Jason "the Crow" Vargas

The "real" FAN

How about V-Unit...like a play on words of 50 Cent's G-Unit. And the defense behind him can be the V-Unit Soldiers. Of course, then he would have to make his plate appearence music "In Da Club"(which would actually be awesome). Yes, I am going with V-you-NIT

How about V-Unit...like a play on words of 50 Cent's G-Unit. And the defense behind him can be the V-Unit Soldiers. Of course, then he would have to make his plate appearence music "In Da Club"(which would actually be awesome). Yes, I am going with V-you-NIT

898627[/snapback]

no

I don't care..

as long as he pitches his Vargin behind off and does well, who cares about a nickname?

898633[/snapback]

Nicknames used to be a badge of honor in Major League Baseball. You could identify a legend by their nickname, Ted Williams was the Splendid Splinter, George Herman Ruth was The Babe or The Bambino or the Sultan of Swat(and Yankee Stadium was and still is The House that Ruth Built), The Yankee Clipper "Joltin" Joe DiMaggio, Ty Cobb was "The Georgia Peach", Walter "Big Train" Johnson, Stan "The Man" Musial, "The Iron Horse" Lou Gherig, "Hammerin" Hank Aaron, probably the best of all time was Honus Wagner: The Flying Dutchman, former single season hit king "Gorgeous" George Sisler, the most awe imspiring: Reggie Jackson-Mr. October, Nolan Ryan "Express", Jim "Catfish" Hunter....sorry for the history lesson there(my dad, avid baseball fan, would refer to them by these names and I'd have to know who he was talking about or I'd get a nice shot to the arm...kind of like playing "slug bug" when you see a Volkswagon while your driving down the road) and that put into me a certain awe of these greats. That a whole generation of people could identify someone almost more by their nicknames then by their actual name. This is one of the more colorful and intimant portions of baseball history, and it is going away, and I think that is just wrong. Only a handful of players even have identifiable mainstream nicknames that are truly unique nowadays, "Big Unit" Randy Johnson, Rodger "Rocket" Clemens, "Prince Albert" Pujols, David Ortiz is getting there with "Big Papi" thanks to ESPN's love of the BoSawx. I am truly hopeful that a swarm of truly unique and special nicknames comes about for this new generation of greats, that way I can quiz my kids much in the same way my dad did to me when I was a young kid.

I like the Crow for a nickname. It was a kewl movie about a guy coming back to get his justice.

Well Vargas will come up to the plate for his justice always and plus he is always out there fighting with all he has got.

The kid works for his games hard core.

Jason "the crow" Vargas rocks for a nickname

Your intelligence is surpassed only by your sarcasm....

and wit, and pretty much anything else..

898661[/snapback]

I am just saying, there is nothing original or creative about "Vargy". This is what I am talking about, these lame tags people put on players just to give them a nickname is ruining one of the truly unique parts of the games legacy. That'd be like back in the day calling Walter Johnson "Walty" or Ted Williams "Teddy".

Your intelligence is surpassed only by your sarcasm....

and wit, and pretty much anything else..

898661[/snapback]

I am just saying, there is nothing original or creative about "Vargy". This is what I am talking about, these lame tags people put on players just to give them a nickname is ruining one of the truly unique parts of the games legacy. That'd be like back in the day calling Walter Johnson "Walty" or Ted Williams "Teddy".

898664[/snapback]

Actually one of his nicknames was "Teddy Ballgame"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.