Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should AGon be re-signed?

Featured Replies

If he's willing to sign a similar contract to Castillo, yes. If he wants a contract near the level Rollins signed, hell no.

I've been very pleased with Agon's performance this year. He is hitting for average and has come up big in a few key situations. He may be going through a bit of a funk right now, but hopefully that won't last as long as in years past.

Meh...4 year 20 mil is the only way I do it. Alex's defense is amazing, but is it worth it paying that much for him? I'm not a fan of Andino and well Josh Wilson won't get anyone excited, but I would rather give them a shot rather than pay Alex 8 mil a year

Ideally, I'd like to have Gonzo back; but I don't think we're going to try to outbid a bunch of teams for him.

Nice to have flashy corners but the middle MUST be solid.

There is no more solid middle than Gonzo and Luis.

They must be kept.

I am torn on the issue of resigning AG , I think i have to know what the rest of the team looks like before I would give a definitive answer. I think he is solid he is a good fielder somewhat overrated on this board imo in that regards ...good but not great....second his offense his not really reliable he strikes out alot and isnt a great situational hitter ....flaws aside if Lowell werent going in the tank i am not sure AG would be an issue.....I guess i stand with the general opinion sign him if the price is right 3-4 year 5 million a year no higher .....personally i would love it if ag was replaced with furcall or i would even take a chance on nomar .

Furcal.

 

If we can get him for the same price gonzo is asking Furcal is the best. But I doubt ATL will let him go. and i can't think of any other standout ss so resign him for cheap. if he wants to try to milk you for cash let him go.

one more thing I disagree that AG must be kept , honestly if you rank him compared to short stops in both leagues he is not in the top ten basically a middle of the road player. this year he has made a few errors that have costs us games vs the pirates , angels , brewers i am hard pressed to think where his glove has saved us games ......ag solid but replaceable imo

Alex Gonzalez has the best glove in the National League period. The only guy who may be on the same level defensively is andruw Jones. We have been spoiled with Renteria and Gonzalez at shortstop over the past 8 years. If we lost Alex this team drops by a significant amout defensively.

Alex Gonzalez has the best glove in the National League period. The only guy who may be on the same level defensively is andruw Jones. We have been spoiled with Renteria and Gonzalez at shortstop over the past 8 years. If we lost Alex this team drops by a significant amout defensively.

864802[/snapback]

 

If alex was the best glove in the national league at SS then the managers would have elected him to the all-star game. That simple. Alex is a GOOD glove in the NL but not the best (and no im not using All Star selection for my reasoning it was just an example). You can't forget about furcal and Iztures which are the only ones that come to my head right now. Furcal has EXCELLENT range and an arm that will blow alex's arm away.(as you can tell im a Furcal fan). Now before you are like "oh well furcal didn't make it to the all star game". I know this already. But Furcal has been regarded as one of the better defensive SS in the game for a couple of years now.

 

bottom line: Alex is good, but not the "best".

Alex Gonzalez has the best glove in the National League period.? The only guy who may be on the same level defensively is andruw Jones. We have been spoiled with Renteria and Gonzalez at shortstop over the past 8 years.? If we lost Alex this team drops by a significant amout defensively.

864802[/snapback]

 

If alex was the best glove in the national league at SS then the managers would have elected him to the all-star game. That simple. Alex is a GOOD glove in the NL but not the best (and no im not using All Star selection for my reasoning it was just an example). You can't forget about furcal and Iztures which are the only ones that come to my head right now. Furcal has EXCELLENT range and an arm that will blow alex's arm away.(as you can tell im a Furcal fan). Now before you are like "oh well furcal didn't make it to the all star game". I know this already. But Furcal has been regarded as one of the better defensive SS in the game for a couple of years now.

 

bottom line: Alex is good, but not the "best".

864826[/snapback]

 

 

I agree with you 100% take nothing away from AG he is solid/good but there are several short stops in the national league that are better

But Furcal has been regarded as one of the better defensive SS in the game for a couple of years now.

 

He does have good range and a good arm, and I know fielding% and errors are not the best way to determine a players defensive value, but COME ON the guy averages close to 30 errors a year and has never had a fielding % above the high .960's for a full year, Furcal is not close to being one of the best defensive ss in the NL, in fact I'd rate him 3rd in the NL East(behind Gonzo and Rollinsd). Now Gonzalez, according to alot of scouting reports, is one of the top defensive SS and should of won a GG already.

Alex Gonzalez has the best glove in the National League period. The only guy who may be on the same level defensively is andruw Jones. We have been spoiled with Renteria and Gonzalez at shortstop over the past 8 years. If we lost Alex this team drops by a significant amout defensively.

864802[/snapback]

Cesar Izturis?

Omar Vizquel?

The thread title and the poll ask two different questions.

 

Should Seabass be re-signed? It depends on how much money he wants.

Alex Gonzalez has the best glove in the National League period. The only guy who may be on the same level defensively is andruw Jones. We have been spoiled with Renteria and Gonzalez at shortstop over the past 8 years. If we lost Alex this team drops by a significant amout defensively.

864802[/snapback]

Cesar Izturis?

Omar Vizquel?

864969[/snapback]

 

Yes, call my biased because Izzy and Omar are top notch. But I see Alex everyday and saw a lot of Omar earlier in his career with the Indians (other team I follow) and Ive seen Izzy make some amazing plays. The fact is Alex makes the hard plays look easy and the easy ones look easier. He is one of the slickest fielders and is very creative out there with louie. I'm not saying Alex is the BEST SHORTSTOP b/c many things make up the best shortstop. IE...hitting for power, average, running the bases, fielding. All I'm saying is when it comes to the glove work Alex is second to no one in the NL. Call me biased if you want but that what I believe.

I'm hard pressed to see how someone could say you can't think of any games where his glove has saved the game. EVERY GAME. If you put an Andino or a Wilson out there, some of the plays that we've grown accustomed to don't get made and turn into a single, which could turn into a rally. He is clearly the best fielding SS in the NL and he has received attention for that from the press, but never recognized with a Gold Glove.

 

That said, I'd give him up to $6 mil a year but not more...

OF COURSE you resign A-Gon! This guy is GOLD, he will win the gold glove this year.. He's not to "high priced" and we have many more issues to be thinking about SS, I say sign him to a 2 year deal!

I didn't know about Furcal's amount of errors. 30 is a lot. But like i said, i love his range, his arm, and his ability to make contact w/ the ball and be a leadoff man (minus this year's low OBP).

 

Please don't mention Nomar in this thread. He's not worth the absurd amount of money he asks for. And after he burned the bridges in boston he left a sour taste in my mouth. There are better SS's out there than Nomar; Izturis, Gonzo, Furcal, Eckstien (which says a lot because eckstien is not considered a "great" ss but plays like one).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.