Mitre pitching tonight

Bucklin12

I hope Mitre pitches well his entire career, and he's looked good in the last few games, but he's as much our ace as Vargas was our ace for awhile last year. Dontrelle is our ace.

I dont have any idea how you can compare Mitre to Vargas.

Vargas pitched well his first season with a flat fastball and a good changeup...once the report came out he got ripped.

Mitre has been in the league for a long time and everyone knows that he is going to pump you with that sinker. That is the one pitch that you can't really prepare for because its not liek everyone could throw it. Now add that with the slider that he's developing and I think we just may have ourselves a top notch pitcher.

I hope Mitre pitches well his entire career, and he's looked good in the last few games, but he's as much our ace as Vargas was our ace for awhile last year. Dontrelle is our ace.

Vargas pitched well his first season with a flat fastball and a good changeup...once the report came out he got ripped.

Mitre has been in the league for a long time and everyone knows that he is going to pump you with that sinker. That is the one pitch that you can't really prepare for because its not liek everyone could throw it. Now add that with the slider that he's developing and I think we just may have ourselves a top notch pitcher.

I absolutely agree that Mitre looks much beter than Vargas did. I was more reminding all that for awhile in 2005 he was considered by many here our best pitcher. And I was using the experience learned from this to point out how ludicrous it is to say that Mitre's the team's ace. He's not. Dontrelle is. I hope Mitre's success continues and maybe one day he will be the ace.

I'd hardly say Mitre's been around a "long time."

And, just to throw rain on the parade, Mitre still allows a ton of runs, they just happened to be unearned...so don't let that ERA fool you.

Is he an effective pitcher right now? Sure, but he's the farthest thing in the world, at least in his current form, from being a top notch pitcher.

I absolutely agree that Mitre looks much beter than Vargas did. I was more reminding all that for awhile in 2005 he was considered by many here our best pitcher. And I was using the experience learned from this to point out how ludicrous it is to say that Mitre's the team's ace. He's not. Dontrelle is. I hope Mitre's success continues and maybe one day he will be the ace.

O ok

But at this moment Mitre has been by far our best pitcher...I'm not saying that he's our ACE because Willis is the face of the franchise but right now but Mitre has outshined him.

And, just to throw rain on the parade, Mitre still allows a ton of runs, they just happened to be unearned...so don't let that ERA fool you.

Is he an effective pitcher right now? Sure, but he's the farthest thing in the world, at least in his current form, from being a top notch pitcher.

There is a reason that the runs are classified as unearned. Tell Cabrera/Ramirez not to have mental lapses and we won't have any problems with that. I also don't recall him giving up a 'ton' of runs in any of his recent starts

haha, yeah. i think every batter Vargas retired in 05 was with a high changeup.

What I was referring to in terms of pitching a long time was just comparing him to Vargas. Just saying that you cant compare the 2.

Yea they happen to be unearned because we have the worst defense in the league...the pitcher can't do anything about that.

And why do you say he is so far away from a top notch pitcher? His fastball is comparable to Lowe and Webb and the slider and changeup have been good pitches.

Oh and if you want to use your other criteria...He has a 1.10 whip with a .235 BAA.

Since I guess it's no longer en vogue to trash Mitre around here, I'll leave you with one thought.

Mitre's not a work-horse. He doesn't have a complete game this season, has gone past 7 innings only twice.

In one more star than Anibal Sanchez, Mitre has allowed one more run, yet his ERA is half of Sanchez. There are plenty of runs being scored off him.

Since I guess it's no longer en vogue to trash Mitre around here, I'll leave you with one thought.

Mitre's not a work-horse. He doesn't have a complete game this season, has gone past 7 innings only twice.

In one more star than Anibal Sanchez, Mitre has allowed one more run, yet his ERA is half of Sanchez. There are plenty of runs being scored off him.

Maybe that is because he is a groundball pitcher and we have a third baseman and shortstop who make a lot of mental errors during games on defense.

Anibal is a flyball pitcher, he is going to give up more earned runs because of that. They are called unearned runs because the other team does not earn them off of the pitcher.

Ive always defended mitre around here. Sinker ball pitchers are always a plus, true he will get killed sometimes if he comes out and the sinker isnt working. However, you can't say a pitcher is bad or not as good as his stats indicate b/c of unearned runs. In fact the first game mitre pitched this year against philly. 3 of the runs scored came in innings where the inning would have been over had it not been for an error or a misplayed ball even if it wasnt an error on the board. Mitre isn't an ace, but he can be a solid #2 or #3.

It has already been covered pretty well in this thread, but it is very true about the unearned runs vs. Earned runs. A sinker ball pitcher with a poor infield defense is not a good combo.

It is not his fault in any way at all that he has given up an above average amount of unearned runs. I'm surprised you would even bring something like that up Tswift. You should know better than that.

When you think about it, who on this staff is a work horse? Maybe Johnson. He's about it. And for the record, I'm not sold on Mitre at all. Three good games mean nothing to me considering his history.

When you think about it, who on this staff is a work horse? Maybe Johnson. He's about it. And for the record, I'm not sold on Mitre at all. Three good games mean nothing to me considering his history.

This is the first time Mitre has been allowed to have any kind of consistency in a starting role. Last year he got hurt after two starts and in the cubs he spot started. So really there is no history to look at in assessing his role as a starter. Raw numbers don't tell the whole story, some guys aren't good without consistency, some guys aren't good out of the bullpen, its thew nature of different guys and the game in general

It has been said, but using his runs allowed as such a main argument for why he is not as good as he seems is pretty ridiculous when he has given up a very large amount of unearned runs. Itd be nice if he could bail his teammates out more often when they make errors, but it isnt that easy. How about his teammates bail him out and play average defense? How many outs do you want Mitre to get an inning? Of course you can make any statistic work in your favor and you know that and Im sure youve called people out for doing it before, but you are doing just that here. If DTrain had a low ERA and was getting killed by his defense everybody would be apologizing for DTrain. Last year DTrain actually was killed by his defense and it hurt his ERA because it was often just ridiculous mistakes like pop ups that wouldnt even touch Uggla's glove or other errors that are not considered errors and it killed his ERA. Many people noticed this and it was tough that those hurt DTrain just as it shouldnt be held against Mitre.

And as you know, we havent been throwing complete games very often this season (0), so I wouldnt only use that against Mitre if you want to toss that into the argument. The good news is, so far, he is throwing the least amount of pitches per inning so he doesnt need to be too much of a workhorse and he is giving up less free passes per 9 than anybody else on the team

DTrain is a workhorse. That's not even debatable. A guy like Johnson who hasn't pitched a full season and is on the DL his 2nd season is not a workhorse.