5/10 Post Game Thread

22 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

It really feels like this team is one good starting pitcher and one good bat away from finally stepping forward especially with the way the division has been a mess so far.

If Marte returns to form and stays healthy when he comes back then yeah I'd say they're a good bat and a solid starting pitcher away. This is also assuming that we continue to see the version of Jazz we saw earlier this year and he doesn't have some nagging hamstring issue all season long.

It really was dumb, beyond dumb, to not have picked up an available vet starter by now to try and at least get 5 innings or so a game out of them until some of the guys come back.  Dunno, can't really defend the front office for not doing this. It's bizarre that there's just been nothing beyond the blurb about some people watching Anibal.  I'm not opposed to the occasional bullpen game but 2/5 of the "rotation" should not be bullpen games.  Thank God the other 3 starters have been pretty  good to give the pen a bit of a breather in between their "starts".

Catching is a mess.  Wallach is TERRIBLE this season.  not saying he was an all-star last year but how many of us wanted him starting over Alfaro? *raises hand* 

All of this ties into my main, and only really,  gripe with the new regime, they have been tone-deaf when it comes to using opportunities to build on success or positivity within the organization.  NOT criticizing all their changes they've made and talent acquired but man, they really do turn a blind eye when there's an opportunity in an area that can spark more interest in the team.  Speaking about the sloppy handling during the regime change to their response to the first playoff appearance in forever. 

Overall, great progress but after last year we want more and frankly, we DESERVE more as fans of this team.  How the hitting coach hasn't at least been canned at this point is bizarre. 

All that said, I still love this team and thank you for letting me vent for the 2,714th time.  = ) 

• Like 3

The FO should be blamed for some of the lack of depth, especially at catcher and with the starting rotation.  Gio should not have been the only solution as a starter and they should have tried to do more than try to trade for that guy from the White Sox at catcher (he wasn't a sure thing as a hitter before the season started).

I would have liked to have seen the team bulk up with a few hitters after making playoffs, but the team is in a bit of a bind because of Covid.  We have a farm system full of players that need extra time because of the cancelled season last year.  So do you get big names for a shorter run and block all the "kids"?  Hard to fault them for that.

4 hours ago, Michael said:

Depends on the growth.

We'll be fine, shortly. Just gotta tread water at worst until July. Then we can make a strong run. Bats are on the way. Arms are on the way. The growth is happening in AAA and AA, and it will soon spread here.

Playoffs. We'll get there.

Might be time to start a Clap If You Believe thread ...

I actually do agree...this offense will be decent when Marte, Jazz, and maybe even Alf...depending on how he looks...

I just think the hole is going to be too deep to do better then .500 for the rest of the season. 

16 minutes ago, Major-Minor said:

I actually do agree...this offense will be decent when Marte, Jazz, and maybe even Alf...depending on how he looks...

I just think the hole is going to be too deep to do better then .500 for the rest of the season. 

I think we'll keep near .500 into July and get going from there. We'll have call-ups and a trade acquisition and absolutely take off. Just a feeling.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

I think we'll keep near .500 into July and get going from there. We'll have call-ups and a trade acquisition and absolutely take off. Just a feeling.

define "near" .500?    I feel if they're 10 under in July the season is pretty much done. 

15 minutes ago, hovertical said:

define "near" .500?    I feel if they're 10 under in July the season is pretty much done. 

Would depend what record the other teams have obviously but yeah ten under sounds precarious. I would consider near .500 to be within 5 games of it personally. 

5 hours ago, Major-Minor said:

Exactly. And if memory serves me you were also saying this in the offseason.

I said this then and I will say it now...why anyone would be satisfied with this team "showing some growth" but not making playoffs is mindboggling.

I don't know if anyone would be "satisfied" with just showing growth and not making the playoffs.

But I viewed it as a realistic outcome for this season, especially after they didn't really sign anyone to reinforce the team, and depending on the young guys after no minor league season last year.

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

If Marte returns to form and stays healthy when he comes back then yeah I'd say they're a good bat and a solid starting pitcher away. This is also assuming that we continue to see the version of Jazz we saw earlier this year and he doesn't have some nagging hamstring issue all season long.

It really was dumb, beyond dumb, to not have picked up an available vet starter by now to try and at least get 5 innings or so a game out of them until some of the guys come back.  Dunno, can't really defend the front office for not doing this. It's bizarre that there's just been nothing beyond the blurb about some people watching Anibal.  I'm not opposed to the occasional bullpen game but 2/5 of the "rotation" should not be bullpen games.  Thank God the other 3 starters have been pretty  good to give the pen a bit of a breather in between their "starts".

Catching is a mess.  Wallach is TERRIBLE this season.  not saying he was an all-star last year but how many of us wanted him starting over Alfaro? *raises hand* 

All of this ties into my main, and only really,  gripe with the new regime, they have been tone-deaf when it comes to using opportunities to build on success or positivity within the organization.  NOT criticizing all their changes they've made and talent acquired but man, they really do turn a blind eye when there's an opportunity in an area that can spark more interest in the team.  Speaking about the sloppy handling during the regime change to their response to the first playoff appearance in forever. 

Overall, great progress but after last year we want more and frankly, we DESERVE more as fans of this team.  How the hitting coach hasn't at least been canned at this point is bizarre. 

All that said, I still love this team and thank you for letting me vent for the 2,714th time.  = ) 

I agree that it was dumb not to pick up a veteran starter - just the fact that we have a lot of younger guys that'll be on innings limits alone should've been enough to get a vet starter (not just Gio).

Same goes for catching - we knew what we had (or didn't have) going into the season, why there wasn't more of an effort to upgrade is unknown.

And I do understand them potentially not being in a good spot financially after last season's lack of revenues/revenue sharing, and the unknown of the TV deal until the last minute.  If they don't spend money after this offseason, with normal revenue streams returning, as well as the TV deal and naming rights deal, it'll be telling and will look like more of the "same old Marlins."

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

I see this so different.  I was totally against the rebuild because I knew the first 3 to 4 years would be very lean even with modest growth.  I didn't want to go through that yet again.  

However, since I obviously had no choice in the matter, I knew I had to buy into the rebuild and I have.  Last years playoff run was exciting and a treat, but I knew it was more about the circumstances than the amount of progress we had made.  

We need to stay the course.  Let's let the young guys develop.  That's why I have all of the patience in the world with the Brinson's and Diaz's in our system. As long as they aren't blocking another young guy, then give them every chance.  I'm really not down with the Duvall's and Dickerson's (admittedly, Dickerson is having a nice season) coming into the organization to give us a marginal boost only to block a young player with much more upside.

I watch and enjoy the games win or lose.  Every AB or every pitch of one our prospects is much more important than winning a few more games this season.  That is unless they can actually make a run, but we'll see. 

As for the catching position, if Alfaro can be the Alfaro of 2019, we're in good shape.   Outside of a handful of teams, most of the catchers in the league can't hit.  I think Alfaro has more in the tank but I can live with his 2019 numbers.

Our starting pitching has been great.   I've said it before, its hard for the deepest of teams to overcome losing 2 out of 5 starters and a top "ready" prospect in the first week.  2 of them should hopefully be back by months end.  I don't blame the organization for not signing a veteran arm.  I didnt want one blocking the youngsters path either.

Just my 2 cents!

1 hour ago, Rydawg said:

I see this so different.  I was totally against the rebuild because I knew the first 3 to 4 years would be very lean even with modest growth.  I didn't want to go through that yet again.  

However, since I obviously had no choice in the matter, I knew I had to buy into the rebuild and I have.  Last years playoff run was exciting and a treat, but I knew it was more about the circumstances than the amount of progress we had made.  

We need to stay the course.  Let's let the young guys develop.  That's why I have all of the patience in the world with the Brinson's and Diaz's in our system. As long as they aren't blocking another young guy, then give them every chance.  I'm really not down with the Duvall's and Dickerson's (admittedly, Dickerson is having a nice season) coming into the organization to give us a marginal boost only to block a young player with much more upside.

I watch and enjoy the games win or lose.  Every AB or every pitch of one our prospects is much more important than winning a few more games this season.  That is unless they can actually make a run, but we'll see. 

As for the catching position, if Alfaro can be the Alfaro of 2019, we're in good shape.   Outside of a handful of teams, most of the catchers in the league can't hit.  I think Alfaro has more in the tank but I can live with his 2019 numbers.

Our starting pitching has been great.   I've said it before, its hard for the deepest of teams to overcome losing 2 out of 5 starters and a top "ready" prospect in the first week.  2 of them should hopefully be back by months end.  I don't blame the organization for not signing a veteran arm.  I didnt want one blocking the youngsters path either.

Just my 2 cents!

I get where you're coming from too but I still take a more pragmatic approach with the business side of it and take into account what really, truly keeps teams afloat - which is fans in the stands.  And in each case when they've had opportunities to capitalize upon some good press, they've blown it.  I would have loved to have seen them spent a little bit more money this past offseason on a catcher for instance.  With things getting started on the path back to normal, people are going to be insane with wanting to get out and socialize and what better thing to do than build upon the success of last season instead of just hoping some of our 25yr+old "prospects" will finally learn how to hit a baseball?

That said, I too, want mostly the kids to be playing  but they still need to have vets sprinkled in and I firmly believe in signing at least one vet innings eater guy to fill that backend rotation spot.  If there is a kid who can come up and outperform him? GREAT! that vet can be moved to long relief. But you NEED that insurance so as you don't end up going down the road the Fish are in now and leaning hard on their bp so hard to get them through the first few months.  At worst, the vet ends up getting released - at best, he outperforms his contract and maybe even becomes a useful trade piece to acquire another kid at the deadline if the Fish are out of it.  

In regard to our catching situation.  I thought Alfaro showed promise in 2019 as well but then something happened to him last season to the point nearly all of us wanted Wallach starting full time (and that's what happened too).  Ok, so it was a weird year, yadda yadda yadda.  This season? Still awful and his defense regressed too.  I understand catchers typically aren't offensive juggernauts but when you're not good at either aspect of your game?  With the strength of this team being its young starters, I'd have liked to have seen some freaking $$$ spent at that position during an offseason where some decent options were available but instead they spent money on Duvall who blocks that glut of "prospects" in the OF that they seem insistent on hanging onto but not actually using.

I also disagree that you can continue to have all the patience in the world with the "prospects".  Guys like Brinson have had MORE than enough opportunity to prove themselves for instance.  you need to realize when it's time to cut bait and stop wasting at bats with some of these guys which they seem loathe to do,  Prospects can block prospects too. 

Not angry with your opinion. I'd just like to see a little more acknowledgment from the FO that they need to take advantage of any positivity surrounding this team because it doesn't happen often. 

20 hours ago, CyggyMarlin said:

The FO should be blamed for some of the lack of depth, especially at catcher and with the starting rotation.  Gio should not have been the only solution as a starter and they should have tried to do more than try to trade for that guy from the White Sox at catcher (he wasn't a sure thing as a hitter before the season started).

I would have liked to have seen the team bulk up with a few hitters after making playoffs, but the team is in a bit of a bind because of Covid.  We have a farm system full of players that need extra time because of the cancelled season last year.  So do you get big names for a shorter run and block all the "kids"?  Hard to fault them for that.

Cant go get a veteran arm when the higher ups wont allow you to spend that money...