6/14 Postgame

Erick

It's inexplicable them being shorthanded almost every single game.

I get there have been injuries.

I get you may not want to put a guy on the IL if you don't have to.

I get the service time implications for bringing guys up..

I get it a short bench could happen maybe a handful of games throughout the entire 162-game season.

You cannot continually game after game be shorthanded, and have to pinch hit a RELIEF PITCHER to BUNT in late innings.....it's absolutely absurd, and I don't understand why they do nothing about it?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

You cannot continually game after game be shorthanded, and have to pinch hit a RELIEF PITCHER to BUNT in late innings.....it's absolutely absurd, and I don't understand why they do nothing about it?

To be fair, he absolutely did not have to have a relief pitcher in for that at bat. He chose to manage for later instead of manage for now, as he so so so so often does, and as it so so so so often does, it didn't work out because later never came. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

To be fair, he absolutely did not have to have a relief pitcher in for that at bat. He chose to manage for later instead of manage for now, as he so so so so often does, and as it so so so so often does, it didn't work out because later never came. 

Yeah, that's fair too, and I agree with that.

Who was on the bench?

Lewin

Dickerson (who's basically out)

??

7 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Sure it’s Dons fault. But maybe management also reminded him to not use up his shhort resources because it could make them look even worse.  Either way it’s all bull crap.  I’ve never seen anything like it. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SongInTheAir said:

Lol, Mattingly saved Lewin for extra innings because he had too much confidence in the pen, lol.

Edited by taiwanmarlin

34 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

I was watching the game on and off today, and I missed the Curtiss at bat...did he have to run in from the bullpen to pinch hit, or was he already in the dugout? I guess it might have been a day he was "unavailable" but relievers still usually hang out in the bullpen anyway, right? 

So if in emergency and needs his arm, should he runs into the pen from the dugout first and then runs to the mound from the pen ?

Wait, it was a 2 man bench again??? We knew yesterday that Devers was hurt and they didn't bother adding Marrero for today's game? And they have Dickerson active when he's not able to play?

This is absolute bullshit. I can see this happening once or twice a season in a rare emergency situation but this is absolute horseshit roster management. I feel like the Marlins have played more games with a short bench than with a full bench. Obviously that's an exaggeration but the point is that it's not the rarity that it should be. They're allowing this team to go to battle with less weapons than the opposition countless times already and it's unacceptable. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ZfromCIS said:

This hire smelled of a publicity stunt from the moment they announced it.

I couldn't disagree more and I'm saying that even knowing how bad it's been so far.

The hire was applauded throughout baseball not just because she was a woman but because she was a woman who worked her ass off to deserve this opportunity and because she had shown that she was ready for this chance.

And I say this now because that's what makes this all so frustrating. She was NOT hired as a publicity stunt and that's why she SHOULD be doing better than she is. Kim Ng absolutely has to realize the shit she's put out there. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Mattingly is safe, he has his back on Ng badly …so you just planning on having Dick available but was not !?

Because Mattingly knows he’ll land another job. He’s not a horrible manager but he ain’t Alex Cora and Dave Roberts. He’s a notch above average and somebody like the twins would trade managers in a heartbeat thus he’s using leverage. A top tier HC candidate isn’t going to take this job and he knows it.

Edited by ZfromCIS

17 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Wait, it was a 2 man bench again??? We knew yesterday that Devers was hurt and they didn't bother adding Marrero for today's game? And they have Dickerson active when he's not able to play?

This is absolute bullshit. I can see this happening once or twice a season in a rare emergency situation but this is absolute horseshit roster management. I feel like the Marlins have played more games with a short bench than with a full bench. Obviously that's an exaggeration but the point is that it's not the rarity that it should be. They're allowing this team to go to battle with less weapons than the opposition countless times already and it's unacceptable. 

I still remember once I blame this team for not filling up their 26th roster spot for one game and some people here think I'm just overreaction. 

Have too many calculations in the professional sports, to we fans the winning is the most important thing but to the team, winning would never be the most important thing to them. 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I couldn't disagree more and I'm saying that even knowing how bad it's been so far.

The hire was applauded throughout baseball not just because she was a woman but because she was a woman who worked her ass off to deserve this opportunity and because she had shown that she was ready for this chance.

And I say this now because that's what makes this all so frustrating. She was NOT hired as a publicity stunt and that's why she SHOULD be doing better than she is. Kim Ng absolutely has to realize the shit she's put out there. 

ESPN isn’t baseball. We hired a woman that wasn’t even in a front office and hasn’t been in one for years! YEARS! And the last time she was back 2011 was with a failed regime. What she’s riding on is that Cashman was a big fan of her and this very front office is filled with her underlings that didn’t like Hill’s voice because Hill actually knew what he was doing, was a really ygood evaluator, and didn’t need these downtown Manhattan dweebs to tell him what a good Baseball player looked like.

The same things just keep happening. No matter who is at fault, it’s the same dumb thing over and over.  Though I do put a lot of the blame on Ng for the roster construction. If she isn’t in charge of even that, what exactly is she in charge of? She came with a wealth of experience so I don’t believe she should be considered infallible. For the record, I was a huge fan of her being hired (check my old posts) and I think it is ignorant to call it a publicity stunt.

The worst part is you can even see it coming each time. 

Prior to them leaving on the road trip, Mish mentioned they need to make sure they make necessary roster moves and of course that once again didn’t happen. A 2 man bench for the billionth time this season. Only team in MLB that can’t figure out roster construction. 

Don is a bad manager so if you tie his hands behind his back, he’ll become even worse. Give him a 2 man bench and he’ll save it for extra innings. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

The same things just keep happening. No matter who is at fault, it’s the same dumb thing over and over.  Though I do put a lot of the blame on Ng for the roster construction. If she isn’t in charge of even that, what exactly is she in charge of? She came with a wealth of experience so I don’t believe she should be considered infallible. For the record, I was a huge fan of her being hired (check my old posts) and I think it is ignorant to call it a publicity stunt.

The worst part is you can even see it coming each time. 

Prior to them leaving on the road trip, Mish mentioned they need to make sure they make necessary roster moves and of course that once again didn’t happen. A 2 man bench for the billionth time this season. Only team in MLB that can’t figure out roster construction. 

Don is a bad manager so if you tie his hands behind his back, he’ll become even worse. Give him a 2 man bench and he’ll save it for extra innings. 

The worst part is Mattingly even had his back on the front office badly for this fault.

Didn't it's the most basic requirements for the FO to fill up the active roster daily !? if a FO can't even do that then how could you hope them to put the best roster to compete everyday !? I believe even the best teams like the Rays and the White Sox are not bold enough to play games with a short handed roster, why Marlins always be so special !?