Dump Starting Pitching

97marlin

Why are we still trying to build a team around starting pitching. Our starters suck, we don't really have good long term options. Why don't we just do as the Rays do, and dump the idea of starting pitching. If we find we have an "ace" he can start but other than that let a bullpen guy pitch every day. We should have done this when Jose died RIP. We didn't we still suck. its been shown to work so we don't even have to be progressive. We Need To Do This!

We have tons of guys who are good starters, but if we use them to only go through the order once they will be more successful. Good starting pitching is really hard to have. I think if we just use them more often in smaller amounts they will be more effective. And our overall pitching will be better. Isn't that the goal? Give up less runs?

Having a great bullpen to take over after the fifth inning is one thing. Specifically building a bullpen to go all nine innings is another. The Rays only did what they did this year because they had injuries and their starting pitching sucked outside of Blake Snell. "Bullpenning" is a very risky way to build a team. I'm okay with it in spot situations, but not for a full season.

Having a great bullpen to take over after the fifth inning is one thing. Specifically building a bullpen to go all nine innings is another. The Rays only did what they did this year because they had injuries and their starting pitching sucked outside of Blake Snell. "Bullpenning" is a very risky way to build a team. I'm okay with it in spot situations, but not for a full season.

The Rays were going to do it regardless of how good there pitching staff is. And just to be clear I don't think we should go a new pitcher every innings. I just thinking having a bunch of long guys in the pen, and restrict innings for starters to 2 times through the order can be successful. And considering how many prospects we have who are fine, i think it would make our pitching staff better over all.

The Rays were going to do it regardless of how good there pitching staff is. And just to be clear I don't think we should go a new pitcher every innings. I just thinking having a bunch of long guys in the pen, and restrict innings for starters to 2 times through the order can be successful. And considering how many prospects we have who are fine, i think it would make our pitching staff better over all.

I still don't think that's something sustainable throughout the majority of a season and there's almost no way you can actually build an entire organization around that tactic.

Just because an organization that have no the future (yeah,I mean the Rays) doing something different for whatever reason so we're needed to follow that for whatever reason just because we're suck now ?

It worked! The Rays won 90 games, when was the last time we won 90 games. The Brewers are in the playoffs and won the central. I think the evidence has already been shown to work. Reduce the amount of times players see your pitchers the better they do. Period. We have examples of other organizations who did it and it worked well.