time frame for new stadium

Some people actually drive north for the games, and would be happy to have a stadium further south....Just build it, they will come.

Truer words were never spoken. :thumbup

Every marketing survey the Marlins have done since 2002 says the biggest underserved group of would be fans is south and southwest of Miami.

That is such an understatement, metrorail access to the staduim would increase attendence by 10,000 per game alone

true, if the marlins get a new downtown miami ballpark, they will wind up losing a number of hard core, dedicated palm beach and broward fans who now would have to drive anywhere from 20-35 minutes each way to the game.

Thats sad and I hope it is sarcasm.

I am hoping to go to 19 games this year(@ KC, @ MIL, @ STL, @ CIN, @ CHIC, @ CHIW), and the closest one is an hour and a half away. KC, Chicago, Cincinnati, Milwaukee...all 5+ hours away.

Id kill to be able to only have to drive a half an hour to see the Fish.

Cape (or anyone who knows how the legislature works),

It looks as if some kind of a Marlins stadium bill will reach the floor of the House. If the bill passes there, assuming they don't wait until the very last moment and run out of time, will it then automatically go to the Senate floor for a vote?

In other words, the Senate really doesn't have to move a Marlins bill through committees if the House is able to do it, right?

If the above is true, the challenge for the House sponsors would be to draft a stadium bill that the Senate would be able to approve. If the Senate sponsors have to amend the House bill in order for it to pass in their chamber, then it would probably delay the passage enough to essentially kill it unless a special session is called by the Gov. (I personally don't see Crist calling a special session just to pass stadium legislation)

true, if the marlins get a new downtown miami ballpark, they will wind up losing a number of hard core, dedicated palm beach and broward fans who now would have to drive anywhere from 20-35 minutes each way to the game.

I am hoping to go to 19 games this year(@ KC, @ MIL, @ STL, @ CIN, @ CHIC, @ CHIW), and the closest one is an hour and a half away. KC, Chicago, Cincinnati, Milwaukee...all 5+ hours away.

My drive right now is about an hour. If it is put in downtown miami it would be about 1hour 45 min-2 hour with traffic and all.

Figure out of work at 5, head home meeting up with girl after her work and going to a 7:05 or even 7:35 start game wouldnt be possible. To make it simple logicstically.

But, if they get a stadium from WPB to Key West is all I care they get one and stay and spend. If I watch or listen on the radio or am there only weekends I dont care whichever works for me. Just dont want to lose my fish.

I also couldtake offense at the comment it is racism. Not everything in the world revolves around that. I assume that was merely a poor choice of wording there.

I think it is more of a fact that some folks will be lazy and want it closer. If it was up in WPB I would expect folks in Miami to say the opposite.

Like Bill Mauer asked recently "If folks could stop global warming just by not using the tv remote anymore, how many would get up off of their fat asres to change the channel?" Personally I think half of america or the world even would say let someone else deal with it :thumbdown

All that matters is we get a stadium somewhere then folks can figure out their personal situations.

It looks as if some kind of a Marlins stadium bill will reach the floor of the House. If the bill passes there, assuming they don't wait until the very last moment and run out of time, will it then automatically go to the Senate floor for a vote?

In other words, the Senate really doesn't have to move a Marlins bill through committees if the House is able to do it, right?

If the above is true, the challenge for the House sponsors would be to draft a stadium bill that the Senate would be able to approve. If the Senate sponsors have to amend the House bill in order for it to pass in their chamber, then it would probably delay the passage enough to essentially kill it unless a special session is called by the Gov. (I personally don't see Crist calling a special session just to pass stadium legislation)

If the House passes it, it is then communicated to the Senate for amendment/vote/discussion. The Senate should have a copy of every house bill and the Traviesa bill does have a Senate version.

http://capefish.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-b...ecomes-law.html

My drive right now is about an hour. If it is put in downtown miami it would be about 1hour 45 min-2 hour with traffic and all.

Figure out of work at 5, head home meeting up with girl after her work and going to a 7:05 or even 7:35 start game wouldnt be possible. To make it simple logicstically.

But, if they get a stadium from WPB to Key West is all I care they get one and stay and spend. If I watch or listen on the radio or am there only weekends I dont care whichever works for me. Just dont want to lose my fish.

I also couldtake offense at the comment it is racism. Not everything in the world revolves around that. I assume that was merely a poor choice of wording there.

I think it is more of a fact that some folks will be lazy and want it closer. If it was up in WPB I would expect folks in Miami to say the opposite.

Like Bill Mauer asked recently "If folks could stop global warming just by not using the tv remote anymore, how many would get up off of their fat asres to change the channel?" Personally I think half of america or the world even would say let someone else deal with it :thumbdown

All that matters is we get a stadium somewhere then folks can figure out their personal situations.

First of all it doesn't take 45 minutes to an hour to get to either downtown location from Dolphins Stadium. More like 15-20 minutes. The OB is actually closer.

Second for people traveling from Miami to WPB or points north of Dade the drive is WITH all the rush hour traffic. Driving south that time of day is a breeze.

btw, Broward and Palm Beach traffic sucks as much as Miami traffic.

i don't know what I-95 you've been on, but bulls***!

honestly. i'm not just trying to start an argument. but in my experience... the traffic to, and moreso from miami is almost unbearable.

My $0.02:

(1) Traffic in Palm Beach County is just as bad as it is in any other part of South Florida! I have to travel on I-95 every morning from western Lake Worth to my office in downtown West Palm Beach. From Hypoluxo Road north to Okeechobee Boulevard, it is stop and go, as it is anywhere else in South Florida. Plus, going south is no picnic either. When I worked in downtown Ft. Lauderdale and drove from western Lake Worth, not a day went by when I didn't hit "bumper-to-bumper" traffic from just south of Palmetto Park Road in Boca Raton all the way to Atlantic Avenue in Pompano Beach! That was in the morning!!! In the afternoons, heading south from Palm Beach County is a breeze until you hit Broward County. From Hillsboro to I-595, the Interstate is a nightmare, it actually clears up past Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport and is pretty clear all through Miami-Dade County as well! It's that Central Broward portion of the Interstate (from Deerfield Beach to Dania Beach) that is the worst segment traffic wise. The Turnpike may be a little better, but the bottleneck that occurs at the Commercial Boulevard toll plaza is a royal pain in the ass! Also, calling Miami a "cramped city" is one hell of a misnomer. Miami is as sparse as they come, and is no more cramped than Broward or Palm Beach Counties. If Miami were a "cramped city" then you wouldn't have the traffic problems you complain about because we'd be talking about high densities in a small area (think Manhattan).

(2) It is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that the governor will call a special session to address stadium funding. That would be a guarantee for failure. We're talking about dragging over 100 legislators up to Tallahassee to address an issue that, no matter how passionate all of you here are, is really important to, at most, 0.10% of the population of the state (15,000 out of 16,000,000)! Not going to happen!!! Not when there is a property insurance and property tax crisis in the state. Not when there are budget shortfalls in the state (no thanks to Jebby's tax cutting!), and not when there are other pressing issues.

(3) The Democrats are not really out to make Crist look like a loser or failure. As a matter of fact, most of the Democratic legislators are very happy with Crist (I have that from numerous first hand accounts!). If there is a group in Florida that is "ticked-off" at the governor, it's the conservative Republicans who are upset that Crist is undoing all the work Jeb Bush has done. There are rumblings within the Republican party of finding a challenger to Crist in the 2010 Primary! The issue of whether this stadium gets funded or not is NOT the poison dart that the Democrats are looking at to harm Crist's work.

(4) I've always held to this position, where the hell are the Marlins (or any baseball team for that matter) going to go where these problems are not going to rear their ugly heads? Portland? The state and city are balking at funding a park there. Las Vegas? MLB will not allow a move there (I saw with my own eyes the MLB memo to the Marlins on that fact!). San Antonio? Market size will be an issue in the long term. Monterrey? Oh, yeah, if the Canadian dollar was an issue, imagine paying the players in US Dollars in a Mexican economy! Orlando? No money for a facility and it's not like the Legislature is going to be more willing to fund a park there, they're not giving money to the Magic! What's left? East Rutherford, NJ? Wilpon and Steinbrenner will make Angelos look like a docile puppy if that were to happen.

So there you are, this is going to take a long time. Minnesota and Oakland took a long time, as will this. Just need to look at things rationally.

20-35 min each way is nothing. What might happen is people from palm beach and north broward would probably go to less weekday game and more weekend games. I used to live in coconut grove and it would take me 14 min to get to the stadium, so if they built it in downtown we would only be taking 15 min each way.

If the House passes it, it is then communicated to the Senate for amendment/vote/discussion. The Senate should have a copy of every house bill and the Traviesa bill does have a Senate version.

http://capefish.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-b...ecomes-law.html

Thanks Cape. You have truly become our "legislative expert". One more question. Do you know if the Conference Committee is established before hand for each session (who are the members, etc) or do they set up a specific Conference Committee for every bill that needs a compromise in order to be sent to the Governor?

The bill was taken out of the committee....so it is being expedited to the floor.

so like a vote can come at any minute?

It is on the calendar for second reading. Once it is read for the second time in front of the chamber, it moves to third reading where the debate and vote are done.

I left for lunch, and they pull off this. I am continuing to monitor the session.

The House is busy as a bee, but in a bit of a lull right now.

First of all it doesn't take 45 minutes to an hour to get to either downtown location from Dolphins Stadium. More like 15-20 minutes. The OB is actually closer.

Second for people traveling from Miami to WPB or points north of Dade the drive is WITH all the rush hour traffic. Driving south that time of day is a breeze.

My point was it isnt a racial thing, and that was a poor choice of words by you. And that what really matters is getting a stadium anywhere.

First off it does take an extra 30-45 minutes because of getting there in rush hour times and then finding parking (unless they are building alot of parking there the area of the orange bowl is a B$$$h when I go to UM games). When you are up north you barely will make the game now between from work to home to game for multiple people on weekday nights. Not an excuse but my point is I most likely physcially couldnt make it before the start often hence I would most likely do a weekend pack instead.

Second I have traveled both ways for years, when I went to UM I used to drive there and back in rush hour pretty much daily it is hell doing it both ways into and out of the city :) All of south florida with the eternal construction of I95 to the turnpikes own (already paid off but still toll road grr) can be packed easily and troublesome. That goes on from miami to WPB.

My main point is there are factors everyone has for not going all the way down there if it is indeed put there. Just as I am sure there are factors why alot of folks from miami dont go up right now to broward. Like I said assumption is bad for it. But there is no need for this debate in this thread at all.

What matters is getting a ballpark somewhere in south florida from Alligator alley east and wpm to key west. That is all I care about right now. :thumbup

The bill was taken out of the committee....so it is being expedited to the floor.

so like a vote can come at any minute?

It is on the calendar for second reading. Once it is read for the second time in front of the chamber, it moves to third reading where the debate and vote are done.

I left for lunch, and they pull off this. I am continuing to monitor the session.

The House is busy as a bee, but in a bit of a lull right now.

That means we could have a second reading today and put into a third reading by the end of the week?

My point was it isnt a racial thing, and that was a poor choice of words by you. And that what really matters is getting a stadium anywhere.

My words were carefully chosen and used with a full understanding of the implications of using each and every one of them.

The internet (see ESPN Marlins messageboard, see others) is littered with references as to why Broward and especially PBC people would rather the team leave than have to drive into the city of Miami.

BTW, I'm not including you in that group, but you have to know they are out there.

Could the BC/PBC vs. MDC debate please be put aside? I am leaving until 5pm and will need y'all to stay on top of the House action.

I've put up links to all the bills and the live video feed on the Marlins Ballpark News: http://capefish.blogspot.com/

Who died and made you boss? The House will act when it wants to act and doesn't need any of us "armchair quarterbacks" hovering over it.

My words were carefully chosen and used with a full understanding of the implications of using each and every one of them.

The internet (see ESPN Marlins messageboard, see others) is littered with references as to why Broward and especially PBC people would rather the team leave than have to drive into the city of Miami.

BTW, I'm not including you in that group, but you have to know they are out there.

Not just ESPN message boards, feel free to read the Sun-Sentinel message boards and comments sections (one of the refuges of racist and bigoted folks out there), Palm Beach Post message boards and comments sections, and other places where "Broward People" and "Palm Beach People" usually use comments regarding Miami that sound as if they came right from the mouth of Tom Tancredo. It is amazing how many ignorant people still live and breathe among us.