Joe Borchard is the Messiah

Beinfest gets Borchard and all of a sudden we are winning and on top of that the Florida Senate out of nowhere starts discussing about giving our incompetent president $60million to close the gap for the stadium funding.

Coincidence?

I THINK NOT!

Borchard is the chosen one.

He has come to save this franchise.

Sense a strong presence of the force do I.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I don't know about Borchard being the messiah, but Abercrombie definitely better worry about losing his spot in the lineup with him coming in (especially once Hermida returns). Maybe this will light even more of a fire under his... I wouldn't mind seeing a few more of those 492 foot bombs before he loses his spot.

Okay what did he do? :mischief I was at work :loser

He went like 3 - 4 with an RBI today

And saved us from San Antonio and mediocrity in the process :notworthy

I also hear he's balancing the budget while in the dug-out.

Tomorrow he takes on aids and world hunger...in between eating Jeff Suppan for lunch.

I don't know about Borchard being the messiah, but Abercrombie definitely better worry about losing his spot in the lineup with him coming in (especially once Hermida returns). Maybe this will light even more of a fire under his... I wouldn't mind seeing a few more of those 492 foot bombs before he loses his spot.

Just a thought, but maybe it now comes down to Olivo/Abercrombie.

I mean, Hammer's a pretty big swing man. He could even be a dark-horse for firstbase...

do any have bio on Borchard ?? that way i know more about him

I posted some stuff in the game thread and in the Borchard thread (but that disappeared, I don't know what went on there).

Lemme find it for you:

http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index...dpost&p=1137067

You don't have a guy who has 30 homerun potential as a rookie according to BA just forget completely how to hit:

Borchard should fit in well at the remodeled Comiskey Park, which turned into a launching pad after the fences were brought in. He?s a good bet for 30-plus homers as a rookie, with the better question being whether it happens now or in 2003. Borchard?s ability as a student will determine whether he can make better contact and get to more balls in the outfield.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/leag...ox/02top10.html

and:

Borchard is a superior athlete who has serious power from both sides of the plate. He has an uncanny ability to come through in big situations. He has a strong arm, which he once showed by throwing five touchdown passes for Stanford against UCLA. He isn't a basestealer but runs well for a big man, circling the bases on an inside-the-park homer at Kauffman Stadium in September. The Sox face a difficult decision with Borchard. He's ready to contribute in the big leagues but they must determine if he'd benefit from at least another half-season at Triple-A Charlotte.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/leag...ox/03top10.html

Now, when he was drafted I recall there being Mantle comparisons and such, and they were obviously misguided, but the only complaint is he chases bad pitches. That sounds like 3/5 of the outfielders on the team, and if the guy is going to hit double digit homers as a switch hitter, sign me up.

Here is Borchard's bio from the mlb.com website:

Married Erin ... wife Erin participated in the 2004 U.S. Olympic Diving Trials ... visited children at Rush University Medical Center during the 2004 season ... was rated by Baseball America as the second-best collegiate athlete, defensive player, power hitter and as having the second-best arm strength in the 2000 draft ... attended Stanford University, where he was an outfielder on the baseball team and a quarterback on the football team ... left school ranked eighth in average (.346) and home runs (40) and ninth in RBI (187) ... earned All-Pac 10 honors in baseball in 1999-2000 ... was named Most Outstanding Player of the 2000 NCAA Regional ... led team with a .390 (16-41) average in the NCAA postseason ... was named to the NCAA All-Tournament Team three straight seasons ... participated in both the 1999 College World Series and 2000 Rose Bowl ... was the leading candidate to start at quarterback for the 2000 Cardinal football team ... recorded back-to-back 300-yard passing games vs. UCLA and San Jose State as a junior in 1999 ... owns the Pac-10 and school record for the longest touchdown pass (98 yards) from scrimmage ... is a 1997 graduate of Camarillo (Calif.) High School ... won CIF Division III Player of the Year honors in football his senior year ... earned All-America status according to Prep Star and was an All-Far West selection by Super Prep ... father, Joe, was a 1969 draft pick of the Kansas City Royals ... was selected by the Baltimore Orioles in the 20th round of the 1997 draft but did not sign.

Good to see Borchard has caught on somewhere where he can actually play consistantly. Most Sox fans are cheering for him, including I. He has a ton of talent and if he ever finds a way to harness it and avoid striking out in 1/2 his ABs he'll be a pretty productive player.

More than the hits last nite, was a play he made or rather didn't make that impressed me. The sliding foul ball he went after and nearly caught. He showed hustle and enthusiasm last nite. I know Jo-Jo liked that as well.

He knows this may be his last opportunity and I can't wait to see him take advantage of it. :thumbup

Knee jerk can't begin to describe this forum sometime

:poke

It's all in good fun Quick. I can promise you no one thinks Borchard is the going to suddenly become an All-Star here.

Doesn't mean people can't root for the guy though.

It's like the Billy Koch move kinda. If he can figure things out, terrific. If not, no harm done.

He is an awesome clubhouse guy, fierce competitor and has talent. Pitch selection kills him but if he gets ahold of a pitch, it's gone. He doesn't do anything stupid and he is very easy to root for. I really hope he figures it out because he could really do something. He has 4 tools, if he figures out the fifth watch out.

Anyone that really likes baseball pulls for a Joe Borchard.

FWIW

He is an awesome clubhouse guy, fierce competitor and has talent. Pitch selection kills him but if he gets ahold of a pitch, it's gone. He doesn't do anything stupid and he is very easy to root for. I really hope he figures it out because he could really do something. He has 4 tools, if he figures out the fifth watch out.

Anyone that really likes baseball pulls for a Joe Borchard.

FWIW

Jenks after reading that, I'm rooting for the guy even more ! :thumbup

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.