Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Urena

Featured Replies

His fip is 3.95 which is the second best for the starters on the team behind Trevor Richards. He’s not been that bad. 

 

 

  • Author
What he needs now was consistency.

 

He has now allowed five earned runs or more in four of his last seven starts.... wrong consistency

 

 

I think he has shown significant promise at times and needs to find consistency. Too many times he has gotten off to a good start and then been unable to finish an inning. Needs to stay focused every pitch and I find sometimes he still think he can lay a mid-90s fastball down the middle and he’ll be ok. 

 

 

I think he has shown significant promise at times and needs to find consistency. Too many times he has gotten off to a good start and then been unable to finish an inning. Needs to stay focused every pitch and I find sometimes he still think he can lay a mid-90s fastball down the middle and he’ll be ok. 

 

It's only my opinion,maybe he's just trying to do too much in order to keep his position in this rotation,with the new arms coming to the team from the minor league in the next year no veteran starting pitcher was safe to keep his spot in the rotation.

 

 

It's only my opinion,maybe he's just trying to do too much in order to keep his position in this rotation,with the new arms coming to the team from the minor league in the next year no veteran starting pitcher was safe to keep his spot in the rotation.

 

I truly do not think a single professional athlete lacks any self confidence, especially not one with a few years under his belt.

 

 

I haven't bothered to confirm this but haven't they said Urena has actually pitched better this year than last year? Not counting last night of course. 

 

 

I haven't bothered to confirm this but haven't they said Urena has actually pitched better this year than last year? Not counting last night of course. 

 

Yes his numbers have improved. K rate is up.  BB rate is down.  FIP has improved slightly.  BABIP is up though and ERA+ is below league average by a good amount (80).  While better in some rate stats  he’s still clearly not good enough overall.  Numbers are fun hit sometimes it’s easier to step back and look at the obvious

 

 

I don't mean to mock those new-age stats, but it just proves my point. There is always a number or numbers that can be pointed to by someone to show a player is performing better than it seems. Urena has not been good overall this year and I believe he'd be the first to tell you this.

 

 

That's the thing with all these stats. Urena has all these amazing stats better than last year yet his team can't win the games he starts. I know that's not all on Urena but everyone wants to evaluate and acquire all these players based on all these stats when I'd rather have the guy with worse stats if it leads to my team winning than the guy with the pretty analytics yet at the end of the game my team lost again. 

 

 

That's the thing with all these stats. Urena has all these amazing stats better than last year yet his team can't win the games he starts. I know that's not all on Urena but everyone wants to evaluate and acquire all these players based on all these stats when I'd rather have the guy with worse stats if it leads to my team winning than the guy with the pretty analytics yet at the end of the game my team lost again. 

 

So what kind of player would you like to acquire from other teams in the trade ?

 

 

  • Author
That's the thing with all these stats. Urena has all these amazing stats better than last year yet his team can't win the games he starts. I know that's not all on Urena but everyone wants to evaluate and acquire all these players based on all these stats when I'd rather have the guy with worse stats if it leads to my team winning than the guy with the pretty analytics yet at the end of the game my team lost again. 

 

My gripe with Urena is that despite any stats you can find on him, he always has that one inning where he gives up a crooked number and just falls apart and cannot come back from it

 

 

My gripe with Urena is that despite any stats you can find on him, he always has that one inning where he gives up a crooked number and just falls apart and cannot come back from it

 

Yea that's the frustrating thing. No matter how good his numbers seem to be if he blows up every game we can't win. 

 

 

So what kind of player would you like to acquire from other teams in the trade ?

 

Whoever can help us win the most games overall. Oftentimes the analytics do support the right guys but I'm just pointing how sometimes there's a disconnect between numbers and actual wins and it's super frustrating. 

 

 

Why did we make a thread upset that the sinker ball pitcher is giving up homeruns? He hasn't been able to locate his pitches in the last 6 starts. You see that with an increased homerun rate, and an increased walk rate. If he misses, his mid 90s sinker gets hit out, just like every other sinker ball pitcher ever. If there was a rule book to being a sinker ball pitcher, it would read "Rule 1: Don't walk guys. Rule 2: don't miss up with the sinker." I'm not worried yet.

 

 

I don't mean to mock those new-age stats, but it just proves my point. There is always a number or numbers that can be pointed to by someone to show a player is performing better than it seems. Urena has not been good overall this year and I believe he'd be the first to tell you this.

 

They’re not the end all be all of evaluation. They’re a tool.  A useful tool. They can be predictive if used properly 

 

 

I think we can all agree Ureña isn’t a player worth arguing over.  He’s not going to be here when the team gets good.  The End. Let’s archive this discussion now 

 

 

Whoever can help us win the most games overall. Oftentimes the analytics do support the right guys but I'm just pointing how sometimes there's a disconnect between numbers and actual wins and it's super frustrating. 

 

If you could really know who was going to win each game, you wouldn't watch them. At the end of the day the advanced metrics are supposed to inform the way you think about the game, not be the end all be all of it. That level of randomness makes it fun. 

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.