A's Working on Purchasing Property in Vegas for Potential Stadium

rmc523

Getting another step closer to the A's moving to Vegas.....

The Athletics have made a move to purchase land in Las Vegas that could be home to a future stadium, per Matt Kawahara of the San Francisco Chronicle. The exact location hasn’t been revealed as the A’s continue on the “parallel paths” track for future planning, exploring their options in both Vegas and Oakland. As of now, this constitutes little more than another step in the A’s flirtation with Vegas. That said, it’s an important step. The A’s current stadium lease runs through 2024.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/quick-hits-mets-as-cubs.html

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/athletics/article/A-s-make-offer-on-potential-ballpark-site-in-16636618.php

I know we've talked about it before, but I think it's likely they stay the A's/Athletics even with a Vegas move given the history of keeping the name with moves, but.....

They could easily use the "A's" logo with Vegas-themed branding/advertising (like on playing cards, instead of "A" for ace cards, they'd put "A's", etc.).

• Like 1

As a Marlins fan I've normally been so against relocation because I think of the diehard fans who would be losing out but after so many years of this Oakland debacle its clear to me that the city doesn't really care about keeping them so screw them. I still feel bad for real A's fans but enough is enough.

Same feelings about Tampa Bay at this point too. 

15 hours ago, QbanCastillo said:

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Come to papa, A's!

Just waiting for the Marlins to give me a reason to jump to the Las Vegas A's......

and then I'd be stuck with another miserly ownership lol.

I bet the A's start spending regularly as a mid to high market team upon a move to Las Vegas.  

At least for a good 5 years and then it will depend largely on how the fan base in Vegas is. 

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

As a Marlins fan I've normally been so against relocation because I think of the diehard fans who would be losing out but after so many years of this Oakland debacle its clear to me that the city doesn't really care about keeping them so screw them. I still feel bad for real A's fans but enough is enough.

Same feelings about Tampa Bay at this point too. 

Agreed, and I feel bad for Oakland fans, but they've clearly not tried to keep any of their teams they have/had.  It may have been a bad deal for the city, but at least Miami did it and kept the team local.

2 hours ago, Das Texan said:

MLB solves Tampa

MLB solves Oakland

MLB then is free to expand.

Plan coming together fully. 

Lol, you mean the "plan" that's been around for a decade now?

Move the A's to Vegas, move the Rays to Montreal ONLY (none of this split city BS).

Add a team in....Nashville.  Portland?  San Antonio?

They're going to have to expand it at least pairs to keep the leagues even.

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Agreed, and I feel bad for Oakland fans, but they've clearly not tried to keep any of their teams they have/had.  It may have been a bad deal for the city, but at least Miami did it and kept the team local.

Lol, you mean the "plan" that's been around for a decade now?

Move the A's to Vegas, move the Rays to Montreal ONLY (none of this split city BS).

Add a team in....Nashville.  Portland?  San Antonio?

They're going to have to expand it at least pairs to keep the leagues even.

Been in the works for a decade, only in the last year has it actually started to come to frutition.

I'm not sure that Nashville getting a team is a given, but they should be one of the top areas to consider. 

San Antonio wont get a team nor should we.  

4 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Been in the works for a decade, only in the last year has it actually started to come to frutition.

I'm not sure that Nashville getting a team is a given, but they should be one of the top areas to consider. 

San Antonio wont get a team nor should we.  

Beyond Nashville, I was just thinking of cities that had been rumored in the past.  Nashville may not be a given, but they seem serious about trying to get a team, and the only market I know of right now (aside from that Portland group a while back) that seems to be gunning for a team.

Any other city suggestions?

8 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Beyond Nashville, I was just thinking of cities that had been rumored in the past.  Nashville may not be a given, but they seem serious about trying to get a team, and the only market I know of right now (aside from that Portland group a while back) that seems to be gunning for a team.

Any other city suggestions?

Charlotte will also probably be seriously considered.

Raleigh- Durham?

Indy?

But Nashville seems to be the 'hot' place, so we will see. 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Why not?

Genuinely curious.

we would never support the team, nor would they ever get the stadium they are seeking.

they couldnt even get a AAA stadium passed around here.

a MLB stadium in San Antonio or Bexar County wont happen.

MAYBE if you go a bit further up north, but they are all way too focused on figuring out how to get an NFL team.

That and San Antonio isnt that big of a baseball town IN GENERAL as it is.

3 hours ago, QbanCastillo said:

If they don't make the stadium indoors, or retractable roof, the team will definitely struggle getting fans to come.

any stadium will have a roof of some sort.

Looking at market size of Vegas you just have to wonder if Vegas itself can handle sports teams in all the major sports.

I guess we will know in a few years whether we want to or not!

On 11/21/2021 at 10:15 PM, Das Texan said:

Charlotte will also probably be seriously considered.

Raleigh- Durham?

Indy?

But Nashville seems to be the 'hot' place, so we will see. 

Man what I would give to have a baseball team in the Raleigh-Durham area. 

Reduce my travel time to the nearest baseball stadium from 7 hours to 1 hour