Moyer: The Fish Killer

Hollyberry

*Captian Obvious*

We have 3 (I think) more series with the Phillies and we are bound to run into Moyer a few more times. We seriously need to figure this guy out or we are going to have more meh games like this. Hopefully the hitters will do some studying.

Isnt he like 5-0 against us in 5 games?

Anyone know how long he is signed with the Phillies? :p

The Marlins have struggled all year to hit quality pitching. Sure, we look like world killers against poor pitchers, but anyone else and we seem to not be able to figure it out.

It's the same with most really good pitchers and despite his age, Moyer is still a really good pitcher... most people just don't give him that credit because he doesn't wow people. The fact of the matter is, he does this to most people he faces and to his credit not many others "figure it out".

The Marlins have struggled all year to hit quality pitching. Sure, we look like world killers against poor pitchers, but anyone else and we seem to not be able to figure it out.

It's the same with most really good pitchers and despite his age, Moyer is still a really good pitcher... most people just don't give him that credit because he doesn't wow people. The fact of the matter is, he does this to most people he faces and to his credit not many others "figure it out".

The point I was trying to make is that you need smart hitters to hit off of good pitchers. Otherwise you won't stand a chance. The marlins hitters haven't proven able or even willing to try and change their approaches against good pitchers. I remember a Jeff Conine trying to take a Tom Glavine (in his prime Atlanta days) to the opposite field. That's how you win ballgames. Make the adjustments and don't make it easy for the other team. Make contact with the ball and stop swinging out of your shoes.

The point I was trying to make is that you need smart hitters to hit off of good pitchers. Otherwise you won't stand a chance. The marlins hitters haven't proven able or even willing to try and change their approaches against good pitchers. I remember a Jeff Conine trying to take a Tom Glavine (in his prime Atlanta days) to the opposite field. That's how you win ballgames. Make the adjustments and don't make it easy for the other team. Make contact with the ball and stop swinging out of your shoes.

Very true.

But you have to give Moyer his props. When he has great control and puts it exactly where he wants to he's hard to hit. Jeff Conine once said that if a pitcher is completely on and throwing the ball exactly where he wants to throw it there is nothing you can do. You just have to be patient and wait for a decent pitch to hit.

I think next time we face him we just need to do things to get him out of his game. Bunting, as someone previously mentioned, could work. Have Hanley bunt... if we have De Aza back by then let him bunt, too. Take him as deep into counts as possible. Don't swing at the first pitch. Be patient.

We suck against him because our hitters are young and eager to hit.

Very true.

But you have to give Moyer his props. When he has great control and puts it exactly where he wants to he's hard to hit. Jeff Conine once said that if a pitcher is completely on and throwing the ball exactly where he wants to throw it there is nothing you can do. You just have to be patient and wait for a decent pitch to hit.

I think next time we face him we just need to do things to get him out of his game. Bunting, as someone previously mentioned, could work. Have Hanley bunt... if we have De Aza back by then let him bunt, too. Take him as deep into counts as possible. Don't swing at the first pitch. Be patient.

We suck against him because our hitters are young and eager to hit.

Yeah and when hitters show that they're willing to do that... he puts a couple over where they're not really decent but strikes and becomes just as effective... bunting seems great though, because the pitches are so slow, you could square up on all of them perfectly... :thumbup

I think the best bet is just to stay up there and try to foul off and take often like has been suggested... but you know... sometimes a pitcher just has your number... or in this case, our whole team...

Well the guys wouldn't be the ace of their staff if they were easy to hit. That's not an excuse or anything, we need to hit off of them. It just isnt that easy though.