Wells Dusenbury no longer covering Marlins; Sun Sentinel eliminates Marlins beat coverage

Didn't realize they literally got rid of the position entirely. I thought someone would take Wells' spot. That's so bad. I'm shocked they don't think they need a beat reporter for the Marlins... no matter how bad they've been it's still a Major League Baseball team.

What happens when the team actually becomes good again. do they put someone in the role?

For now, this is horrible.

Didn't realize they literally got rid of the position entirely. I thought someone would take Wells' spot

I am assuming it, but I guess it is possible someone else would take it. I just don't see why they'd move Wells and hire someone else for that job when he was doing it fine. When Capozzi was moved at PBPost, nobody new got it.

The position goes away but the assignments can still be handed out to someone else

Yes they'll still have Marlins stories but losing out on daily coverage of one of your city's major sports teams is super lame and can't help the paper. Look at the Herald already advertising that they have daily Marlins coverage when no one else does. I wouldn't think a major newspaper would be ok with giving that up especially in this social media world where up-to-the minute news, information, and rumors are highly sought after. Fans today crave that stuff.

Yes they'll still have Marlins stories but losing out on daily coverage of one of your city's major sports teams is super lame and can't help the paper. Look at the Herald already advertising that they have daily Marlins coverage when no one else does. I wouldn't think a major newspaper would be ok with giving that up especially in this social media world where up-to-the minute news, information, and rumors are highly sought after. Fans today crave that stuff.

Yeah, it's really stupid especially after the better public relations this team have since the arrival of Jeter.

I’m not saying I like it. I don’t work in the paper industry but I would think they looked at clicks and impressions then made a decision based on that. Marlins stories probably garner less interest than they’d hope. I thought Wells was a good reporter. I really liked Healey when he was around. But if the traffic isn’t there and cuts have to be made...what can you do? It is a shame because there’s a shortage of quality marlins coverage even on the web when compared to other baseball teams and other local sports teams

• Like 1

The traditional newspaper industry is a dying breed. Way too many are poorly managed and provide shoddy coverage. Not surprising. Glad to see its back to nothing but awful coverage of the Marlins. Is there no Athletic writer for the Marlins yet?

This is what I see with newspapers:

1. Their readership is down

2. Their ad buys are down.

3. They have smaller coverage overall.

4. Their prices keep going up.

5. They do an awful job with digital coverage.

Until they correct really of those issues, they will continue to die off. Those that can effectively adapt, will do fine.

The traditional newspaper industry is a dying breed. Way too many are poorly managed and provide shoddy coverage. Not surprising. Glad to see its back to nothing but awful coverage of the Marlins. Is there no Athletic writer for the Marlins yet?

This is what I see with newspapers:

1. Their readership is down

2. Their ad buys are down.

3. They have smaller coverage overall.

4. Their prices keep going up.

5. They do an awful job with digital coverage.

Until they correct really of those issues, they will continue to die off. Those that can effectively adapt, will do fine.

I think Andre Fernandez covers the South Florida teams on the Athletic.

He is no longer the daily beat reporter, which means he won't be covering them daily but he will still occasionally write articles about them. I think the biggest difference you'll notice is less coverage on social media. That was where the daily news updates mostly came in. He won't be with the team on a daily basis anymore.

• Like 1