Three Front Office Additions

Michael

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

Can't believe they didn't hire any women. Bigot organization.

You say this now jokingly but imagine the PR crapstorm that's going to hit when Kim's deal isn't renewed after the season, because media will frame it as "Kim Ng Fired".

This is under the assumption that the team does poorly in 2023, of course. Still time left in the offseason. Just low hope.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Michael said:

You say this now jokingly but imagine the PR crapstorm that's going to hit when Kim's deal isn't renewed after the season, because media will frame it as "Kim Ng Fired".

This is under the assumption that the team does poorly in 2023, of course. Still time left in the offseason. Just low hope.

Bad optics

10 minutes ago, Michael said:

She's a great soldier for Sherman. I bet she'll be renewed, and will be praised for doing a wonderful job

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Entendu said:

She's a great soldier for Sherman. I bet she'll be renewed, and will be praised for doing a wonderful job

At which point, unless they make a significant leap forward [I'm talking 15+ more wins], I believe even the most die-hard fans will truly turn on the team.

2 minutes ago, Michael said:

At which point, unless they make a significant leap forward [I'm talking 15+ more wins], I believe even the most die-hard fans will truly turn on the team.

Save for the few that continue to believe the "just wait in 2-3 more years when these kids get promoted!"

I literally dgaf about the minors anymore because it hasn't translated to sustained success either as promotions or for use as trade pieces. I need to see the big club winning some goddamn games THIS COMING SEASON. Naive to think otherwise.

8 minutes ago, Michael said:

I don't think them having a 15 game swing matters if they don't make some moves.

Like, I can see pitching and health getting this team to .500 (+12 wins). They should be better, but while that may validate some "luck/health" arguments, the "getting over the top" problem will never go away unless they spend. They are never getting much higher than that absent they draft Stanton and Realmuto and Fernandez and Yelich again back to back.

Until they devote some real assets (money or prospects) to radically getting some big name improvements, and then keep it going for 3 years as this franchise has never had a consistent contending run beyond "2004 and part of 2005," nothing will change.

It's culture, winning cures all, but they also need consistency and to be able to convince the casual sports talk radio fans they mean business. 

6 minutes ago, MarlinsLou said:

They are never getting much higher than that absent they draft Stanton and Realmuto and Fernandez and Yelich again back to back.

Isn't it hilarious how the Marlins somehow blew this? Not to mention the other talent (like Ozuna) they had on the roster at the time. I mean I know Fernandez passed away, but even before then, they clearly weren't taking any major steps forward and he probably would have ended up getting traded like Stanton anyway.

16 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I literally dgaf about the minors anymore because it hasn't translated to sustained success either as promotions or for use as trade pieces.

Either that or the prospects will pan out and will just end up being traded at some point because the team couldn't put the necessary pieces around them to actually compete.

9 minutes ago, Valid said:

Isn't it hilarious how the Marlins somehow blew this? Not to mention the other talent (like Ozuna) they had on the roster at the time. I mean I know Fernandez passed away, but even before then, they clearly weren't taking any major steps forward and he probably would have ended up getting traded like Stanton anyway.

They didn't know how to add the right pieces around those stars while now it's the opposite where it seems like we have plenty of potentially good supporting pieces but haven't been able to add any stars to get over the hump.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

They didn't know how to add the right pieces around those stars while now it's the opposite where it seems like we have plenty of potentially good supporting pieces but haven't been able to add any stars to get over the hump.

Going a step further, remember when the Marlins could have had Cabrera, Hanley and Stanton all in the same lineup (like, this literally could have happened) but instead opted not to buy out Cabrera's arbitration years and traded him? Lol good times.

So much elite talent has come and gone through this franchise and yet the Marlins haven't managed to make anything out of it in two decades. Unreal stuff.

3 minutes ago, Valid said:

Going a step further, remember when the Marlins could have had Cabrera, Hanley and Stanton all in the same lineup (like, this literally could have happened) but instead opted not to buy out Cabrera's arbitration years and traded him? Lol good times.

So much elite talent has come and gone through this franchise and yet the Marlins haven't managed to make anything out of it in two decades. Unreal stuff.

Cabrera could have been an incredible hitting coach for Stanton, too, perhaps got him to cut down on some strikeouts early on.

Hanley, Uggla, Cabrera, Stanton as a top four would have been silly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarlinsLou said:

I don't think them having a 15 game swing matters if they don't make some moves.

Like, I can see pitching and health getting this team to .500 (+12 wins). They should be better, but while that may validate some "luck/health" arguments, the "getting over the top" problem will never go away unless they spend. They are never getting much higher than that absent they draft Stanton and Realmuto and Fernandez and Yelich again back to back.

Until they devote some real assets (money or prospects) to radically getting some big name improvements, and then keep it going for 3 years as this franchise has never had a consistent contending run beyond "2004 and part of 2005," nothing will change.

It's culture, winning cures all, but they also need consistency and to be able to convince the casual sports talk radio fans they mean business. 

Yeah, they need to plant the flag and show everyone they're going for it.  And not a Loria half-season "going for it" where he dumps the contracts immediately.

Sign the names, keep them a few years and let if gel and then if it's still not working, do something else.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

It really does feel like if Loria hadn't interfered, we could've been there.  If he hadn't pushed for Mat Latos and Rodney, we'd have had the "2 pitchers away" filled with Castillo and Paddack.

Just such pendulum swings it's crazy.

It also seems like it's been a long time now since our top draft picks - regular or international signings - have panned out..  Guess we got spoiled by the run of guys mentioned above.

Edited by rmc523

1 hour ago, Valid said:

If Fernandez didn't die, I think Jeff would have gone all-in and done something on top of Chen with that core. Eventually maybe they all get traded, but some more back-loaded deals and tell the FO - you got this year and until trade deadline next year but here's the juice to win the whole damn thing. But we'll never know.

Bruce has this exact same game board in front of him. Blow it out for 2023-2025 and firesale it July 30, 2025 if it isn't working out. Take a page out of the Jeff playbook I say.

Let's make Nimmo our Bobby Bonilla. Do it.

19 minutes ago, MarlinsLou said:

If Fernandez didn't die, I think Jeff would have gone all-in and done something on top of Chen with that core. Eventually maybe they all get traded, but some more back-loaded deals and tell the FO - you got this year and until trade deadline next year but here's the juice to win the whole damn thing. But we'll never know.

Bruce has this exact same game board in front of him. Blow it out for 2023-2025 and firesale it July 30, 2025 if it isn't working out. Take a page out of the Jeff playbook I say.

Why would you do that for Nimmo?  And not Correa?

50 minutes ago, MarlinsLou said:

My issue with Nimmo is that his career has been defined by injuries (he has only played 100 games twice). Isn't he looking for over $100 million? That's a whole lot for a guy who can't stay on the field and doesn't have great power.

I do like him as a player, but he's more of a complementary piece than he is a big fish.