Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Boog to become new Marlins' TV Announcer!!!

Featured Replies

from the Miami Herald: Sciambi likely headed to TV

 

Sciambi likely headed to TV

 

Marlins radio announcer Jon Sciambi likely will become the new TV play-by-play voice of the team, a baseball source said Tuesday. Sciambi and Marlins rights-holder FSNF still must come to terms on a contract.

 

 

The promotion would complete an impressive rise for the popular radio announcer, who began his South Florida career as a WQAM producer and sports update reporter in 1992. Sciambi, 34, has been a Marlins radio announcer since 1997 and done play-by-play the past four years, including three innings per game last year.

 

Although the decision on the announcers is made by FSNF, Marlins management, including owner Jeffrey Loria, advocated Sciambi's hiring for the TV job.

 

If a deal is struck, Sciambi would work as many as 150 games with Tommy Hutton, who supports Sciambi's hiring. Sciambi, who declined comment, would replace Len Kasper, who left to become the TV voice of the Chicago Cubs. A native of New York, Sciambi has a degree in speech communication from Boston College.

 

Dave Van Horne will return as the Marlins' lead radio announcer.

 

-- BARRY JACKSON

 

I'm so glad. I was afraid we'd lose him like we did Len this year. Being a #2 radio voice wouldn't have cut it for long. He would've left to get a better position somewhere else. I'm very happy with this.

This is great news! I hope they work out a contract soon. Boog and Tommy Hutton will be a really good team. There aren't two broadcasters that know more about the Marlins than these two. Boog also has a real good knowledge about the game in general and should make the Marlin broadcasts very interesting. I have thought for a long time that he should get his own radio show again, but I guess he's too baseball oriented for QAM. That's unfortunate because he's 100x better than Mandich or Howard David, both of whom are pretty much unlistenable in my opinion.

I hope Boog doesn't forget his play-by-play radio training. But, I think he will. TV personalities easily forget to report the game. And then there's Minirvini (sp?)interviewing "celebrities" while there's action on the field.

Anxious to see who will be DVH's partner, because I'll be listening to the radio with the TV muted.

I like this decision I enjoy listening to games on the radio with Boog, now we can get him on TV.

Kind of meh decision...Never really liked Boog on the radio but then again probably won't here him all that much...radio for me

Boog is great, and I am proud of the guy - he worked his way up from nowhere. I remember when he was just a producer for the First Team and Hank Goldberg on WQAM like 12 years ago... he was the guy who answered the phones and screened calls... then he was the update guy... then he was a fill in guy.... then he started to get his own show... then he got the Marlins gig in 97, doing pre and post game stuff, not even calling the games...

I'm sure management made the right choice, but personally, I'm not too crazy about pairing Boog with Tommy. Both do a good job and all, but their voices are too similar. I for one appreciated the nice balance between Kasper's baritone and the irritatingly nasal Hutton. But, oh well... I suppose I can live with this. :cool

This is fantastic news! I am looking forward to his call of the game on TV - I think he will do a great job. His radio replacement better know what he is doing because he is going to have to 'carry' DVH like Boog used to.

 

I can't tell you how many countless times I was driving in my car and I heard the ball hit the mitt and DVH did NOT report whether it was a ball or strike. How he is on the air, I will never know. I just hope his 'partner in crime' is good enough to cover those mistakes.

 

As far as TV - we are all set! Wonderful news. Looking forward to game one of 2005.

This is awesome. I think Boog is great... And I've always liked Tommy too. I think he's one of the best analysts in the game. These two will be great together.

Boog deserves it, plus he will still call the game like he did on the radio because that is the only way he knows how. He wasn't much of a radio guy because he analyzed more than narrated.

But his... face...it.......I DON'T WANT TO LOOK AT IT!

659826[/snapback]

 

Agreed.... MORE than agreed actually...

Awesome, i'm glad, I like Boog and he seems more fit for TV than the radio. Is DVH going to do entire game broadcasts by himself now or are they going to get him a partner to split the innings or how's that going to work?

Awesome, i'm glad, I like Boog and he seems more fit for TV than the radio. Is DVH going to do entire game broadcasts by himself now or are they going to get him a partner to split the innings or how's that going to work?

659996[/snapback]

They may just give him a color guy or let him do it all by himself.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.