The Anti-Loria Coalltion

I am trying to figure out the darn "quote" thing. Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't get the blue box.

Hit the quote box on the far right, not the first one.

The first one allows you to quote multiple people in one response, but for simple quoting...just go with the one on the far right.

I think what Jeffrey Loria is doing to this team is dispicable. He wants a stadium deal so badly that he is willing to drag this team down to the bottom until he gets what he wants. He reminds me of the Red head owner of the Indians from Major League. He has no loyalty to us fans, who have been quite loyal to a team that continues to piss all over us every couple of years. Don't worry, I will still attend my 40+ games this season and I will still continue to be an ardant supporter. I think Hanley Ramirez shows a lot of promise, and Josh Willingham could mature into a great hitter. But, still, I am very mad at Jeffrey Loria. My best case scenario involves him selling the team. Seriously, we should put out a personal add: "Are you rich? Do you love baseball? Are you not a selfish jerk who abandons those who stands behind him? Than you're what we're looking for!". Ugh, I'm too disgusted to go on. Down with Loria.

I have been a fan since 1995, and I think someone needs to do an investigation on this guy, loria.

pulled the team off English radio (and now we learn refused to talk with a powerful Montreal businessman trying to put them on the air), and declined to keep paying a very small annual fee to reserve a piece of land for our new stadium right near the Bell Centre in the downtown area.

(Yes, I read this, really the only one in this stupid thread. I respect the opinions of Expos fans very much. One of the better members of the MB.com community through 03-05 (and hopefully 06) was an Expos fan. Different from Sports1131, but that's beside the point, Sports1131 posts on some Nats boards I frequent and handles himself most times with class in a threatening environment of frothy Senators fans with a sense of entitlement unheard of in South Florida.)

I'm not going to question his feelings on Loria and Samson, those are his own although completly different from mine and not too unexpected IMO. However, I will question his attempt to rewrite history as quoted above. The move to pull radio and TV was to force the broadcasters to increase their repulsive offer - using the demands from fans to come to agreeable terms to encourage the broadcasters to come back with a better offer. That it did not have an effect tells you a lot about the demand for Expos baseball in Montreal. Not that I blame them, the franchise had been a lame duck since Brochu destroyed the franchise back in the mid 90s and been on a downward path since MLB gave Toronto exclusive shares of affluent English-speaking markets in Ontario in the early 80s, which Bronfman, the original owner, recalls was the most damaging event in the destruction of Montreal as a baseball market. When it gets that bad, there's no point in holding onto land for a stadium that was looking increasingly likely it wasn't going to get built, and if it was it would have a drastically scaled back design of a drastically scaled back design and little hope that it might make staying in Montreal profitable. There is no future and no expenses to be earmarked for it.

He's a fake, a liar and a putrid excuse for an owner. The sooner he and Samson are gone the better. Why waste millions on a giveaway to them.

This from a guy who complains about ad hominem attacks :D

Dude, do you understand what ad hominem means ? It means to attack the messanger instead of debating whatever the subject is. Unless you or rferry are Samson or Loria, your post is meaningless.

He's a fake, a liar and a putrid excuse for an owner. The sooner he and Samson are gone the better. Why waste millions on a giveaway to them.

Dude, do you understand what ad hominem means ? It means to attack the messanger instead of debating whatever the subject is. Unless you or rferry are Samson or Loria, your post is meaningless.

You couldn't even spell ad hominem until I showed you how. :D

And no, that's not what it means. BTW, the word is messenger, not messanger.

Easy, the public figures, like political figures are open to criticism. Columnists, tv (fox etc.) radio personalities etc. make statements about public figures. But if this board turns into name calling of the posters, then it has no purpose. And the subject is what matters, not the spelling. And staying on subject, Loria, like a ballplayer, needs to prove their quality over the test of time, not just a short fling. So far, Loria's M.O. is not anything to warrant unconditional praise, rather, more bad than good. And that is over a pretty good base of years.

(Yes, I read this, really the only one in this stupid thread. I respect the opinions of Expos fans very much. One of the better members of the MB.com community through 03-05 (and hopefully 06) was an Expos fan. Different from Sports1131, but that's beside the point, Sports1131 posts on some Nats boards I frequent and handles himself most times with class in a threatening environment of frothy Senators fans with a sense of entitlement unheard of in South Florida.)

I'm not going to question his feelings on Loria and Samson, those are his own although completly different from mine and not too unexpected IMO. However, I will question his attempt to rewrite history as quoted above. The move to pull radio and TV was to force the broadcasters to increase their repulsive offer - using the demands from fans to come to agreeable terms to encourage the broadcasters to come back with a better offer. That it did not have an effect tells you a lot about the demand for Expos baseball in Montreal. Not that I blame them, the franchise had been a lame duck since Brochu destroyed the franchise back in the mid 90s and been on a downward path since MLB gave Toronto exclusive shares of affluent English-speaking markets in Ontario in the early 80s, which Bronfman, the original owner, recalls was the most damaging event in the destruction of Montreal as a baseball market. When it gets that bad, there's no point in holding onto land for a stadium that was looking increasingly likely it wasn't going to get built, and if it was it would have a drastically scaled back design of a drastically scaled back design and little hope that it might make staying in Montreal profitable. There is no future and no expenses to be earmarked for it.

While I despise Loria (and especially the midget), I'm still not 100% convinced they entered Montreal with absolutely no intention of making things work. If that's the case, the only possibility is they are completely incapable of successfully running a Major League franchise.

With that said, I do think it is a distinct possibility that Loria cancelled the English radio deal just to get a better price, but I do think it was a pretty insane thing to do. He should have proved he was committed to putting a winning team on the field and let some trust build between the fans and the teams after the nightmarish Brochu era before trying to increase profits. And let's be honest, if the Expos were going to get a significant broadcasting deal, it would have been with the French stations.

This is a quote from one of the Expos boards:

Today, [Mitch Garber] joined Mitch Melnick for about an hour and a half on the Team 990. One interesting bit he mentioned was that, in the year of no Expos radio, he had arranged a meeting with Samson with the aim of purchasing the radio rights. This was unusual in that radio stations, not intermediaries, usually buy the rights. Garber did not go into this, but I guess he figured he could handle selling spots or he'd find someone to do it. Anyways, he made a half-hour appointment; Samson was 20 minutes late but Garber managed to get the pitch in, only to be summarily dismissed. The short of the story is that, according to Garber, Samson had no interest in getting the Expos on the air that year.

You couldn't even spell ad hominem until I showed you how. :D

And no, that's not what it means. BTW, the word is messenger, not messanger.

Sir, please stick to the subject. My spelling is not the subject of this thread, nor any thread. You are only making my point by continuing to aimlessly and misguidedly attack me instead of taking on the subject matter of the thread. In the end you will end up being the subject of ridicule not I.

Sir, please stick to the subject. My spelling is not the subject of this thread, nor any thread. You are only making my point by continuing to aimlessly and misguidedly attack me instead of taking on the subject matter of the thread. In the end you will end up being the subject of ridicule not I.

:p

I think what Jeffrey Loria is doing to this team is dispicable. He wants a stadium deal so badly that he is willing to drag this team down to the bottom until he gets what he wants. He reminds me of the Red head owner of the Indians from Major League. He has no loyalty to us fans, who have been quite loyal to a team that continues to piss all over us every couple of years. Don't worry, I will still attend my 40+ games this season and I will still continue to be an ardant supporter. I think Hanley Ramirez shows a lot of promise, and Josh Willingham could mature into a great hitter. But, still, I am very mad at Jeffrey Loria. My best case scenario involves him selling the team. Seriously, we should put out a personal add: "Are you rich? Do you love baseball? Are you not a selfish jerk who abandons those who stands behind him? Than you're what we're looking for!". Ugh, I'm too disgusted to go on. Down with Loria.

i agree with you completely. i hate samson even more than him though, he disrespects the fans and disgraces the sport.

Expos fan here - it's nice to see you guys are starting to come around with regards to the scumbag you have for an owner.

His biggest mistake, both in Florida and in Montreal, is letting Samson control the team. The guy infuriates everybody he talks to and is probably the last person on the planet I'd want trying to negotiate a stadium deal. When you're asking for hundreds of millions of dollars in exchange for pretty much nothing, you can't send in somebody that's so widely disliked.

I think it's pretty sad that once again the fans will probably be blamed for the demise of a team while Loria gets to move on to city #3 (and if it's San Antonio, that's a joke). True, fan support was far from good in Montreal in the Expos' last decade of existence and there's definately been problems in Florida, but his management team does an excellent job killing off any public goodwill.

When Loria bought the Expos, everybody thought he was our saviour. Opening Day attendance was the highest it had been in a long time and the Expos were the talk of the town after years of being simply an afterthought. Then, he hired Samson to run the team over the objections of every single minority partner, pulled the team off English radio (and now we learn refused to talk with a powerful Montreal businessman trying to put them on the air), and declined to keep paying a very small annual fee to reserve a piece of land for our new stadium right near the Bell Centre in the downtown area.

I do think Loria probably is financially capable of running a successful franchise, but until he ditches the midget he will never be anything but a loser. I'm sorry to see that you will probably lose your team after very similar mismanagement.

Thank you for that insight Sports1131 I was not aware of 90% of that. :thumbup

My beef with Loria is not the fire sale. In fact I wouldn't mind a fire sale every 6 or 7 years if it meant long term stability for the club and a chance to make a run at the playoffs periodically. I'm not mad at him for trying to get what other owners (even right here in SoFla) have gotten, a publicly financed stadium. That's the playing field he's playing on. Other rich guys have gotten their stadiums built so he wants the same. I don't blame him for trying to pressure the city and the county by exploring other markets. It's the only leverage that he has.

What I do blame him for is how he and his step son shat on the fan base during the off season. Rather than be standoffish they could have been conciliatory. They could have offered every season ticket holder and extra seat or something. Think about it, it wouldn't cost them a dime and the stadium is empty anyway so there's plenty available. There were about 5,000 season ticket holders in 2003. Those are people who had no idea the team would make the playoffs. This year there's abotu 8,000. People that didn't know this firesale was coming. That means still more than half of the season ticket holders are people that were supporting this team when there were zero expectations, the ones that kept the pulse of baseball alive between the WS wins. Now they've burned us all.

My beef with Loria is not the fire sale. In fact I wouldn't mind a fire sale every 6 or 7 years if it meant long term stability for the club and a chance to make a run at the playoffs periodically. I'm not mad at him for trying to get what other owners (even right here in SoFla) have gotten, a publicly financed stadium. That's the playing field he's playing on. Other rich guys have gotten their stadiums built so he wants the same. I don't blame him for trying to pressure the city and the county by exploring other markets. It's the only leverage that he has.

What I do blame him for is how he and his step son shat on the fan base during the off season. Rather than be standoffish they could have been conciliatory. They could have offered every season ticket holder and extra seat or something. Think about it, it wouldn't cost them a dime and the stadium is empty anyway so there's plenty available. There were about 5,000 season ticket holders in 2003. Those are people who had no idea the team would make the playoffs. This year there's abotu 8,000. People that didn't know this firesale was coming. That means still more than half of the season ticket holders are people that were supporting this team when there were zero expectations, the ones that kept the pulse of baseball alive between the WS wins. Now they've burned us all.

Thanks FRZ, very good POV from a season ticket holder. Loria and the midget have burned their bridges and it seems they are hell bent now on a schorched Earth policy. No one is safe.

While I despise Loria (and especially the midget), I'm still not 100% convinced they entered Montreal with absolutely no intention of making things work. If that's the case, the only possibility is they are completely incapable of successfully running a Major League franchise.

I think you're romanticizing the past. Loria was already a minority owner when he was named chairman despite not being the largest shareholder. Many feel that he was brought in not because he had a plan that could save baseball in Montreal or to destroy it, but to take the fall that the other owners - all with ties to the city - could not afford. They knew the club was going nowhere but down and out, or atleast that there was a very strong possibility that it might. Heck, they tried to sell the team twice behind the scenes to DC-area interests. Rather than lose credibility, they gave Loria the steering wheel. They willingly allowed their interests, real on the book shares (I don't think they were all too happy about this, but it might just have be worth it) and perceived role, in the club be dilluted. They in effect became silent partners in a partnership in an industry that all but assured a profit at the end. This part of the reason why it's been hard for Loria to bring in additional investors. The silent ones don't want to sell until the club has substantially increased in value as the market projects that it will, if not in South Florida than in San Antonio.

Re: Garber.

Sounds like Garber wasn't held in high regard, and he admits as such explaining the uniqueness of the potential partnership, which surely would also have had some affect in Samson's mind whether Garber's station could offer and actually pay an amount close to agreeable terms. Also sounds like Garber was and is trying to get his name in the news as someone who tried to help Expos fans.

Re: TV issue and FRZ's point.

In business, one must continuously consider the value of their investments. When a marketing expense that's intent is increasing future sales loses some if not all its value from the quality of the campaign or its realizable value, you must reconsider whether to continue assuming the expense. For example, the Marlins need to continually increase its fan base, if not simply to cover any people who move away or whatever. The most productive way to do this is to market to youth. However, if the team may not be here when the youth grow into purchasing age, is it worth it to the club to market to them? Depends on the possibility they might realize significant value. Same thing about attracting people to the park when gameday revenues are greatly reduced. Its realizable value is much less than one would expect and may not be a huge concern for the club. There are many examples. It's rather unfortunate.

no but im having my milk break ... than comes nap time

simply tired of stupid negative crap ... this is going to be a loooooong season with lots of little kids bitching all day long

Dude, don't give me crap about being "a little kid bitching". My family and I have been season ticket holders since 1994. I've supported this team through the good and the bad. (and there's alot more bad than good to be honest). However, I love the team and the game. I don't need a winning team to enjoy the game. I will always be a fish fan. I just resent the way our owner is treating us. He thinks he can piss and moan and bring this team down to get what he wants. I think he's being a jerk.

Out of all the years of Marlins baseball you missed you missed the 93 season? Next to the 97 and 03 seasons, that was the best one.

I didn't miss the 93 season. I just didn't become a season ticket holder until 1994.

I don't hate Loria. This team needs a stadium and has been without one for how long again? Thirteen freaking years. It's ridiculous.

There is not ONE fan that disagrees that they need a new stadium. What we differ on is who should foot the bill. The Marlins want the taxpayers (you & me) to pay for it, while the County & other municipal entities will expect the Marlins to pay at least a portion. It doesn't help the Marlins cause that ATT Park in San Francisco, and the brand new Busch Stadium in St Louis were almost totally privately financed. It makes the Marlins owners look either :

a) greedy

b) poor

c) greedy & poor

d) just plain fools

e) all of the above

My 2?

It doesn't help the Marlins cause that ATT Park in San Francisco, and the brand new Busch Stadium in St Louis were almost totally privately financed.

However it does help the Marlins that every other stadium were almost entirely publically-financed, correct?