Yuli Gurriel SIGNS with Marlins

Yuli's agent : Mr. Gurriel, just don't pick up the 2 million contract offered by Marlins, give me some time and I guarantee would have some over 3 million contract offers for you. 

Yuli : Ok, I'm looking forward to it. 

Two months later …

Yuli's agent : Mr. Gurriel, sorry, the best option now is a minor league contract offered ALSO by the Marlins …

Yuli : YOU ARE FIRED !!!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TaiwanMarlins said:

Yuli's agent : Mr. Gurriel, just don't pick up the 2 million contract offered by Marlins, give me some time and I guarantee would have some over 3 million contract offers for you. 

Yuli : Ok, I'm looking forward to it. 

Two months later …

Yuli's agent : Mr. Gurriel, sorry, the best option now is a minor league contract offered ALSO by the Marlins …

Yuli : YOU ARE FIRED !!!

That may have happened!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A little surprise he's so popular in the team (maybe his unique hairstyle make me think he's a guy difficult to get along with ), he's a great addition to the team on and off the field, I believe many teams regret not to sign him due to his bad 2022 season now and many people here underestimated this signing when it happened too.

as good as he's been lately i still don't like the idea of signing him more than year-to-year at his age.  if he does well by season's end then sure give him another one year deal and throw in some additional incentive bonuses even - if he wants to play.  if someone else offers him more then oh well. 

5 minutes ago, Michael said:

How would anyone know this? Negotiations are private.

Good point.

Just figured if say the Marlins had offered him one early in the off-season and he turned it down, we may have heard some rumblings about that. 

From what I found, it seems like just the Marlins, Twins and Astros were interested in him in the offseason. But no info if they offered him any MLB contract. The Astros loved him as a clubhouse guy but after a not good season in 2022 plus the signing of Jose Abreu, the Astros big concern was that they wouldn’t have any significant playing time for him. The Twins signed Donovan Solano to fill that role they wanted for Yuli, so that just left the Marlins. I think that even if he ends up with a decent season this year, he’s probably not going to get a ton of attention being 39 going on 40 in 2024. I say the Marlins should consider signing him again for minimum. I mean if they’re paying Avi Garcia $12 Million a year to be useless. They can pay Yuli like $1.2 Million to be a pinch hitter spot starter even at age 40. Of course Yuli is no Pujols, but he still seems in pretty good shape and I could see him playing another year or 2, probably he could do more than that but I doubt any team would let him play on MLB team past like age 41/42.

• Like 1