The Trade Deadline Has Come and Gone

The trade deadline has passed and the Marlins have decided to stand pat. Despite being subjected to almost daily Dontrelle Willis trade rumors for the last two months, Beinfest and Loria have followed through on their promise not to trade the D-Train. No Miguel Cabrera sent packing for a bevy of prospects. Borowski, Helms and Herges? Here for the long haul this season.

Through his inaction, Beinfest made a statement today. That statement? He believes in the young talent that he has assembled on the field this season. The young rotation we have right now looks more and more to be one we can expect see for years to come. We also seem to be set for the next few seasons at first base, third base, shortstop, second base and rightfield. The only question marks, as I see it, are at the catcher, leftfield and centerfield positions, with centerfield being the biggest question mark. Not too bad when one considers that many thought the whole team outside of Dontrelle and Miguel to be one big question mark not too long ago.

We will now see how this season plays out. After the series loss in Philadelphia, I am not expecting we will be winning the Wild Card this season barring a herculean effort down the stretch. However, 75 to 80 wins are well within our reach this season... something many fans here thought was impossible before Opening Day.

The biggest thing we will have to address the coming offseason is our need for a quality centerfielder. By not trading for one today, the Marlins will be able to continue to evaluate our talented crew of pitchers in the minors as well as the talent other teams have to offer.

While I am disappointed we were unable to land that centerfielder before the trade deadline, I am sure it was for the best. When Beinfest was interviewed by Craig Minervini at the game today, I recall him mentioning he wasn't willing to mortgage the future of the team in order to make a trade.

I expect Beinfest to make a deal to get the right centerfielder for the Marlins during the coming offseason and from more of a position of strength since he wasn't forced to make a last minute deal to get one today. Smart man, Beinfest. We are lucky to have him as our GM.

Well said. Me being a huge homer still thinks we have a shot at the WC. I am expecting some miraculous streak to playforth at the end of the year :lol

Regardless, LB is one of the best in the biz. He doesn't get enough respect with the Schuerholz's of the league but I'm glad he is well respected by Marlin fans.

The fact we didn't move one single player impresses me in a few ways. Beinfest was not willing to just move players to dump more salary for crap in return (JoBo, Herges, Helms), he kept his word not moving the keys to this team (Cabs and Train), which in my mind saves the entire fanbase from not losing faith in this team in the future.

On that note, let's finish the rest of this season strong and shake things up in the Wild Card!

:hat

Borowski is not part of the future of this organization. As much as Beinfest and Co. would like to think the Fish have a shot at this thing, I can only hope they havn't lost track of the big picture. The Marlins were never supposed to contend this year, and they could have probably gotten a nice piece in return for JoBo

See here's the thing though, if we sell Borowski, Herges and Helms... specifically the pitchers... then that would mean we'd have even more young players in the bigs who neccessarily aren't ready. You have to have the right mix, and I believe without those three guys you'd be wearing out the young arms even quicker. You gotta remember that this is the first time many of our squad is playing a full season, and if they were to get tired and weary, they'd just implode in late August and September, leaving no one in a good frame of mind for next year. I can see the benefits of keeping them.

Im disappointed we didnt move Borowski, Helms and Herges

As am I

me three. Especially Borowski. Seriously, we probably could have received a king's ransom for him (as in...a potential CFer of the future).

But, I'll tell you this. I'm very glad we didn't trade D-Train. HOWEVER, If the FO ends up trading him in the off-season, I'm going to be very upset. We could have cashed in this year. I PRAY this means that we're holding onto D-Train for at least next year.

The reason Jo Bo wasn't traded was because of the funk the bullpen has fallen into as the last week or 2. We have very promising relief corps but it seems to have fallen ina slump. i think it has been a little off kilter when K-Mart got hurt...Kensing Tank K-Mart were devastating ...To That u added JoBo...this bullpen was the best in baseball for about a month (Messy was also pitching awesome) The talent is there the confidence and cockiness has wained. If we are to make the WC JoBo needs to stay. JoBo was our best option to get a talented CF. Other scenarios may have played out but the price wouldn't have been right...I wish to reiterate I am disappointed as well but in Beinfest I trust

Probably could've gotten Wily Taveras for Herges, considering the Astros were willing to trade him to Colorado for Ray King, who is considerably worse and more expensive than Matt.

The Astros were not gonna give us Taveras for Herges in any way or form..Would Colorado trade Herges for King...I think not!

Probably could've gotten Wily Taveras for Herges, considering the Astros were willing to trade him to Colorado for Ray King, who is considerably worse and more expensive than Matt.

The Astros were not gonna give us Taveras for Herges in any way or form..Would Colorado trade Herges for King...I think not!

Well, frankly.. The fact that Colorado wouldn't trade Herges for King is not really an adequate indicator of whether or not Houston would do it.

If I'm the Astros, however, I take Herges over Ray King anyday in my right mind...Atleast this year

Cheaper, durable, more reliable.

I'm also glad the Marlins did not deviate from their plan with their current roster.

There is no doubt that they still need a CF, and will address this in the offseason. Maybe they just want to showcase guys like Petit and Pinto in September to get some interest for the offseason.

I would love to know what kind of offers Beinfest received for Borowski...

I think we all would.

I assume Ramp's thesis is correct, he meant more to the "team" than anything they could get in return.

In much the same way as Bryan Harvey saved a fledgling 1993 Marlins team from total embarrassment and helped them understand what winning was all about, Borowski is cast in somewhat the same role this season. Being seven games under .500 is alot better than being seventeen games under .500 when you are trying to teach a young team about what it takes to be winners.

The 2007 Florida Marlins will be a better team for having Borowski closing games this year.