Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Spring Training 2025 Game Thread

Featured Replies

This post was recognized by Admin!

FishFan95 was awarded the badge 'Great Content'

Marlins are 2nd in walks per game in the Majors this Spring (only behind the Phillies). In the regular season, the Marlins have struggled to draw walks almost every year since 2013. An added emphasis on drawing walks might be coming down from the Front Office as a part of the "Rays Way" approach to winning ballgames.

I will still stress that Spring Training stats can be deceptive, but the Marlins have typically been near the bottom of the league in walks in the Spring as well. Maybe this is a trend to keep an eye on.

This post was recognized by Admin!

SirFishFan was awarded the badge 'Asshole of the Day'

There’s a “Great Content” badge?

Dang I should have earned that badge like 18x by now with all the quality content and jokes I write on this blog.

15 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

Marlins are 2nd in walks per game in the Majors this Spring (only behind the Phillies). In the regular season, the Marlins have struggled to draw walks almost every year since 2013. An added emphasis on drawing walks might be coming down from the Front Office as a part of the "Rays Way" approach to winning ballgames.

I will still stress that Spring Training stats can be deceptive, but the Marlins have typically been near the bottom of the league in walks in the Spring as well. Maybe this is a trend to keep an eye on.

That's great.....except wasn't there a graphic that they're basically last in everything else? lol

14 hours ago, SirFishFan said:

There’s a “Great Content” badge?

Dang I should have earned that badge like 18x by now with all the quality content and jokes I write on this blog.

Im Not Maya Rudolph GIF by Saturday Night Live

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

That's great.....except wasn't there a graphic that they're basically last in everything else? lol

A graphic on one of the telecasts or on social media? I think I might know what you are talking about, but that was a few days ago and they have actually played really well on offense the past few games.

At the moment, they are tied for 5th in the NL in homers and 6th in stolen bases. They are 10th in average, slugging, and OPS. 8th in OBP. This overall puts them more or less tied for 10th in runs per game with the Rockies. Though I will note that 6 of the 9 teams above us are Cactus League NL teams, so that League is probably better for offense. Also worth noting that they are closer to 2nd than 14th.

This should of course be taken as a grain of salt since if is just Spring Training, but I would take 10th in the NL in runs per game this year in a heartbeat. It would be the first full season where we would rank above 14th in 8 years.

1 hour ago, FishFan95 said:

A graphic on one of the telecasts or on social media? I think I might know what you are talking about, but that was a few days ago and they have actually played really well on offense the past few games.

At the moment, they are tied for 5th in the NL in homers and 6th in stolen bases. They are 10th in average, slugging, and OPS. 8th in OBP. This overall puts them more or less tied for 10th in runs per game with the Rockies. Though I will note that 6 of the 9 teams above us are Cactus League NL teams, so that League is probably better for offense. Also worth noting that they are closer to 2nd than 14th.

This should of course be taken as a grain of salt since if is just Spring Training, but I would take 10th in the NL in runs per game this year in a heartbeat. It would be the first full season where we would rank above 14th in 8 years.

138 losses

1 hour ago, FishFan95 said:

A graphic on one of the telecasts or on social media? I think I might know what you are talking about, but that was a few days ago and they have actually played really well on offense the past few games.

At the moment, they are tied for 5th in the NL in homers and 6th in stolen bases. They are 10th in average, slugging, and OPS. 8th in OBP. This overall puts them more or less tied for 10th in runs per game with the Rockies. Though I will note that 6 of the 9 teams above us are Cactus League NL teams, so that League is probably better for offense. Also worth noting that they are closer to 2nd than 14th.

This should of course be taken as a grain of salt since if is just Spring Training, but I would take 10th in the NL in runs per game this year in a heartbeat. It would be the first full season where we would rank above 14th in 8 years.

We've been the top team in ST before and been one of the worst in the regular season.

Sure it's nice on paper, but until that translates to regular season over the full season, meh.

24 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

We've been the top team in ST before and been one of the worst in the regular season.

Sure it's nice on paper, but until that translates to regular season over the full season, meh.

Like I said take everything with a grain of salt because it's ST. I just noticed that unlike previous years, walks are decent in ST and I would suspect that with a more analytics guided approach, that walks would be of added emphasis.

27 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

We've been the top team in ST before and been one of the worst in the regular season.

Sure it's nice on paper, but until that translates to regular season over the full season, meh.

But yeah, in 2023 we had the worst record in the Majors in ST and made the playoffs. 100% agree that Regular Season is what matters. But until we get there, there's not a lot to talk about except ST.

Edited by FishFan95

As I’ve wrote in the past, spring training means very little to nothing to me as far as how I would predict the season to go. Mainly because half the time in spring training you have players playing everyday that will not spend even 1 game on the MLB roster in the regular season. So any results good or bad in spring training can’t really be used to measure how the regular season will go imo.

I usually view the first month of the regular season as more of a measuring stick of how I think the rest of the regular season will go in general. Case in point the 2024 Marlins were 7-24 after one month and of course lost over 100 games that year and the 2023 Marlins were 16-13 after one month and ended up with a good year.

Of course that is not a hard and fast rule I have just based on W/L record after just one month as sometimes teams can get off to a hot start and fizzle out halfway through the year. The 2022 Marlins were 12-8 after the first month and ended up 69-93 for example. And also there are many other variables that can affect things such as key players and pitchers getting hurt and missing a few weeks/months and good players getting traded which can definitely affect results by itself.

But definitely in a more general sense I like to look at the results from the first month of the regular starting lineup and rotation/bullpen playing everyday and after 3-4 weeks then you can kind of get a better feel of how things might go for the entire year. For example in 2023 I think after like a month of seeing them play everyday a lot of us had a feeling that it was going to be a special year because of Arraez and also that Jean Segura was going to be a bust. At least I remember realizing that and being disappointed about Segura and of course he didn’t even end up staying the whole year.

Although to be fair.. in some cases you don’t even have to wait to have an idea of how the season will go.. just based on lineups and past results it’s almost a guarantee the Dodgers are making the postseason this year and almost a guarantee that the Marlins are going to have a losing record. That’s not even being negative it’s just based on prior results with similar lineup(2024 season).

But I’m still always hoping for a surprise good season!

1 hour ago, MarlinsToSpend said:

Trade Cabrera to Yankees now.

Looks like it was his fingernail again, but the marlins don’t really have mlb sp depth so not sure who could even take his place. What’s the rotation now? Sandy, max, weathers, Quantrill, ?!!

23 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

Looks like it was his fingernail again, but the marlins don’t really have mlb sp depth so not sure who could even take his place. What’s the rotation now? Sandy, max, weathers, Quantrill, ?!!

Adam Mazur or Xzavion Curry.

53 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

Looks like it was his fingernail again, but the marlins don’t really have mlb sp depth so not sure who could even take his place. What’s the rotation now? Sandy, max, weathers, Quantrill, ?!!

The yearly if only someone, anyone, could've predicted they'd need pitching.... lol

oh wait, everyone says every year to sign vet innings, but noooooo, let's not do that lol.

4 minutes ago, Admin said:

Close to an Opening Day lineup there today

That's the most depressing thing I've ever read.

138 losses

56 minutes ago, mrchainsaw said:

That's the most depressing thing I've ever read.

138 losses

Lineup has potential to set both records for most strikeouts and least amount of HR hit in a single season somehow

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.