Everything posted by bobbob1313
-
FIU football coach Strock to resign
I predicted this about 10 minutes after the fight at the FIU-UM game. Not surprising in the least.
-
Happy 231st Birthday to the United States Marine Corps
This inter military squabbling is so cute.
-
The Official Alcohol Thread
Home: whatever vodka I can get my hands on Bar: Maker's mark and coke Party: Whatever is there
-
Tampa Bay wins bidding for Akinori Iwamura
There's an opening at Short.
-
Abortion leads to illegal immigration
http://www.salon.com/mwt/broadsheet/ Fetal labor Holy crazy Republican legislators from Missouri, Batman! Sit down, this one's going to blow your mind: According to the Associated Press, a sixteen-member Missouri legislative panel has submitted a report asserting that the U.S has created a market for illegal immigrants by aborting all the Americans who would otherwise have held their jobs. The report, from the state's House Special Committee on Immigration Reform, is so embarrassing that none of the six Democrats on the panel would sign their name to it, though all ten Republicans did. The report also includes the claim that "liberal social welfare policies" keep government aid recipients living so high on the hog that they are unmotivated to get jobs, again creating a vacuum that pulls illegal immigrants across the border to work in terrible conditions for pennies an hour in their place. The abortion-and-welfare stuff was written into the report by Rep. Ed Emery, the committee chairman. "The lack of traditional work ethic, combined with the effects of 30 years of abortion and expanding liberal social welfare policies have produced a shortage of workers and a lack of incentive for those who can work," is how the report reads. And Emery helpfully expanded on this for the AP, telling them, "We hear a lot of arguments today that the reason that we can't get serious about our borders is that we are desperate for all these workers...You don't have to think too long. If you kill 44 million of your potential workers [the National Right to Life statistic on how many abortions have been performed since the passage of Roe v. Wade in 1973], it's not too surprising we would be desperate for workers." But maybe Emery should try thinking a little longer. One problem we're not facing in the United States? A population decline. On October 17, the population hit 300,000,001. The fertility rate in the United States is 2.13 babies per mother, higher than the stable population replacement rate of 2.1 babies. Of course, many of those 2.13 babies are born to illegal immigrant mothers, but at least as of now, they still count as Americans -- and by Emery's calculations, potential future laborers. But here are some problems we do face: Energy and environmental crises brought on by the astronomically high use by Americans of fossil fuels, forests, water, fisheries, and other natural resources. Education and health-care systems that are not exactly well-equipped to care for the 300 million we've got right now, let alone the other "44 million" who -- had they not been terminated as fetuses -- would no doubt be chomping at the bit to do manual labor in crappy conditions for criminally low salaries. Broadsheet contributor Farhad Manjoo also points out that the U.S. infant mortality rate is around 6 deaths per thousand, while in Mexico it's about 20 per thousand, so that "by coming to America, immigrants vastly increase the likelihood that their future 'unborn' children will survive infancy. If [Emery] really cared about the unborn, he wouldn't doom them to getting born in Mexico or other foreign lands. They'd be much better off being born here in the U.S." As Missouri Democratic Rep. Trent Skaggs told the AP, "To be honest, I think [the report] is a little delusional." Yeah, maybe a little around the edges. These clowns should grab dinner with Stephen Dubner and Steven Levitt, authors of Freakonomics, who observed in their book that crime began to fall in the United States about eighteen years after the Supreme Court passed Roe v. Wade, and that furthermore, it fell three years earlier in the five states that legalized abortion three years before Roe. Basing their hypothesis on this pattern, Levitt and Dubner asserted that the legalization of abortion was behind the precipitous drop in crime in the early 1990's. So all those unintended, unwanted pregnancies might have produced underpaid laborers, sure. Or maybe a bunch of workforce-age adults sitting in the slammer. Or maybe it doesn't matter. Because we have puh-lenty of Americans as it is, women should be able to control what goes on in their own bodies, and if nothing else, reports like this offer an opportunity to remember that every child in this country should be a wanted one. -- Rebecca Traister
-
El Duque agrees to $12 million, 2-year deal with Mets
You smell that, boys? Thats the smell of desperation. And how sweet it is.
-
Bonds to Fish?
A few years back I'd agree that Bonds hits third but seeing him hobbling around the bases or in the outfield last season all those OBP stats become meaningless if he can't get home on anything not hit out of the park. Put him behind Cabrera and let the big dog eat. Dusty Baker, much?
-
Most Overrated Marlin
Armando Todd Jones Dontrelle Willis (GASP)
-
Brandon Webb wins NL Cy Young
While we all know Dontrelle would not have done that, it is unfair to hold other players up to that. He was probably asked how he felt about the award and he gave his honest opinion. I'm sure he didn't call a press conference to announce it.
-
Most Overrated Album
Horses by Patti Smith Nevermind the Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols by the Sex Pistols The Velvet Underground and Nico by the Velvet Underground
-
Brandon Webb wins NL Cy Young
He did arguably have a better year than Dontrelle in 03, and he's a great choice for this year. Congrats, Brandon!
-
With Gary Sheffield Now a Tiger...
He'll probably go in as a Yankee. That is what he is best known as. did you just start following this sport in the past 2 years? Yeah, thats it. The guy played for a small market team for 5 years and has seemingly no connection to them anymore. He was a large part of the biggest, most overhyped, most visible team in the majors for 3 years. He's very mindful of his image, and I think he realizes that going in as a Yankee would make him seem like more of a legend in the eys of the people. Do you think anyone thinks of him and sees him as a Marlin? If it was up to him, I think he'd want to be in as a Yankee.
-
With Gary Sheffield Now a Tiger...
He'll probably go in as a Yankee. That is what he is best known as.
-
Yanks deal Wright to the Orioles
This makes their rotation a little more solid in case Daniel Cabrera forgets that strikes are more important than balls again.
-
Worst Song of 2006?
Actually, on second thought "Love Me or Hate Me" by Lady Sovereign just barely tops "Lips of An Angel" as the worst song this year.
-
Your Top Albums Of 2006
After further thought, my update list looks like this: Top 10 of 2006: 1. The Crane Wife- The Decemberists Song to Hear: The Crane Wife 1 &2 2. Born Again In The USA- Loose Fur Song To Hear: The Ruling Class 3. Broken Boy Soldiers- The Raconteurs Song To Hear: Hands 4. At War With The Mystics- The Flaming Lips Song To Hear: Mr. Ambulance Driver 5. St. Elsewhere- Gnarls Barkley Song To Hear: Storm Coming 6. Kicking Television, Live In Chicago- Wilco Song To Hear: Airline To Heaven 7. Continuum- John Mayer Song To Hear: I'm Gonna Find Another You 8. I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass- Yo La Tengo Song To Hear: Black Flowers 9. Game Theory- The Roots 10. 21st Century Power Pop Riot- The Methadones Song To Hear: Walking Out On Love
-
I need suggestions....
Something by Motion City Soundtrack. Maybe "The Future Freaks Me Out"?
-
Plus 44
If you don't like Blink, you won't like this. It's like blink but more emo (and I don't say that in a negative way, regardless of the connotation of the word. It's really the best way to describe it, as it features numerous stereotypical "emo" cliches, i.e. references to suicide, death, etc.).
-
Most Overrated President
Reagan Eisenhower Kennedy I only picked Kennedy because he was only in office for two years and he didn't get to accomplish what he wanted, but is still regarded as one of the greatest.
-
Plus 44
The cd for the new outfit fronted by Travis Barker and Mark Hoppus of the late Blink 182 comes out on Tuesday, and I have to say it's pretty damn good. Of course, I'm a huge Blink fan and I always thought Mark was more talented than Tom anyways, but I still think this stuff is really good. Of course, it suffers from the same thing Angels And Airwaves did, and thats the lack of balance. A&A had way too much grandoise pop gestures, whereas +44 is a little more subdued. It's more like Blink 182 than A&A was, but it still lacks Tom's ear for pop choruses. It's a little too heavy on melancholy. The best song is probably the first single, "When Your Heart Stops Beating" which sounds like Blink 182 at their absolute peak (when I would argue nary a pop-punk band could touch them) although songs like "Lilliane" and "Baby, Come On" do not sound out of place at all. The best tracks here are obviously the most poppy, as Blink 182 was always a populist band, and Mark always seemed to be the one who did it for the fans, whereas Tom seemed more like the "artiste". This of course, does not mean Mark wrote pop gems with ease or that Tom was a slouch in that department, and in fact, I would argue the opposite is true, but on this collection, the best songs are the ones that wouldn't sound out of place on a Blink 182 album. Ironically enough, the Blink related album this one most resembles is the one that Mark had nothing to do with, Box Car Racer. This seems odd, for sure. Still, it's a very enjoyable cd for a Blink 182 fan such as myself, and I suspect it will not take long for this to hit my rotation really heavily.
-
The Official Alcohol Thread
Well I'm going to be much worse after the game, and that depends entirely on the outcome. I want to be able to 'watch' the game, because that's what I'm going for in the first place. :cool Witty Chuck: Brandy Ginger Ale Tastes great and it makes you start tossing out zingers at everyone around you, and they will have to begrudgingly accept that you are the wittiest person alive. They may buy you pancakes from Denny's.
-
The Official Alcohol Thread
Apparently just one jager bomb can kill you (imbalance bw depressant and stimulant i guess?), so I'm staying away from those. You'd have to have serious heart problems for this to be true. My friend swears on her life that she's read reports about that just happening after one...and everytime I even mention jager bombs she gets extremely pissed off. I am probably going to get the MOST sh*tfaced I've even been in my life before (and after hopefully) the UF/FSU game...if anyone has ANY pointers regarding hangover cures, what to drink and how to best keep my composure as I try to enter the stadium, please tell. Rapid fire vodka shots, followed by a couple of mixed drinks drank really fast about an hour before the game. You'll still be drunk when you get there, but not belligerent. Then you bring a flask and either mix, or drink from the flask. You'll be carried out of the game, but you never specified whether you need to keep your composure after wards.
-
The Official Alcohol Thread
Well, on Thursday night, it was beer (Miller Lite, and then by the end of the night I didn't care about taste and was downing Natty Lights). Friday Night: Vodka and lemonade Saturday Night: Jose Cuervo. And then some Vodka and lime juice. And then some vodka shots. I don't think I can outdrink Tucker Max, although I'd like to try. I always drink better when I've got competition.
-
Happy 231st Birthday to the United States Marine Corps
"Great, there's a great vibe in here now. It's like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we're all still trying to eat." -Dane Cook And you have a humongous Air Force sig, so you know, pot, kettle, black. Sort of.
-
Most Overrated Babe
Pamela Anderson Michelle Trachtenburg Sarah Michelle Gellar