4/25 Post Game

5 hours ago, Rydawg said:

Pitching has been very good.  Even the bullpen has turned it around.  We need BA and Marte back and we need to bring someone else up for our OF.  

Yeah, it seemed like the offense did well (or enough) early on, and the bullpen was blowing leads.  Now the bullpen has largely settled down, and the offense is non-existent.  The starting pitching has mostly been consistent with a blip here and there.

---

I have no idea why they don't have Detweiler go 2 to start.

The whole 2 rule 5 picks in the bullpen thing is getting old.  It's one thing if you found lightning in a bottle and one was doing great, the other not so much, but when both aren't doing well, that hurts too.

I'd have rather had Neidert starting the game than what we had.

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Yeah, it seemed like the offense did well (or enough) early on, and the bullpen was blowing leads.  Now the bullpen has largely settled down, and the offense is non-existent.  The starting pitching has mostly been consistent with a blip here and there.

---

I have no idea why they don't have Detweiler go 2 to start.

The whole 2 rule 5 picks in the bullpen thing is getting old.  It's one thing if you found lightning in a bottle and one was doing great, the other not so much, but when both aren't doing well, that hurts too.

I'd have rather had Neidert starting the game than what we had.

Aside from the last game in the Rays series the offense was not doing well early on either. It was maybe even more putrid then than it is now. 

8 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I think Pop has turned it around already, though, and trusts his stuff a lot more. Campbell doesn't have that yet and we've got other guys ready to go (c'mon down, Bender). So, willing to keep Pop, fine with letting Campbell go back to the Rays.

Edit:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ema2R said:

Don should just retire already. He may be a nice guy but he doesnt seem like a great motivator. This team needs someone with fire, like Girardi used to have on that 06 team....

These posts crack me up. He was an amazing motivator last season but we have a bumpy first few weeks of this season and all of a sudden Mattingly can't do anything right. 

Team wins = manager is great give him all the awards

Team loses = manager sucks get him out

If the Marlins go on a winning streak this week I bet Mattingly is the man yet again.

Edit: I still believe what I said here, but I called out the wrong guy on it.

5 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

These posts crack me up. He was an amazing motivator last season but we have a bumpy first few weeks of this season and all of a sudden Mattingly can't do anything right. 

If the Marlins go on a winning streak this week I bet Mattingly is the man yet again.

Sorry but you are very incorrect about that. You will never find a post by me saying I love Don as a Manager. I dont know about yall but I have never liked him as our manager.

Edited by Ema2R
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ema2R said:

Sorry but you are very incorrect about that. You will never find a post by me saying I love Don as a Manager. I dont know about yall but I have never liked him as our manager.

I was about to add one more line to my post and now I realize I should have added it. I was gonna say your complaints only worked if you were consistent about them. I'm not cool with the people who flip flop on the manager based on how the team is performing but apparently you aren't one of those people so I'm sorry I called you out on it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I was about to add one more line to my post and now I realize I should have added it. I was gonna say your complaints only worked if you were consistent about them. I'm not cool with the people who flip flop on the manager based on how the team is performing but apparently you aren't one of those people so I'm sorry I called you out on it.

I understand you and yes you are 100% correct on that one. I know the flip flop/bandwagoning irks a lot. I honestly think this team is better than what their record says. We are playing without Marte, Alfaro (he was getting hot), Anderson. Im just tired of seeing guys like Sierra, Brinson on our team... I hope to see Bleday, Monte, maybe even Victor Victor on the team by June... and obviously Sixto and Cabrera but we really need some power on this lineup.

Edited by Ema2R
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Erick said:

He does. I’m just saying I’m not sure there’s a manager who doesn’t over the course of a 162 game season.

Exactly. They're all full of faults and every fanbase thinks their current manager is the worst one ever.

Managers should probably be judged more on their entire body/season of work yet it's pretty common for a fanbase to want the manager fired after a singular bad move here and there.

The Kevin Cash in the World Series thing highlighted this really well. Every Rays fan hated him there but it's like they forgot that a big reason they were even in the WS was Kevin Cash himself.

15 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Exactly. They're all full of faults and every fanbase thinks their current manager is the worst one ever.

Managers should probably be judged more on their entire body/season of work yet it's pretty common for a fanbase to want the manager fired after a singular bad move here and there.

The Kevin Cash in the World Series thing highlighted this really well. Every Rays fan hated him there but it's like they forgot that a big reason they were even in the WS was Kevin Cash himself.

Yeah and they hated him for basically following the same formula that made the pitching staff successful all year. 

It’s the same here sometimes. Some of the criticism is justified, but sometimes it’s unwarranted.

Mattingly hasn’t exactly underachieved here to warrant being fired. 

• Like 1

It's pretty clear that the players love Don. I would think that would motivate them? I've always felt that overall, managers have very little impact on the season as a whole. In a game here and there, sure, but overall, it's up to the players to hit it where they ain't and not give up bombs to blow games. Players perform and the team wins. Im pretty sure most of us could put a lineup together and win games as a manager. Hell, with the Dodgers, we could probably "manage a team" all the way to the playoffs. Occasionally, there will be a dude who comes along and does make an impact at the managerial level by truly trying some new stuff that other teams have not adjusted for yet (see: joe maddon). But eventually those things get adjusted to as well and they go back to being a mostly "average" manager again.  

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

That is something I have always thought about.

I’ve always felt like the Manager gets way too much credit if the team wins and way too much blame if the team loses.

Like when a manager is fired after the team doesn’t make the playoffs that year and they bring in a shiny new guy, but they did not improve the team very much and the team doesn’t really win that many more games.

Or when some people in general think that by hiring a “good head coach or manager” then that will make the difference between if the team wins a lot of games or not. Just look back to the Nick Saban years when he was head coach of the Dolphins. 

I understand that some managerial moves can have effects on the outcome of games, like bring in Dugger in a close game and he gives up 5 runs that inning. But still overall, the players are paid to hit and score runs and get strikeouts and catch fly balls. If Donnie brings in Richard Bleier in the 7th inning and Bleier gives up a 2 run HR, some people will blame Donnie for bringing in Bleier instead of Detweiller, for example, when in reality Bleier is being paid a big salary for just one job and that job is to come into games as a relief pitcher and get batters out. And his role and expectation is to do what he is being paid to do. 

Of course, I understand that some in game moves this season have been unusual, and probably all of us will agree on that, but still I don’t think that managers should get as much blame/credit as they do. It’s not like the manager is the one up there striking out 3 times every game or giving up 4 runs in the 8th inning as a relief pitcher.

I think being an MLB manager must be one of the toughest jobs out there. Your team wins a lot of games, you get almost all the credit. Your team loses a lot of games, you’re usually the first one to go, when in reality there is usually about five players that should be the ones getting replaced, but usually they get to stay and the manager has to go and then a new guy comes in and doesn’t really get much better results, since those same players are still playing everyday on the team. 😂

Edited by SirFishFan

Donnie makes common mistake(s) coupled with crucial personal decisions nearly every game though.  I’m sure plenty of managers who had MOTY honors have been fired the following year or soon after, it happens. Regardless, you have to take the good with the bad, but comparing Don to other managers with the same measure of mistakes, Don would be in the highest percentile.  That is a big problem right now and shouldn’t be exaggerated.  Who really knows, without the front office, (just an example) maybe he’s still batting Dickerson at the top.  Flip flopping on managers or players is annoying but with Don it’s understandable because hes constantly bad right now.  He’s been managing long enough to show that 2020 shouldn’t be  some kind of fluke.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, FishFry said:

Donnie makes common mistake(s) coupled with crucial personal decisions nearly every game though.  I’m sure plenty of managers who had MOTY honors have been fired the following year or soon after, it happens. Regardless, you have to take the good with the bad, but comparing Don to other managers with the same measure of mistakes, Don would be in the highest percentile.  That is a big problem right now and shouldn’t be exaggerated.  Who really knows, without the front office, (just an example) maybe he’s still batting Dickerson at the top.  Flip flopping on managers or players is annoying but with Don it’s understandable because hes constantly bad right now.  He’s been managing long enough to show that 2020 shouldn’t be  some kind of fluke.  

1. There’s no way of proving that.

2. How do you know it was a front office move to take Dickerson out of the leadoff spot? What if they wanted Dickerson to be in the leadoff spot? Nobody knows.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Erick said:

1. There’s no way of proving that.

2. How do you know it was a front office move to take Dickerson out of the leadoff spot? What if they wanted Dickerson to be in the leadoff spot? Nobody knows.

1. No way of proving what?  That Don is in the top percentile?  Have you ever seen a pitcher be the last out in a 9th inning game?  

2. Let’s take conventional wisdom and apply that to Donnie’s in-game decisions and it’s safe to assume that if he would take Jazz out in the 4th inning, then he most likely is not smart enough to lead him off the next day, don’t you think?   

Edited by FishFry