6/14 Postgame

Erick

12 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

The worst part is Mattingly even had his back on the front office badly for this fault.

They are the ones in charge of his employment so he isn’t going to throw them under the bus regardless of how he really feels. 

5 hours ago, ZfromCIS said:

ESPN isn’t baseball. We hired a woman that wasn’t even in a front office and hasn’t been in one for years! YEARS! And the last time she was back 2011 was with a failed regime.

This makes it sound like she was mowing lawns for the last decade. She was the Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations for Major League Baseball! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, taiwanmarlin said:

The worst part is Mattingly even had his back on the front office badly for this fault.

That is bullshit from Don to cover Ng's ass. I've been following the team closely, dare I say religiously, since late 2003, and I can never remember so many games when the team has played with a 2 man bench. 

It may not be a stretch to say the team has played more short bench games in the first 2 and a half months of this season than they ever did between 2003 and 2020.

If you know what you're doing this isn't as "complicated" as he's saying.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZfromCIS said:

ESPN isn’t baseball. We hired a woman that wasn’t even in a front office and hasn’t been in one for years! YEARS! And the last time she was back 2011 was with a failed regime. What she’s riding on is that Cashman was a big fan of her and this very front office is filled with her underlings that didn’t like Hill’s voice because Hill actually knew what he was doing, was a really ygood evaluator, and didn’t need these downtown Manhattan dweebs to tell him what a good Baseball player looked like.

This is such a stretch. Ng has more front office experience than many other GMs who were hired with little to none.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

The worst part is you can even see it coming each time. 

Prior to them leaving on the road trip, Mish mentioned they need to make sure they make necessary roster moves and of course that once again didn’t happen. A 2 man bench for the billionth time this season. Only team in MLB that can’t figure out roster construction. 

Drives me nuts that Mish seems to have better foresight than Ng. 

And I wanna go back to the recent discussion about the Marlins having a collaborative front office because this is where it frustrates me the most. 

If you told me this was a one person job then we could throw the blame on one person and just take it as one fool who is in over their heads.

But a collaborative front office is crushing me even more because this tells me there's not one but like 6 or 7 adults with multiple levels of baseball experience who are ok with this bullshit. 

I'm dumbfounded that Kim Ng, Derek Jeter, Gary Denbo, Dan Greenlee, Adrian Lorenzo, and Bruce Sherman are all accepting of multiple games with a short bench. And I'll throw in Mattingly too because he has to have enough say that if he wanted to make a big stink about this I'm sure he can.

If it was just Ng or Jeter we could point to their inexperience but the other people are there to say "hey, we can't continue to give Donnie a short bench" yet it keeps happening.

Unacceptable. That's the bottom line until they prove otherwise, unacceptable. 

• Like 1

The *only* thing I can think of that might be in play here is the new covid-related protocols for calling players up. I know it's a lot more of a hassle this year than before 2020. We all joked about the Marlins being cheap and making Lewin take a car from Jax to Miami, but I am sure it had something to do with the protocols. We aren't even allowed to call players up from Double-A anymore if I read the rules correctly. Also, the MLB squad has reached the vaccination protocol so that masks do not need to be worn in the dugout. Maybe shuffling players up and down a certain number of times (exposing them to air travel and so on) can mess with that protocol? This is all conjecture, but I just honestly do not believe that this front office is incompetent to the point that they cannot field a full team on what seems like three days of every week.

7 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

The *only* thing I can think of that might be in play here is the new covid-related protocols for calling players up. I know it's a lot more of a hassle this year than before 2020. We all joked about the Marlins being cheap and making Lewin take a car from Jax to Miami, but I am sure it had something to do with the protocols. We aren't even allowed to call players up from Double-A anymore if I read the rules correctly. Also, the MLB squad has reached the vaccination protocol so that masks do not need to be worn in the dugout. Maybe shuffling players up and down a certain number of times (exposing them to air travel and so on) can mess with that protocol? This is all conjecture, but I just honestly do not believe that this front office is incompetent to the point that they cannot field a full team on what seems like three days of every week.

Why aren't other teams struggling with it though? Injuries are happening all over MLB but only the fish consistently choose to play shorthanded.

As for the relaxed protocol, they were doing this same shit before reaching the 75% threshold so it isn't that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mystikol87 said:

This makes it sound like she was mowing lawns for the last decade. She was the Senior Vice President of Baseball Operations for Major League Baseball! 

What does being Manfred’s minion have to do with running a baseball organization? Was she scouting? Was she helping out putting together a 40 man? Was she getting a draft board prepared? Was she preparing arbitration arguments? No, she was thinking of new ways to fuck over players.

Edited by ZfromCIS
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

This is such a stretch. Ng has more front office experience than many other GMs who were hired with little to none.

It’s absolutely washed from her 10 year absence from being in front office. Charlie Manuel is one of the best managers ever but no one is going to hire him after his decade of absence.

6 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

What does being Manfred’s minion have to do with running a baseball organization? Was she scouting? Was she helping out putting together a 40 man? Was she getting a draft board prepared? Was she preparing arbitration arguments?

Still in baseball, in fairness, but you're right, she was most likely not doing these things.

That said, we do need to go back to the collaborative effort mentioned previously. It is truly baffling that multiple people in power are thinking that this is fine to constantly play short-handed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Michael said:

Counterpoint - La Russa.

Not really. He was in a front office as of 2019 in LA and a VP along side Dave Dombrowski in 2018 when they won the World Series in Boston. Can you say his best managerial years are behind him? Yea, of course but he’s been involved in baseball in some high end capacity since 2014 when he came out of retirement.

Edited by ZfromCIS

5 hours ago, pollythewog said:

Nice to see the casual  sexism on full display in thread. 

Nice to see who’s stupid enough to think a sports opinion is the same as a political opinion or gender role opinion. Your college professor would be proud. Do you want me to leave you an application link you can apply for my company? I know times are very hard for the college “educated” right now.

Edited by ZfromCIS
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

Nice to see who’s stupid enough to think a sports opinion is the same as a political opinion or gender role opinion. Your college professor would be proud. Do you want me to leave you an application link you can apply for my company? I know times are very hard for the college “educated” right now.

A little less personal, please. You can disagree with someone all you want, but keep it civil. Thank you.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

U mad snowflake?

Edited by pollythewog

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

That is bullshit from Don to cover Ng's ass. I've been following the team closely, dare I say religiously, since late 2003, and I can never remember so many games when the team has played with a 2 man bench. 

It may not be a stretch to say the team has played more short bench games in the first 2 and a half months of this season than they ever did between 2003 and 2020.

If you know what you're doing this isn't as "complicated" as he's saying.

Yeah I don’t get the complicate thing about it. I didn’t remember this crap ever happening before let alone to this level