Fish @ Rays 5/18 6:40pm from the Trop

PLEASE NOTE THE SPECIAL 6:40PM START TIME!!!!!!!!!

courtesy mlb.com

Interacting with the American League has traditionally appealed to the Marlins.

With an all-time mark of 96-72, the Marlins have the third best Interleague record in the Major Leagues. Florida also has been to the playoffs twice since their inaugural 1993 season, and they have won the World Series on both occasions.

Against their in-state rivals, the Devil Rays, the Marlins enjoy a 31-21 edge.

The Marlins and Rays resume the "Citrus Series" on Friday night, with the first of three games at Tropicana Field.

While the Marlins have dominated the series, Tampa Bay took four of six last year. And the Rays have won the series two of the last three seasons. The exception was 2005, when Florida went 6-0.

The Marlins head back to the state of Florida after going 2-4 in the first two legs of their three-city road trip. After stumbling on Thursday night, they split a four-game series with Pittsburgh.

The Rays swept all three games at Tropicana Field in 2006, which at the time dropped the Marlins to 11-31. From that point, the season turned around, as the Marlins ended up being in Wild Card contention until September.

Newly acquired right-hander Byung-Hyun Kim will make his Marlins debut on Friday night. Obtained from the Rockies on Sunday for Jorge Julio, Kim was officially activated on Thursday. The Rays are going with Edwin Jackson, who is 0-5 with a 6.82 ERA.

Since the first three games are being played in an American League park, the designated hitter will be used.

Manager Fredi Gonzalez said that during the series, he is considering using Miguel Cabrera, Josh Willingham and maybe Jeremy Hermida as the designated hitters over the three games.

A fan of Interleague Play, Gonzalez favors a slight twist for future games.

"I think it's good to see the different teams," Gonzalez said. "The only spin I'd like to do, if I were the commissioner, is I'd like to see the DH used on the home [National League] field. For example, if we go to Tampa, we play the National League rules. It's a little different for the fans. For the American League teams coming to the National League cities, they should use the DH. Other than that, I think it's good."

In all, the Marlins will play 18 Interleague games. The main stretch comes with 15 straight games with the American League from June 8-24.

The Citrus Series shifts to Dolphin Stadium, June 8-10. And on the 10th anniversary of the Marlins-Indians 1997 World Series, Cleveland visits Miami, June 12-14. The Marlins travel to Kansas City and the Chicago White Sox, June 15-20. And the Interleague slate concludes at home when the Twins come to town, June 22-24.

Marlins veteran Aaron Boone enjoys the break that Interleague games provide.

"I think it adds to the season, because you are playing teams you haven't played much," Boone said. "I think it's enough where I don't think they go overboard with it. I like it."

Boone has some familiarity with Tampa Bay.

In 2005, while with the Indians, Boone remembers the Devil Rays foiling Cleveland's playoff hopes.

"They beat us when we were going for the playoffs down the stretch," Boone said. "They seem to be on the up-and-up and have a lot of good players."

Pitching matchup

FLA: RHP Byung-Hyun Kim (1-2, 10.50 ERA)

Acquired on Sunday from Colorado, Kim is slated to make his first start as a Marlin in Florida's first game of Interleague action this season. Initially, Wes Obermueller was in line to start, but the right-hander now will move into the bullpen to pitch long relief. Kim spent time on the disabled list with Colorado, and he appeared in five rehab assignment games for Triple-A Colorado Springs, going 1-1 with a 2.96 ERA.

TB: RHP Edwin Jackson (0-5, 6.82 ERA)

Jackson is still searching for his first win of the season, but despite his poor record, the righty has been pitching well as of late. In his last start against the Blue Jays, Jackson allowed four runs on six hits while striking out nine in six innings. It was the fourth time in his past five starts that Jackson has managed to pitch at least six innings in a game. The 23-year-old is 0-1 with a 7.94 ERA in two career appearances versus the Marlins.

Complete coverage >

Player to watch

Tampa Bay outfielder Carl Crawford is a .301 career hitter in Interleague games. He has four home runs and 21 RBIs.

Marlins Interleague facts:

All-time record: 96-72 (third-best MLB record)

Winning percentage: .751 (tops among NL teams)

Road record: 41-41

2006 record: 9-9 (3-6 road)

Marlins DH averages: .227 (73-for-322)

Games: Mike Lowell, 115

Batting average: Luis Castillo, .319

Home runs: Mike Lowell, 23

Pitching wins: A.J. Burnett, 8

Saves: Antonio Alfonseca, 13

Strikeouts: A.J. Burnett, 102

On the Internet

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

? Gameday

? Official game notes

On television

? FSN Florida

On radio

? 560 WQAM, 1140 AM WQBA (Espa?ol)

Up next

? Saturday: Marlins (LHP Dontrelle Willis, 5-3, 5.14) at Devil Rays (RHP Jae Seo, 2-3, 7.26), 7:10 p.m. ET

? Sunday: Marlins (RHP Sergio Mitre, 1-2, 2.18) at Devil Rays (RHP James Shields, 3-0, 3.13), 1:40 p.m. ET

? Monday: Off-day

? Tuesday: Phillies (LHP Cole Hamels, 6-1, 3.30) at Marlins (LHP Scott Olsen, 3-3, 4.80), 7:05 p.m. ET

The game will be broadcast across the state on FSN Florida, however those who usually recieve the Tampa Bay feed will get Tampa's broadcast!

GO FISH!!!

TB's offense is overrated, they were last place in runs last year and currently 13th this year (Which is mostly from beating up a bad Texas pitching staff in the past series, they were lower before the series). The Rays have yet to win a game Jackson has pitched in...so I'm feeling pretty good.

TB's offense is overrated, they were last place in runs last year and currently 13th this year (Which is mostly from beating up a bad Texas pitching staff in the past series, they were lower before the series). The Rays have yet to win a game Jackson has pitched in...so I'm feeling pretty good.

Crap, thats not good. :nailbite