2021 Trade Deadline Thread

50 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Well...

Dbacks supposedly werent looking to move Marte.  The get would have been pretty fucking massive as well.  More then one pitching prospect for him.

It takes two to tango.

And who the fuck actually cares about bench depth in a lost season.

Address that in the winter, you dont address that when you are a losing team in July.  Thats dumb.  

I’m talking about back in the offseason when I’m referring to bench depth but for the most part you’re right.

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

Yea the Duvall to the Braves thing doesn't bother me. Maybe Mish could have worded it differently but all these things are fluid, things change frequently. The initial preference was to not trade with the Braves but if they really think Duvall needs to be traded and the Braves are giving a return you like then it'd be stupid to stubbornly say you still aren't trading trading them. Especially considering that the Braves in 2021 aren't stopping us from anything. It's not like these two teams are competing for the division right now.

Marlins have nothing for Duvall in 2 months.

They at least have a catcher that cant really catch nor hit consistently, but its still better than having nothing.

45 minutes ago, marlins_09 said:

They’re on the right thought process, now need to make something happen

Yea my big takeaway from the last few weeks is that it looks like they do know they have holes and they do want to compete in 2022.

It does remain to be seen how hard they try to improve or if they just shrug their shoulders and say "well we tried" again so I have no problem with being skeptical of them.

Like Stanton said "watch from afar."

Just now, Das Texan said:

Marlins have nothing for Duvall in 2 months.

They at least have a catcher that cant really catch nor hit consistently, but its still better than having nothing.

Right. Add this to Luzardo for several years while removing Marte and this is why Jeter, in a casual setting to the media, is able to say we got better for 2022. 

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Right. Add this to Luzardo for several years while removing Marte and this is why Jeter, in a casual setting to the media, is able to say we got better for 2022. 

The Luzardo trade was a real nice get.  one of the top 5 gets in the entire trade deadline.

Thats the kind of player you take a risk with, if he pans out  you are a genius.  If he isnt more than a back end starter or worse, then so be it.  No big deal.

The other trades were generally meh, but the guys they moved were also pretty meh.

The Payton Henry get I thought was the second best of their entire trade season.  I hope he gets a little time in the bigs in September. 

29 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

The Luzardo trade was a real nice get.  one of the top 5 gets in the entire trade deadline.

Thats the kind of player you take a risk with, if he pans out  you are a genius.  If he isnt more than a back end starter or worse, then so be it.  No big deal.

The other trades were generally meh, but the guys they moved were also pretty meh.

The Payton Henry get I thought was the second best of their entire trade season.  I hope he gets a little time in the bigs in September. 

Keeping Marte via an extension versus getting Luzardo?  Which is the better option? (now knowing they weren't able to trade for their future CF)

1 minute ago, hovertical said:

Keeping Marte via an extension versus getting Luzardo?  Which is the better option? (now knowing they weren't able to trade for their future CF)

I think extending Marte, especially for four years, would have been a mistake given his age. I'm glad they didn't go that route

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hovertical said:

We were already at the point where the Marte extension wasn't happening. They can't consider a Marte extension as a possibility anymore so the options were let Marte walk or get Luzardo. 

10 minutes ago, Entendu said:

I think extending Marte, especially for four years, would have been a mistake given his age. I'm glad they didn't go that route

Yeah 4 guaranteed years would probably have been a bad idea. I would have liked 3 plus a 4th year option that either vests or was team oriented. According to rumors, he wasn't on board with that idea though. Likely could've gotten him to take 3 years at a higher AAV though.

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

as they should have.

I agree - he's a prime piece.

I think the team revisits that option in the offseason, however. And maybe package Reynolds and Stallings together over here.

4 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

As a starting point, they'd want more than that

I would imagine someone like Misner and probably Eury Perez. You’re gonna start hearing that name a lot.

who knows though. Look at what Baez AND Trevor Williams went for.

Edited by ZfromCIS

1 minute ago, SonOfJack said:

Baez is a rental and Williams is nothing of real value. Reynolds has 4 years of team control left.

Everyone is just assuming that. The Mets can def keep him to partner with Lindor. They were even talking about on the MLB network. They might’ve used his contract as leverage but best believe that NY is going to try and keep him.

• Like 1

Just now, ZfromCIS said:

Everyone is just assuming that. The Mets can def keep him to partner with Lindor. They were even talking about on the MLB network. They might’ve used his contract as leverage but best believe that NY is going to try and keep him.

But he was traded as a rental because there's no extension at the time of the trade.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

Doesn't matter if he signs a new deal. His value isn't based on potential future contracts, it is based on the current contract which has 2 months on it.

9 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

So who's the CF for the rest of the season? Why wouldn't they just give it to Monte for the rest of this year? He's never gotten the extended look like Brinson has, might as well give it to him now.

They called up Miller over Monte.  Looks like Monte is still in the dog house because of the Marte confrontation. I do agree with you though.  We might as well let Monte finish the season in CF.  However, it looks like that honor is going to Sierra.

Edited by Rydawg

Just now, Rydawg said:

They called up Miller over Monte.  Looks like Monte is still in the dog house because of the Marte confrontation. I do agree with you though.  We might as well let Monte finish the season in CF.  However, it Looks like that honor is going to Sierra.

Miller probably deserves a crack but Monte is overdue for a shot and Sierra has already proven what his limit is. Throw Miller in the pool for next year.

44 minutes ago, hovertical said:

They can always sign marte in the off-season 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.