never really embraced it. For all we know this could just be a transition until the next rebranding or it could end up being the colors he used for the new logos.

The Miami thing is a marketing ploy and is gonna start getting old eventually. I am already tired of it, but I see his intentions. Give the fans a voice they never really had. During the pregram he said they had 20 corporate sponsors they never had before. Now that is something good to hear and defintely a step in the right direction for sure.

Music blasting I don' think is needed. Many of us will probably just tune it out. I could deal with it in right field on Saturday when they had a little cover band doing songs but blasting all game? I hope that gets changed.

The issue with the Marlins Mermaids is they look ridiculous. They have no real coordination and it serves no purpose. They looked embarrasing during the DJ Khaled song and have looked bad for years. Jeter probably ends up canning the idea later on. 

Now the issue with concessions would be an issue. Game wasn't packed, way more stuff going on for the ASG last year and such and concessions were a breeze. That's disappointing to hear. Getting out of the parkaging garage isn't surprising. I don't think that is an issue we will be able to avoid anytime soon. That will always be a problem. Location has to do with that.

I've been to a decent amount of Nets games at the Barclays. they do the same shit. where the Marlins are doing WHATS UP 305 THIS IS BEISBOL, they really try to play up the WHATS UP BROOKLYN WE HIP HOP. i get the branding, but... yeah. it's annoying.

and i think the attempt to mute the colors by adding more black is just a logical step to bringing the teal back soon.

Oh don't know how I forgot this one...

Concession lines were a problem. 40 mins to an hour wait. That's a third of the game missed while standing in line!!! It was a packed house so I understand that but other teams have sellouts often so there has to be a solution to speed it up. A Cubs fan near me said "They're just not prepared for a crowd of this size." That seemed like a fair and not over reacting assessment. It's a concern because if Jeter wants big crowds when we are good again this can't be happening. 

And the parking garages... It took me over an hour to leave the first base garage. Again, I understand the crowd was large but there has to be a solution to this. 

These have been problems since they moved to the new park. There's always an excuse or two - the traffic situation is always blamed on the police - but this is now year 7 in the new park and it happens every single time they draw a crowd.

Not to be cynical or snarky, but it's going to be a few years before the team is good again, so they have time to figure this out. Lord knows Loria/Samson never did...

Guest CHRISTYTOD

I really LIKE the extra black and lack of the bright colors. I think all of the items posted above are classier looking than last year. Thank you for showing those of us who are out of state and can't get to games!  I love it!

Guest CHRISTYTOD
and i think the attempt to mute the colors by adding more black is just a logical step to bringing the teal back soon.

one can only HOPE we get the teal back. I loved our old colors and logos. I just can't get used to this crayon-box we have going on now.

one can only HOPE we get the teal back. I loved our old colors and logos. I just can't get used to this crayon-box we have going on now.

when the team switched from Florida to Miami they slowly removed all traces of "Florida" from the uniforms, which was blatant, but at that same time they got rid of practically all the teal and went straight black. that made getting rid of the teal and transitioning into the new color scheme less jarring

Funny thing was when they said “there’s three outs in the fifth inning, you know what that means?” I blurted out Cafecito time? As a joke... then I was echoed by the PA Announcer. I was like wait.....what??  

Im all for Cafecito, I just didn’t expect that from a major league team. Not knocking it, cause a lot of the younger cuban American people around social media consider 3:05 pm Cafecito time, and there’s a cult following for drinking Cafecito, so I think it could be a cool thing. Just kind of didn’t expect it. 

Im always down for free Cafecito. 

I thought the cafecito thing was silly until they said they were actually giving out free cafecito to a lucky row. I'm from a Cuban family and that is a great idea like it or not. People are gonna enjoy that one. The 305 part was silly but the giving out of free coffee will catch on quickly. 

Jeter with a letter today saying they've heard the complaints and are working on fixing problems from Opening day including concession lines and the parking issues both entering and exiting the ballpark. 

This feels VERY different than Loria. Some will say this is cheap talk but they have no reason to even put out a letter like this. Remains to be seen if they follow through but this is a pleasant surprise a day after a not as pleasant Opening day for me...

[ATTACH]1856._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Screenshot_20180330-185419.thumb.jpg.99b1157bd28129d69a2c776033fb1b9d.jpg

The tent idea was done at the All Star game last year. I wonder if the idea came from that. Also it's a great idea to alleviate the issues with exiting the parking a bit. If you get a couple hundred people to stop off for a quick meal and a drink after the game you definitely create less of a traffic flow exiting at once. With that said, it works the other way as well. Maybe next time when leaving a crowded Marlins game I might purposely stay at the 5th Base Tent to relax and allow more cars to leave before I bother getting into my car. Bottom line, great idea all around. 

Jeter with a letter today saying they've heard the complaints and are working on fixing problems from Opening day including concession lines and the parking issues both entering and exiting the ballpark. 

This feels VERY different than Loria. Some will say this is cheap talk but they have no reason to even put out a letter like this. Remains to be seen if they follow through but this is a pleasant surprise a day after a not as pleasant Opening day for me...

[ATTACH]1856[/ATTACH]

Luckily for Jeter he wont have to worry about too many more HUGE crowds on the year.

Very first impression: why is Wallach on the team and starting?

Realmuto injured is the only reason he's here. Don't concern yourself with him, he's just filler, a replacement piece. He's not part of the plan. Why's he startng? Because Mattingly rather have Telis as a pinch hit option instead of Wallach who is an automatic out. Even though Telis is nothing special either I get what Mattingly is thinking there.  

So the team is shifting more right? And it seems more analytically driven too because I see Anderson moving to the 2nd base side and Rojas staying at short so it's clearly not just everybody slide over to the left some more. Anderson has been on both sides of Castro too, at the 2nd base position and in shallow right field as well. This is new if I'm not mistaken. 

Realmuto injured is the only reason he's here. Don't concern yourself with him, he's just filler, a replacement piece. He's not part of the plan. Why's he startng? Because Mattingly rather have Telis as a pinch hit option instead of Wallach who is an automatic out. Even though Telis is nothing special either I get what Mattingly is thinking there.  

Actually, Wallach is starting because he's better defensively than Telis from what I've read. Telis can't hit either. 

Anyone else notice the new brewery that opened up at the stadium? It’s at one of the parking garages. Finally, someone opened something up. Looks like it could be a cool spot. I was with the kid, so we didn’t check it out. But next game I will. I think they are calling it “night life brewery”. I ended up going up to the 300’s section to get stuff from the concessions, first time I have to use that trick since 2012 season. No line up there, but the people around me that went to get stuff, took at least three half innings to get back to their seat.