7/5 Postgame

TaiwanAstros

6 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Where's those Dodgers fans coming from ? Florida or California ? our ballpark would be noisy only when the big market teams coming …

Miami is loaded with people whose families originated in other states so many people, if not "most" people here come from a family that rooted for another team before the Marlins. It's probably pretty tricky to find someone here whose family has only ever been Marlins fans.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Miami is loaded with people whose families originated in other states so many people, if not "most" people here come from a family that rooted for another team before the Marlins. It's probably pretty tricky to find someone here whose family has only ever been Marlins fans.

Yeah, I’m only a Marlins fan because I’m a contrarian. I’m the only Marlins fan in my family lol.

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

My dad never grew up a big sports fan and my mom grew up a Pirates fan (she lived in Pittsburgh in the 70s). The only other people who followed baseball in my family were Indians fans. By the time I was old enough to really care, Cleveland was past their 90s dominance and the Pirates were pretty awful. So there has never really been a big pull for any team besides the Marlins for me.

Just now, FishFan95 said:

My dad never grew up a big sports fan and my mom grew up a Pirates fan (she lived in Pittsburgh in the 70s). The only other people who followed baseball in my family were Indians fans. By the time I was old enough to really care, Cleveland was past their 90s dominance and the Pirates were pretty awful. So there has never really been a big pull for any team besides the Marlins for me.

I should also note, that my mom is a full Marlins fan now and only roots for the Pirates out of nostalgia at this point.

3 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

People who think Bender is the closer now haven't watched any Marlins games since Don Mattingly got hired, right? 

Well, Don did put him in to close. That in itself was a miracle.  I’m sure everyone had Bender penciled in at closer before yesterday’s game though. 

I grew up in NJ during the 70's and all you got was the Yankees on PIX Channel 11 but I never became a fan.  Moved to PA in '80 and became a Phillies fan by default.  Even though I grew up 5 minutes from Reading Phillies AA stadium and went there often, the Phillies never really caught on with me.  When baseball expanded in '92,  I looked forward to a "new" team.   

9 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Not to mention as a holiday weekend, more people were probably in from out of town.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.