2021 Trade Deadline Thread

On 7/16/2021 at 6:26 PM, FishFry said:

• Package deals only, quality over quantity.  That means some of our prospects as well  

• Top ready to play prospects/players only.

• Three way trade partners if you don’t like the main suitors.  Better chance to get a player who is major league ready.

• No more fringy batting prospects.  They need to be consistent all around the board.  The farm is already heaped with average and busters. 

• Don’t trade just to trade.  Teams will catch on and we will lose strength in negotiations. 

I’m 100% sure Ng is going to mess this up.  I’ll admit it if I’m wrong.

They did none of this but the last part.  

12 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I found it odd that Mish was speculating so much and I partly blame him for a lot of this disappointment. Why was he so vocal and excited like he knew something was going down? In the past you would read “marlins open to making trades that would help team win now and in the future” or some generic shit. Yet here we was almost telling us he knew something we don’t know. Super annoying and embarrassing on his part honestly. 

At the twitter spaces a couple of nights ago, he tried to lower expectations and made it seem like the big moves could come in the offseason. But he said we would be wowed if his calculations were correct yesterday. Either something fell through, or he was looking at the smoke and not the fire. Either way, pretty disappointing deadline.

I've been super critical of Mish in the past but kind of warmed up to him over the past year, but this was a BAD week for him and his credibility as a journalist. Not saying he made anything up, but he certainly got some things wrong or misinterpreted a bunch of the info he was being fed by his source. Just not a good look with the Duvall thing and with the "wow" thing. 

• Like 4

Just now, SongInTheAir said:

I've been super critical of Mish in the past but kind of warmed up to him over the past year, but this was a BAD week for him and his credibility as a journalist. Not saying he made anything up, but he certainly got some things wrong or misinterpreted a bunch of the info he was being fed by his source. Just not a good look with the Duvall thing and with the "wow" thing. 

we needed "Scoop"

7 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Exactly. It’s not that he was wrong, it’s the way he went about it. Like a fan got hold of his twitter and started throwing a bunch of “inside” info around that was at best a possibility but framing it as a certainty. Very upsetting as a fan!

• Like 2

Looking at Alex Jackson's numbers. The guy is similar to Alfaro. He walks a bit more, but gets fewer hits. Hits more homers, but strikes out more. He is slow unlike Alfaro. Considering most of the scouting reports prior to 2021 had him pinned as a DH, my guess is that he is a bad defender. I suppose he is having a breakout year at AAA Gwinnett this year, but I don't really like this pickup.

Just now, FishFan95 said:

Looking at Alex Jackson's numbers. The guy is similar to Alfaro. He walks a bit more, but gets fewer hits. Hits more homers, but strikes out more. He is slow unlike Alfaro. Considering most of the scouting reports prior to 2021 had him pinned as a DH, my guess is that he is a bad defender. I suppose he is having a breakout year at AAA Gwinnett this year, but I don't really like this pickup.

The bad part is we now have to endure a year plus of these catchers like we had with Alfaro.   There is no forward momentum at all because of it and it will be their excuse for 2 years (we addressed that position with two catchers). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FishFry said:

The bad part is we now have to endure a year plus of these catchers like we had with Alfaro.   There is no forward momentum at all because of it and it will be their excuse for 2 years (we addressed that position with two catchers). 

The catcher situation genuinely makes zero sense to me and, for their sake, I want to hear in a couple of years that they were about to trade Alfaro as part of a package for a stud that fell through last minute. Otherwise, I’m just at a loss honestly.

I know it is possible something was in the works and that was what Mish was reporting, but he way oversold it. He acted like it was pretty much a sure thing to happen at one point. Unless it fell apart at the end, that was a total oversell.

And yeah he got the no trades with ATL thing way wrong and he was real cocky about it too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CyggyMarlin said:

Makes me wonder if the Marlins even tried to overask in deals or just took what was offered

They never had intentions of going all in or having a new look.  It was a corporate  stonewalling from what Marlin fans are asking.  

6 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Too bad the Marlins had to finalize the 2022 roster by today. 

Nobody said they did but it doesn't change the fact it was a lackluster deadline and Mish oversold it which increased the disappointment.

Also, we can't constantly move the goalposts. First it was last offseason, now it is next offseason. What happens if they don't do much this offseason? Do we move them again?

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

The catcher situation genuinely makes zero sense to me and, for their sake, I want to hear in a couple of years that they were about to trade Alfaro as part of a package for a stud that fell through last minute. Otherwise, I’m just at a loss honestly.

Having a trade fall through because of Alfaro would prove more incompetence then anything.   I want to hear that teams like the Giants declined offers in the likes of Max, Cabrera, Eder and top tier prospects.  That would be more accepted.