2021 Trade Deadline Thread

10 hours ago, ZfromCIS said:

Bryan Reynolds isn’t good enough to demand a prospect like Sixto. They probably wanted McCambley and Fitterrer

And if it’s one or both of those I’d do it. rather trade from the lower pool of pitching prospects then guys like Meyer,Cabrera,Eder and to an extent Sanchez(injuries are concerning)

I’m ok moving any of these guys 

mcambly,Nicolas,neidert,Fulton,Garrett,fitterer,Guzman and hell I’m even ok with moving Pablo and Hernandez. 

Edited by mk613
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Valid said:

I mean it's been one season. It's not like he has been on and off the IL for three years straight. The kid is 23 and entered 2021 ranked as the No. 6 prospect in all of baseball. He also showed significant promise last year. Way, wayyyy too soon to throw in the towel on him.

You seem to be overvaluing the Marlins guys while undervaluing the other teams stars. Sixto had injuries and generally shitty conditioning issues before coming to Miami - then had poor conditioning again before being able to make a handful of starts last season (latter half of which he got hit pretty well) and then once again has been injured all season and had shitty conditioning after the offseason). He may very well turn into an elite starter at some point but we already have very good starters and need MLB ready bats. Reynolds is certainly one of those and would fill a key position and has had sustained success at the big league level. He is easily worth trading Sixto. He's also only 26 I believe so it's not like hes on the wrong side of 30. He's entering his peak years. He's proven, young, and plays a position of need, and hits better than ANYONE on the entire  team. Sixto does not currently fit any of those categories. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, hovertical said:

You seem to be overvaluing the Marlins guys while undervaluing the other teams stars. Sixto had injuries and generally shitty conditioning issues before coming to Miami - then had poor conditioning again before being able to make a handful of starts last season (latter half of which he got hit pretty well) and then once again has been injured all season and had shitty conditioning after the offseason). He may very well turn into an elite starter at some point but we already have very good starters and need MLB ready bats. Reynolds is certainly one of those and would fill a key position and has had sustained success at the big league level. He is easily worth trading Sixto. He's also only 26 I believe so it's not like hes on the wrong side of 30. He's entering his peak years. He's proven, young, and plays a position of need, and hits better than ANYONE on the entire  team. Sixto does not currently fit any of those categories. 

When there’s smoke there’s fire.  

Sixto has major conditioning issues that people just want to ignore because it’s a judgmental thing to say.  I warned about it last year and was confirmed when he arrived in spring training the way he did. 

If he can work hard (not on his craft) there’s a good chance that he can be the ace of the franchise although I’m doubtful. 

31 minutes ago, FishFry said:

When there’s smoke there’s fire.  

Sixto has major conditioning issues that people just want to ignore because it’s a judgmental thing to say.  I warned about it last year and was confirmed when he arrived in spring training the way he did. 

If he can work hard (not on his craft) there’s a good chance that he can be the ace of the franchise although I’m doubtful. 

And we have plenty of guys that can take hid place, Meyer,Eder,Cabrera.. I’m honestly ok in trading sixto for the right price..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mk613 said:

And we have plenty of guys that can take hid place, Meyer,Eder,Cabrera.. I’m honestly ok in trading sixto for the right price..

I personally would seek out a trade for Sixto in a heartbeat before Meyer or Cabrera.   They won’t though, he’s to intriguing and fits the culture of what kind of players they want to wear the uniform. 

1 minute ago, FishFry said:

I personally would seek out a trade for Sixto in a heartbeat before Meyer or Cabrera.   They won’t though, he’s to intriguing and fits the culture of what kind of players they want to wear the uniform. 

Which is unfortunate cause I get the feeling Meyer and Cabrera will both be better.. so hoping the FO isn’t stupid enough to let either of them go..

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Nope, not when the contract was THAT bad. Like I said, the Yankees would reverse that trade if they could.

See but here's the thing: the contract didn't look THAT bad at that time. He was coming off of one of the best seasons in recent history, if not ever. He was a dominant hitter and a Gold Glove-caliber outfielder. It only looks bad now because of the injuries. Hindsight is 20/20. I could be wrong, but I don't seem to remember anyone complaining about Stanton's contract in 2017. It's only been the last couple of years with him missing extensive time that it has become such an issue. Do you think the Yanks would want to reverse the trade if Stanton were healthy and smashing 40-50 homers a year?

The fact of the matter is that we literally got nothing of consequence in terms of players in return for a guy who was, at the time, the best player in baseball. That trade was a bad one no matter how you spin it.

Edited by Valid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

Where did I say anything about other teams' stars? All I said is that Sixto has ace potential. I never said I wouldn't be open to moving him for the right return. I have seen several posts saying things like he has been a non-factor and hasn't been on the field, and all I was saying was that those claims were exaggerated and that it's too early to essentially write him off.

Edited by Valid

1 hour ago, Valid said:

See but here's the thing: the contract didn't look THAT bad at that time. He was coming off of one of the best seasons in recent history, if not ever. He was a dominant hitter and a Gold Glove-caliber outfielder. It only looks bad now because of the injuries. Hindsight is 20/20. I could be wrong, but I don't seem to remember anyone complaining about Stanton's contract in 2017. It's only been the last couple of years with him missing extensive time that it has become such an issue. Do you think the Yanks would want to reverse the trade if Stanton were healthy and smashing 40-50 homers a year?

The fact of the matter is that we literally got nothing of consequence in terms of players in return for a guy who was, at the time, the best player in baseball. That trade was a bad one no matter how you spin it.

That contract looked BAD the moment it was announced. 

3 hours ago, Valid said:

Stanton never hit over 40 HRs but once (59).  Struck out a bunch and kinda had the injury bug as a Marlin.  

The contract had other factors attached as Loria was on his way out and didn’t want a mob scene by not signing Stanton. 

Edited by FishFry

15 minutes ago, mk613 said:

Might be small sample size but damn I’m glad that trade for him didn’t go down and I really really hope they don’t look to him in the future.. 

E5AEA7A5-39E3-413D-926F-8ED22EB1B7FA.png

Ng was drooling over him being another LH/B  Can’t have enough of those. 

Edited by FishFry

3 hours ago, mk613 said:

Which is unfortunate cause I get the feeling Meyer and Cabrera will both be better.. so hoping the FO isn’t stupid enough to let either of them go..

I have Sixto behind those two as well.  Cabrera is the best of the three IMO. 

8 minutes ago, FishFry said:

I have Sixto behind those two as well.  Cabrera is the best of the three IMO. 

I actually think Meyer will be the best of them and Eder is gonna surprise..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FishFry said:

Ng was drooling over him being another LH/B  Can’t have enough of those. 

Which I don’t get we got plenty these kind of guys just like him. Has all the talent in the world puts up numbers in the minors but once in the majors shows absolutely nothing..

Edited by mk613

On 7/29/2021 at 11:33 AM, FishFan95 said:

Mish says that the thing he is most certain about is that the starting catcher for the Marlins next year will be someone who is not in the organization right now. Whether that is a deadline acquisition, or FA, whatever, they are moving on from Alfaro.

Fantastic. 

16 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Marsh ?

Which would be idiot. From what I’ve seen he’s nothing more then what we essentially have, got the tools but it’s not clicking in the mlbs and with these teams lack of being able to teach hitters it would be a mistake to trade and if the high ranked pitching prospects for him.

straight one for one deal with someone like McCambley or Nicolas maybe but anyone outbid Meyer,Eder,Cabrera,Sanchez.. it’s a hell no in my book

Edited by mk613
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 5:23 AM, FishFan95 said:

This is my one issue with the approach. We already have the post hype CF prospects who's value is down. Unlike Luzardo, I have no confidence in this organization fixing a broken position player.

I'm not sure they fixed Jazz, Jesus and Lewin or not, I think they all the post hype prospects when we acquire them. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 4:12 AM, marlinsmaniac said:

What really hurt the team is that all their top pieces are hurt or working back from it. You have Pablo, Elieser, Sixto, and Cabrera all hurt to some degree or at the tail end of rehabbing. Cooper would have been moved too had he not had that issue. I’m sure a pre-trade physical is probably what found the torn UCL given the timing of it.

Cabrera healthy now but I don't think he would be traded because he's major league ready, the minors pitching prospects would be the trade assets. 

15 hours ago, Valid said:

The problem is that we got absolutely nothing of consequence for a guy who was probably the best player on the planet at the time (or at the very least top 3-5). I understand Jeter wanted to get out from under the contract, but for a guy who just hit 59 home runs and won an MVP, you need to get something other than financial relief. His contract also did not look bad at the time given the monster season he had just had.

Keep in mind that I'm one of the more positive posters here when it comes to the FO, but the Stanton trade was bad.

His contract was heavily backloaded, and that was far and above his best and most healthy season to that point or since.

It's really water under the bridge at this point anyway.

15 hours ago, hovertical said:

This right here echoes my thoughts.

“High asking price” would never be the excuses for not making the good deals, a GM would be fired if he/she not asking high for his/her players. GM is hired to make the good signings and trades, we will know her abilities in the upcoming off-season, just wait and see. 

10 hours ago, mk613 said:

Might be small sample size but damn I’m glad that trade for him didn’t go down and I really really hope they don’t look to him in the future.. 

E5AEA7A5-39E3-413D-926F-8ED22EB1B7FA.png

Watched him a bit yesterday because I put the Angels game on (Rich Waltz!) and man he would swing at some truly awful pitches. So I'm 💯 confident this is exactly who Ng will target. It's like they just look at prospect rankings and pay attention to nothing else. He has a cool beard but that's about it.

• Like 1
  • Banana 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.