Wes Obermueller up; Scott Tyler down

ultimopain

Wes Obermueller-R- Marlins

The Marlins will call up Wes Obermueller to replace the injured Sergio Mitre as Sunday's starter against the Nationals. Even against the Nationals, we can't recommend picking up Obermueller in NL-only leagues. It'd be for the best if he's not needed to make more than one or two starts.

Scott Tyler-R- Marlins

Marlins optioned RHP Scott Tyler to Double-A Carolina. Tyler didn't make an appearance in two days with the Marlins.

Source: Rotoworld.

Why on EARTH wasn't Tyler used tonight then? Why did Mess have to go 2 innings when he'd already pitched yesterday? I thought they may be saving Tyler for tomorrow for a few innings. It's not as if the game was on the line in the 8th or 9th innings tonight.

Tyler should have played the 7th tonight with that lead. Messenger could've used a night off. This makes Tyler's call up pointless. Not too good for his psyche after thinking he was going to get a start.

I never read anything that suggested Tyler would start. All I read was Gregg, Obermueller, Hernandez or George.

Tyler should have played the 7th tonight with that lead. Messenger could've used a night off. This makes Tyler's call up pointless. Not too good for his psyche after thinking he was going to get a start.

I never read anything that suggested Tyler would start. All I read was Gregg, Obermueller, Hernandez or George.

You both have good points IMO. I didn't mind Messenger coming in, but I would have liked to see Tyler take the 9th in this blow out. And from what I understand his parents were also here. He was never going to start a game but it would have been nice to let him get a little experience and not just totally waste the call up. He was warming up in the pen so I thought for sure we would get a quick glimpse of him.

Oh well. We broke that losing streak and we got donuts.

would have been worse for his psyche if they'd trotted him out there to get shelled because he's not ready for his mlb start. see vanden hurk, rick.

Kind of wish the Marlins still had Petit for times like these.

Ok, so Julio is terrible, but I still don't get this longing for Petit. Did you watch him pitch last year and this spring? He's not very good. I'm guessing Obermuller has just as good of a chance of giving us 5 good innings as Petit would have. Both are career AAA/5th starters at best. In fact, going purely by the numbers, Obermueller has out pitched Petit this year in AAA.

I was surprised Tyler didnt get a try for an inning last night too....although the way he's pitched in Carolina the last 2 seasons it probably would've been ugly.

Sadly, Wes is about as capable as Petit of giving a decent start right now. Cant say I wouldnt want the higher upside crappy guy taking the ball though.

Easier said in hindsight.

Oh, this isn't in hindsight, buddy. :lol

Definitely not.

Yeah, I guess we haven't seen the player we acquired for Petit suck ass already :blink:

The second that trade was announced I was one of three people vehemently opposed to all aspects of it. Before Julio even threw a single inning in spring training for the Marlins.

That has relevance to my statement how?

Definitely not.

Ok, so Julio is terrible, but I still don't get this longing for Petit. Did you watch him pitch last year and this spring? He's not very good. I'm guessing Obermuller has just as good of a chance of giving us 5 good innings as Petit would have. Both are career AAA/5th starters at best. In fact, going purely by the numbers, Obermueller has out pitched Petit this year in AAA.

I've seen Petit pitch. I've seen Obermueller pitch with the Brewers. Petit is the better pitcher and I would rather have him throwing 5 today.

Not that it really matters, but I'm guessing Petit doesn't come close to matching the job Obermueller did today.

Definitely not.

Yeah, I guess we haven't seen the player we acquired for Petit suck ass already :blink:

The second that trade was announced I was one of three people vehemently opposed to all aspects of it. Before Julio even threw a single inning in spring training for the Marlins.

That has relevance to my statement how?

Either you are being inarticulate or I simply don't understand what you are saying.

The moment the trade was announced I was opposed to it for three reasons: Julio not a good pitcher, cost of the trade, moving a serviceable arm with the potential to start (with Josh Johnson hurting) was a bad idea.

I never liked the idea of moving Petit not because I thought he was that spectacular, but because he had the potential to eat innings while starters like Johnson (and Sanchez) were having injury problems. The moment Petit left, the Marlins lost a legitimate spot starter and long reliever.

As Obermueller proved today, a team with any eye for talent at all should be able to find a guy to make a spot start. Petit is Obermueller, ability wise. Both are 5th starter types with average major league stuff. I'm glad that you are happy that Julio is proving you right that he is not a good pitcher, but you are vastly overrating the ability of Petit.