Greg Cote challenges Jeter to spend on Realmuto and Machado

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article211413379.html

Greg Cote wants Jeter to extend Realmuto and make a run at Manny Machado in free agency as a way to prove to Miami that he is committed to winning. While I get the general idea he's proposing, I see a few things that can be argued...

-Cote says that teams MUST spend in free agency to win... that's a tricky one because spending for the sake of spending is a recipe for disaster and is part of why we're in the mess we're in in 2018.

-He says that Loria never spent enough to field competitive teams... I disagree and think Loria actually spent too much the problem was he didn't spend wisely.

-He assumes Realmuto wants to stay. While that hasn't been proven one way or the other Cote needs to remember it takes two parties to agree to an extension. Let's not forget both Jose Fernandez and Marcell Ozuna turned down extension offers in the past.

-He makes it seem like Jeter has no other options to win over the city and fanbase... nope.

-He thinks Miami is perfect for Machado and while it is perfect in a vacuum... is this really the right time for Miami to suddenly spike payroll and throw big money at one guy? Machado isn't old but he will likely be closer to 30 when the Marlins compete again IF that. This might be another situation where we'd be wasting money on a guy who's only going to decline when we need him to be best.

Timing is questionable on signing Manny, but they could do it and just backload it where his big paydays would come during the winning and possibly higher revenue years.

Yes 100% to signing JT.

if anything you fucking frontload it since you have so few salary commitments at this point.

They are gonna make so much fucking money this year.

This can be completely deceptive, but I really fear that our days are numbered with Realmuto.  As much as he's tearing it up on the field, I haven't seen him crack so much as a smile this year, or show any emotion at all.  I get the impression he's strictly business this year.

I hope he just has a great poker face, and I'm reading way too much into it.  He just doesn't look like he's enjoying being a Marlin very much - even though he's having the best year of his career.

Will making him the face of the franchise change that?  Is he willing to be?

Would I love to keep Realmuto long term? Absolutely.

Would I like to have Machado on the team? No question, superstar player.

However Machado, as good and young as he is, is going to command waaay too much money. If he happened to come down here on a bit of an, "I'm coming back to my home city" discount, then ... maybe.

Machado won't take a discount to play here not with the money he can earn elsewhere and with the state of this team. Nor should he. It's not like his hometown team is selling out and is one player away from a championship team.

And I wouldn't worry about Realmuto not smiling. He's never been a smiling all the time player regardless, that's just him. With that said I've seen him look happy several times this season. I mean it's not like he's moping around all grumpy either.

Sorry if I abused anyone with this post. 

frontload JT's contract - a player will sign if you offer an overpayment. They'd be foolish not to.  I would like to see Machado just because I would consider actually watching games again as the offense would get a slight boost and it wouldn't be a flaming pile of shit night in and night out - but it makes no sense to go all-in on a stupidly expensive player at this point when it would do nothing except move you further down the draft board.  Machado ain't putting any more fans in the stands. 

Machado ain't putting any more fans in the stands. 

I don’t agree. 

I haven’t been to a game yet this season but if they signed Machado tommorow I would be at his first game and likely go three times a month for the remainder of the season. 

I don’t agree. 

I haven’t been to a game yet this season but if they signed Machado tommorow I would be at his first game and likely go three times a month for the remainder of the season. 

But would enough people think like you? Would attendance significantly increase with a Machado signing or would it, like always, be the same garbage where fans only turn out once we're truly in contention late into the season? 

Because I hate to beat the same dead horse but fans didn't show up with their supposed favorite homegrown Marlin star Stanton chasing 61 home runs so why would they show up if "some Orioles player who is from Miami" just signed here? 

Also Machado, as good as he is, isn't a recognizable face of the game. I feel like we can ask everyone in Miami "who is Manny Machado" and they'll have no clue outside of serious baseball fans. Just being from Miami doesn't automatically make him a superstar in Miami. 

But would enough people think like you? Would attendance significantly increase with a Machado signing or would it, like always, be the same garbage where fans only turn out once we're truly in contention late into the season? 

Because I hate to beat the same dead horse but fans didn't show up with their supposed favorite homegrown Marlin star Stanton chasing 61 home runs so why would they show up if "some Orioles player who is from Miami" just signed here? 

Also Machado, as good as he is, isn't a recognizable face of the game. I feel like we can ask everyone in Miami "who is Manny Machado" and they'll have no clue outside of serious baseball fans. Just being from Miami doesn't automatically make him a superstar in Miami. 

It’s quite possible that not enough people would think like me. 

But I’m really not quite sure what you mean by “Machado isn’t a recognizable face of the game”.

If a sports fan doesn’t recognize Manny Machado then they’re not a baseball fan. Dude is on MLB Network nonstop. 

That's because he plays for Baltimore.  Unfortunately for us, it would be the same story if he played for us.

I have a feeling that he'll be going to a large market, where he'll become one of the faces of MLB.

That's because he plays for Baltimore.  Unfortunately for us, it would be the same story if he played for us.

I have a feeling that he'll be going to a large market, where he'll become one of the faces of MLB.

Yankees because Yankees.

yep, if Stanton didn't put people in there last year then Machado sure as shit ain't going to put more people in the seats.  For all his faults, Stanton is a more "exciting" player for the casual fan to get hyped up over because there just aren't many who have ever been able to do what he does - (insert 5k's joke here) hit nearly 500ft blasts.

But I’m really not quite sure what you mean by “Machado isn’t a recognizable face of the game”.

If a sports fan doesn’t recognize Manny Machado then they’re not a baseball fan. Dude is on MLB Network nonstop. 

That's what I mean. You have to be a true baseball fan to recognize Machado. He's not recognizable to the city of Miami even though he's from Miami. He doesn't transcend the sport even in his home town. Which is why I don't think signing him would seriously increase attendance. People won't go to Marlins Park "just" because a Miami born player signs here. 

With that said, could his Miami ties be an asset to this team one day in a perfect world? Yes but it would take him signing here, staying successful, and leading this team to championships. If that happened yes the city would embrace him and put him on a pedestal but signing him ain't doing it alone. 

Yankees because Yankees.

Yeah, depending on where they're trying to be with payroll.  Judge will be hitting arbitration before long, and really his only comp is Stanton.  While he won't get as much as Stanton (in arbitration), it's not unreasonable to think they'll have $50M+ per year tied up between just Stanton & Judge for the next couple of years.  Closer to $60M when they sign him long-term.

Obviously they can afford whatever they want to do, it just depends on what they want to spend.