Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Alfonseca activated

Featured Replies

The Florida Marlins' pitching staff

received a boost with Antonio Alfonseca rejoining the bullpen

and Ismael Valdez returning to the rotation.

 

Both right-handers have been sidelined much of the season

with injuries.

 

??It's like making a trade,'' manager Jack McKeon said

Tuesday.

 

Alfonseca was activated after spending three months on the

disabled list with a stress fracture in his elbow. He's 0-1

with a 1.59 ERA in six games.

 

Valdez, who missed the first 3? months of the season with

a broken right fibula, will make his first start Wednesday

against Pittsburgh.

 

??I'm a little nervous,'' he said. ??I just want to face

some hitters and do the best I can.''

 

Valdez pitched two innings of relief Friday at San

Francisco in his first appearance of the year.

 

To make room on the roster for Alfonseca, the Marlins

optioned right-hander Randy Messenger to Triple-A

Albuquerque. Right-hander Nate Bump was transferred from the

15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.

 

Source: AP

I hope they hit the ground running.

 

That's too bad about Bump. I think he was making valuable contributions to the team in the swingman role.

 

Messenger down and Vargas still up? This must mean that if Valdez falters the Fish are willing to go with Vargas? I like having the option. We know he can pinch-hit at least. :mischief

Alfonseca was projected to be a big part of that bullpen.. This is big.. I'm excited to see Pulpo back.

Couldn't have come at a better time. (Well, I guess a month ago would have been better) This week is HUGE for us.

That's too bad about Bump. I think he was making valuable contributions to the team in the swingman role.

 

 

Man, I feel the same way about Bump...but damn that guy can piss me off in a hurry. I have never had emotional swings with any player like I do with Bump.

That's too bad about Bump. I think he was making valuable contributions to the team in the swingman role.

 

 

Man, I feel the same way about Bump...but damn that guy can piss me off in a hurry. I have never had emotional swings with any player like I do with Bump.

875339[/snapback]

 

I think we just found out who your favorite player is.............. :whistle

I agree there is something about bump that makes people just love/hate for him. I think he is a good kid and will become a good reliever someday.

I agree there is something about bump that makes people just love/hate for him. I think he is a good kid and will become a good reliever someday.

875344[/snapback]

 

On the whole he's been pretty decent even this season, it's great to see a guy who you can bring in with runners on and feel confident he can get a DP out of it. It's a shame but hopefully AA can give the bullpen a boost.

Why the hell is Vargas still here?

Odd that Messenger would be sent down instead of say Vargas (so he could continue starting games) or Reidling. I guess they're concerned about the starting rotation and are willing to give Reidling a long second chance.

 

Ramp/Mav, didn't you say that Bump had pitched a rehab outing?

Why the hell is Vargas still here?

875635[/snapback]

 

doesn't make much sense to me either, especially since I thought Messenger was improving.

 

Heard Jack on the radio & he mentioned he was sorry to have to send Mess down because he thought he'd pitched well, & said he'd feel comfortable calling him back up anytime he needed an arm.

 

I'm not sure why they wouldn't just send Vargas down & keep Mess up. If Bump ever gets healthy I'd much rather have him in there than Riedling too.

The only thing I can figure is that Vargas is left handed.

876017[/snapback]

 

Yes. Pirates have so many left handed players

  • Author

The only reason i can see that Jason is still here is A. he is left handed; B. They are not sure of the status of Ismael Valdes and his start on Wednesday; C. Maybe the AJ deal is closer that we think...could be any of those three options

 

 

anyhow.....AA looked completely incredible tonight working his way out of the bases loaded jam

Odd that Messenger would be sent down instead of say Vargas (so he could continue starting games) or Reidling. I guess they're concerned about the starting rotation and are willing to give Reidling a long second chance.

 

Ramp/Mav, didn't you say that Bump had pitched a rehab outing?

875670[/snapback]

 

Okay, I've seen Messenger pitch three or maybe four times now. Let me explain what his problems are.

 

1. His fastball has absolutely zero movement. Straight as a string.

 

2. See number 1.

 

3. See number 1.

 

Until he can get some movement on this fastball, he might as well be pitching batting practice. In the minors you can get away with throwing past people, in the bigs he's a pigeon.

 

The best thing for him is to go down, work on making his fastball dance a little and try again next spring.

 

Vargas is still with the team for one reason, he's lefty.

And may I say, you really had to be there when AA came out of the pen, and after he shut down the Pirates with the bases loaded and no one out.

 

The place was rockin', it was electric and for PPS, the noise almost deafening. It was a great moment and I look forward to more of them.

 

Did they show on tv the reception he got in the dugout? Everyone high-fiving him, hugging him, they all came out to meet him at the steps, it was just great!!!!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.