Urena

CyggyMarlin

I think he has shown significant promise at times and needs to find consistency. Too many times he has gotten off to a good start and then been unable to finish an inning. Needs to stay focused every pitch and I find sometimes he still think he can lay a mid-90s fastball down the middle and he’ll be ok. 

It's only my opinion,maybe he's just trying to do too much in order to keep his position in this rotation,with the new arms coming to the team from the minor league in the next year no veteran starting pitcher was safe to keep his spot in the rotation.

It's only my opinion,maybe he's just trying to do too much in order to keep his position in this rotation,with the new arms coming to the team from the minor league in the next year no veteran starting pitcher was safe to keep his spot in the rotation.

I truly do not think a single professional athlete lacks any self confidence, especially not one with a few years under his belt.

I haven't bothered to confirm this but haven't they said Urena has actually pitched better this year than last year? Not counting last night of course. 

Yes his numbers have improved. K rate is up.  BB rate is down.  FIP has improved slightly.  BABIP is up though and ERA+ is below league average by a good amount (80).  While better in some rate stats  he’s still clearly not good enough overall.  Numbers are fun hit sometimes it’s easier to step back and look at the obvious

I don't mean to mock those new-age stats, but it just proves my point. There is always a number or numbers that can be pointed to by someone to show a player is performing better than it seems. Urena has not been good overall this year and I believe he'd be the first to tell you this.

That's the thing with all these stats. Urena has all these amazing stats better than last year yet his team can't win the games he starts. I know that's not all on Urena but everyone wants to evaluate and acquire all these players based on all these stats when I'd rather have the guy with worse stats if it leads to my team winning than the guy with the pretty analytics yet at the end of the game my team lost again. 

That's the thing with all these stats. Urena has all these amazing stats better than last year yet his team can't win the games he starts. I know that's not all on Urena but everyone wants to evaluate and acquire all these players based on all these stats when I'd rather have the guy with worse stats if it leads to my team winning than the guy with the pretty analytics yet at the end of the game my team lost again. 

So what kind of player would you like to acquire from other teams in the trade ?

My gripe with Urena is that despite any stats you can find on him, he always has that one inning where he gives up a crooked number and just falls apart and cannot come back from it

My gripe with Urena is that despite any stats you can find on him, he always has that one inning where he gives up a crooked number and just falls apart and cannot come back from it

Yea that's the frustrating thing. No matter how good his numbers seem to be if he blows up every game we can't win. 

So what kind of player would you like to acquire from other teams in the trade ?

Whoever can help us win the most games overall. Oftentimes the analytics do support the right guys but I'm just pointing how sometimes there's a disconnect between numbers and actual wins and it's super frustrating. 

Why did we make a thread upset that the sinker ball pitcher is giving up homeruns? He hasn't been able to locate his pitches in the last 6 starts. You see that with an increased homerun rate, and an increased walk rate. If he misses, his mid 90s sinker gets hit out, just like every other sinker ball pitcher ever. If there was a rule book to being a sinker ball pitcher, it would read "Rule 1: Don't walk guys. Rule 2: don't miss up with the sinker." I'm not worried yet.

I don't mean to mock those new-age stats, but it just proves my point. There is always a number or numbers that can be pointed to by someone to show a player is performing better than it seems. Urena has not been good overall this year and I believe he'd be the first to tell you this.

They’re not the end all be all of evaluation. They’re a tool.  A useful tool. They can be predictive if used properly 

Whoever can help us win the most games overall. Oftentimes the analytics do support the right guys but I'm just pointing how sometimes there's a disconnect between numbers and actual wins and it's super frustrating. 

If you could really know who was going to win each game, you wouldn't watch them. At the end of the day the advanced metrics are supposed to inform the way you think about the game, not be the end all be all of it. That level of randomness makes it fun. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.