Nunez unhappy

Flamarlins3

Rookie outfielder Abraham Nu?ez, who led the majors with 10 home runs and a 1.000 slugging percentage during spring training, told the Dominican newspaper Listin Diario he is ''uncomfortable'' sitting on the bench and accused the Marlins of ''taking advantage'' of him by not starting him.

''It's true I'm uncomfortable,'' he said. ``I don't know what I have to do to win a spot in the starting lineup.''

Nu?ez made his only start of the season Sunday and went hitless in four at-bats. He was back on the bench Tuesday behind Jeff Conine, Juan Pierre and Miguel Cabrera.

''I have to resign myself [to that]because I'm not the one who makes the lineup,'' Nu?ez said.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/8426497.htm

How are the marlins taking advantage of him? If he really wants playing time he can go back to AAA and play every day if he really wanted to. He has to realize Pierre or Cabrera will never be taken out of starting lineup except for a day of rest here and there. Conine is the only one he could replace and unless Conine is batting under the mendoza line for a month or two Nunez more than likely won't start over him. Hate when people complain about thigns like this.

Guest FishFanInPA

Yeah, I dont see where he has any ground to stand on with this argument. It's not like he's on the Brewers or some team that is stiffing him. Our OF has no room for him and also, when he did play his one game, he didnt impress me at all....I'd trade him now before he becomes a problem.

good work Nunez. With the team being 6-1 and all, it's a good time to complain. That'll definately get McKeon on your side. :lol

We've got 4 other established major league players sitting on the bench. 2 of whom are previous All-Stars. How about shutting up & putting your time in? Oh that's right I forgot, you don't have a lot of time, seeing as how you lied about your age....

Trade this malcontent already.

Yeah, if he went 4-for-4 in his start, then maybe he has some grounds to complain, but he can't expect to get a whole lot of PT unless someone gets hurt or if Conine's struggles continue for another week...and there isn't much (if any) public complaining on this team by anyone else, so he's probably not endearing himself to his teammates by coming out and saying stuff like this...

Nunez and Bump and a couple of bucks for a proven Reliever.

Nunez doesn't fit. IMO, based on things he's said (and I take "quotes" out-of-context with a grain of salt), he's not a team player. He's bitter, thinking he's been too long overlooked.

Bye-bye Bitter. Your "five tools" belong elsewhere.

Guest Juanky

Team's 6-1 and you have to complain about playing time? Yeah, you don't deserve to be on this team, you obviously can't stay on this team long because you don't have chemistry with the other players. You wouldn't come over to talk to Juanpy and Miguelito in timeouts on Sunday, you didn't do squat at the plate. WTF do you think of life?

Get him out of here.

Mike Lowell gets named to an All-Star team and hits 30 homers, yet doesn't complain when he's stuck on the bench in the playoffs.

Abe Nunez, a rookie on a team that just won the World Series, whines that he hasn't been handed a starting outfield spot.

Do you see a difference here?

Let's cut the guy some slack and not rush to judgement. Branding him a malcontent at this point is unfair. There is a high probability that his quotes were taken out of context - not to mention they were spoken in Spanish and then translated to English.

I am not so quick to think Nunez is as dumb as that quote would make him to be. If he said that and meant it - and not taken out of context - that would be unfortunate. It IS unfortunate also that he hit 10HRs in ST and cant get enough ABs though. Unfortunate for him. For us, it is good because it shows how deep our talent is on this team. He could get some PT if Conine struggles. Remember, Cordero is not all that great against right handed pitching.

That said, if you have any prospects of trading him for some relief pitching, why not?

well I did find something related to this story

My Webpage

A PALEAR.- Al igual que Abraham N??ez considero que en los primeros juegos debi? recibir algunas oportunidades con los Marlins, como premio a su actuaci?n espectacular en los campos de entrenamientos.

Pero tambi?n creo que no le conviene dar declaraciones tan fuertes en contra de un manager de prestigio como Jack McKeon, quien viene de ganar la Serie Mundial y ha tenido un buen arranque en la presente estaci?n, am?n de la gran indepedencia que ha mostrado.

N??ez debe concentrarse y aprovechar las oportunidades que le den, por pocas que sean. Justamente el d?a que habl?, jug? y fall?...

Translation:

This writer is stating that he believe that Nunez should be getting more at bats, but Nunez shouldn't be making negative comments and making the most out of the opportunities given by the team. Nunez made the comments on Sunday, he was given an opportunity that same day and failed. Such is life. . .

do you guys even know in the context it was said?

maybe they asked him, are you happy being in the bench? and he said no.

now if they had asked him, how do you like playing for the big club so far? and he had said, it sucks, this people don't want to play me. then i would have a problem with it. but i do journalism and i know how these things are done to stir up controversy.

Guest Juanky

Judging by the spanish version of this, it is a bunch of BS. The spanish one has no quote, and says basically the same thing. It is probably just the Herald trying to find something wrong with the best team in the business.

I still think we should deal him though.

bottom line.

spring stats are just that....spring stats.

Nunez's numbers earned him this : a roster spot.

You have to get your manager's trust and confidence in order to get in games.

You have to take advantage of your opportunities when the games count.

You cant expect a manager like Jack to simply say....oh boy this Nunez kid had a great spring..let me start him all the time in the big league level. No.

Nunez had an opportunity to impress Jack on Sunday. He didnt. If he kesps his mouth shut and works hard before games...he will get another one soon. He needs to show his skills during MLB games. Period.

I dont hear a guy like Justin Wayne crying about playing time...and he had just as good a spring (save for one game) and he hasnt even played yet.

He is sitting on the bench of the World Series Champions, of the team that actually gave him a chance and brought him into the club to start the season and he is complaining?!? :thumbdown

Hey Abe, you should be lucky to be sitting with these group of guys that just a few months ago were drinking champagne and celebrating only their second world championship! You're not even worthy to sniff the strap, my friend. :mad :

Cut the guy some slack. OK, i agree he shouldn't have said that, but when a person feels like he is being rejected it is very likely to say things like that. I don't think he's being taken advantage of, but he feels that way because he wants to play so badly. Hopefully, he'll realize what he said was wrong.