Official Carlos Delgado Thread

hardw0od

That still leaves us with a 4 million dollar bench player and I just can't see that happenning realistically...but if it means Delgado comes I will shutup

650028[/snapback]

I'd believe that in the event Delgado is signed to a deal (he wants at least 3 years), we'd package Encarnacion with Stokes and send him anywhere. The D'Backs want a RF and are high on Stokes...it could work out.

650031[/snapback]

Why can't we just release Encarnacion?

650040[/snapback]

$4.5 million guarenteed is why

That still leaves us with a 4 million dollar bench player and I just can't see that happenning realistically...but if it means Delgado comes I will shutup

650028[/snapback]

I'd believe that in the event Delgado is signed to a deal (he wants at least 3 years), we'd package Encarnacion with Stokes and send him anywhere. The D'Backs want a RF and are high on Stokes...it could work out.

650031[/snapback]

Why can't we just release Encarnacion?

650040[/snapback]

$4.5 million guarenteed is why

650041[/snapback]

Oh. :thumbdown

Do you guys think that if Delgado signs the possibility of locking up Burnett long term this year would no longer exist?

And if this is the case, is Delgado worth it?

I'm not sure where I would stand on this, though I am leaning towards the "Sign Delgado and worry about Burnett next offseason" side. But I'm really not sure.

What does everyone else think?

Do you guys think that if Delgado signs the possibility of locking up Burnett long term this year would no longer exist?

And if this is the case, is Delgado worth it?

I'm not sure where I would stand on this, though I am leaning towards the "Sign Delgado and worry about Burnett next offseason" side. But I'm really not sure.

What does everyone else think?

650071[/snapback]

A definite maybe.

Delgado's presence takes away money we could offer to Burnett, but his presence for the next three years ensures that we'd have a 3-4-5 of Cabrera, Delgado and Lowell, meaning we'd likely be competetive.

It may be easier to keep Burnett with Delgado than without.

Actually, it may be that if the Marlins can sign AJ to anything resembling a reasonable contract, fixing that cost may allow them to commit more funds to either a "special situation" (ala Pudge's one year deal) or to making a longterm investment in the right player.

650080[/snapback]

Two different lines of thought, but yes, you're right in saying that by turning AJ into a certainty, it makes it easier to know what money we have to play with.

You fools will never be able to offer me enough.

Oh no? I've just got done hearing that you have made about 80 million dollars throughout his career and that you have invested about 50 million. So you're not exactly a huge spender. Plus, you don't have to pay state taxes and your closer to home....

:mischief

The Marlins have offered free agent Carlos Delgado a multiyear deal.

The NL East would look pretty interesting if the Marlins signed Delgado and the Mets landed Carlos Beltran. Florida remains a longshot destination for Delgado, who is seeking in excess of $50 million over four years. If the Marlins get him, they'll let Jeff Conine and Juan Encarnacion battle for playing time in an outfield corne

Rotoworld

Marlins seeking power-hitting Carlos Delgado

BY CLARK SPENCER

Knight Ridder Newspapers

MIAMI - (KRT) - The last time the Marlins swooped out of nowhere in January to pluck a high-profile hitter off the free agent market, the quarry was Ivan Rodriguez and the result was a World Series title.

Now they're involved in another January courtship ritual, this time with slugger Carlos Delgado.

The Marlins have offered a multiyear contract to the power-hitting first baseman, according to a baseball source with knowledge of the talks. But closing the deal won't be easy, considering the bevy of teams with larger bankrolls also making pushes for him.

"I have spoken to Marlins general manager Admin Beinfest and we will probably be speaking again," Delgado's agent, David Sloane, said of his talks with the Marlins.

The Baltimore Orioles, Texas Rangers, New York Mets and Los Angeles Dodgers also are interested in acquiring Delgado, who averaged 38 home runs and 120 RBI during his seven seasons with the Toronto Blue Jays.

Details of the Marlins' offer are unknown.

Sloane told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that while Delgado isn't demanding Carlos Beltran money, Sloane expected him to receive a richer deal than Adrian Beltre, Richie Sexson or Troy Glaus - other members of this year's free agent class.

Beltre signed a five-year, $64 million deal (an average of $12.8 million per season) with the Seattle Mariners.

The Marlins have never paid any player that much, but they've proved to be creative with their payroll in the past.

If they fail to get Delgado to agree to a multiyear offer, it's possible that they could work out a one-year deal similar to the one they gave Rodriguez in 2003. That $10 million contract was deferred over several years. After one season with the Marlins, Rodriguez reentered the free agent market and signed with the Detroit Tigers.

"This is not an emotional decision for him, and it's not a thing where he's trying to make his first fortune," Sloane told the Baltimore Sun. "He's already made that."

The Orioles reportedly made Delgado a three-year, $30 million offer in December that was rejected, and have since increased their efforts to acquire him. The Mets likely would drop out of the Delgado derby if they sign Beltran.

The Marlins have made no secret of their desire to add a left-handed run-producer to their lineup after ranking 11th among National League teams last season in runs scored. Their top returning home run hitter among left-handers is Juan Pierre, who included an inside-the-park home run among the three he totaled last season.

There also are uncertainties involving the Marlins' current first baseman Jeff Conine. He underwent right shoulder surgery after the season before reinjuring the same shoulder in November while playing paddleball. Conine is expected to be ready for the start of the season, but Delgado would prove a significant upgrade. He hit 32 home runs to go with 99 RBI last season for Toronto.

If Delgado did wind up with the Marlins, Conine could move to the outfield, joining a group that includes Pierre, Miguel Cabrera and Juan Encarnacion. Encarnacion also brings question marks. He is coming off a subpar season in which he hit just .236 with 16 home runs and 62 RBI and underwent surgery after the season to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder.

Link

I hope this comes true.

The NL East would look pretty interesting if the Marlins signed Delgado and the Mets landed Carlos Beltran. Florida remains a longshot destination for Delgado, who is seeking in excess of $50 million over four years. If the Marlins get him, they'll let Jeff Conine and Juan Encarnacion battle for playing time in an outfield corne

Rotoworld

650146[/snapback]

:wow

I will not say a word.

Rotoworld

650146[/snapback]

That's great. If the Marlins have made an offer and his agent anticipates that they'll be talking some more soon, then it means they're in contention for his services.

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but imagine this lineup:

1. Juan Pierre

2. Luis Castillo

3. Mike Lowell

4. Miggy

5. Carlos Delgado

6. Paul Lo Duca

7. Niner

8. Gonzo

Along with our pitching, we would be an awesome team!!

650161[/snapback]

I would put Delgado cleanup, Lowell number 5, and Miggie number 3. Imagine the numbers Miggie would put up with Delgado protecting him?... He'd get a lot of pitches to hit.