Current lineup

Am I alone on this board in not being impressed with Maybin? He looks like a AAAA player to me, with a Juan Encarnacion upside. Miller and de la Cruz are the only guys that get my interest here.

Yes. A 20 year old first round pick who moves from rookie ball to the majors in one year is a AAAA guy.

Am I alone on this board in not being impressed with Maybin? He looks like a AAAA player to me, with a Juan Encarnacion upside. Miller and de la Cruz are the only guys that get my interest here.

AAAA player?

Seriously?

He's young, so its hard to know how he'll develop, but he has a huge swing and a nose-to-toes strike zone. I don't think he is the kind of talent that Howie Kendrick represented, and that deal would have left us with Willis to deal separately.

Maybin is also the same kind of frustrating player that some scouts and GMs seem to love because of 'tools' and keep trying to work into the lineup despite performance. The fact that the Tigers ran him up to the ML level too soon is not a recommendation of the player.

AAAA player?

Seriously?

He's young, so its hard to know how he'll develop, but he has a huge swing and a nose-to-toes strike zone. I don't think he is the kind of talent that Howie Kendrick represented, and that deal would have left us with Willis to deal separately.

Maybin is also the same kind of frustrating player that some scouts and GMs seem to love because of 'tools' and keep trying to work into the lineup despite performance. The fact that the Tigers ran him up to the ML level too soon is not a recommendation of the player.

Yes, it is. They felt he was ML ready AS A 20 YEAR OLD!

Maybin reminds me of Hanley Ramirez x2.

Good contact, decent amout of power for a young prospect and great speed.

Dosen't sound too bad to me.

Just call them the new Juan Pierre and Luis Castillo.

You had me until that last line. Maybin actually is very similar to Hanley, great athletes amazing athletes who can seemingly do it all and easily. They are the new breed of baseball player and will be very exciting to watch.

AAAA player?

Seriously?

Dude walked at 13.4% clip in the minors....

AAAA player?

Seriously?

Maybe not for next year, but long-term he is a good deal better as a prospect than Kendrick. That's not to say that he might not live up to all the extraordinary hype, but if he does turn out to be a bust, it would mean a lot of smart baseball people were very, very wrong. We were not going to get a great player who was already an established big leaguer in return for Miggy (that includes Kendrick even though he has a very nice MLB season under his belt). We were only going potential in return and, of course, there are no sure things. But as far as potential goes, this is about as good as it gets in baseball right now. Same goes for Miller.

AAAA player?

Seriously?

These kind of snap judgements are the unfortunate, but inevitable, after-effects of the failed Reggie Abercrombie Experiment.

With alot more power.

This kind of talk bothers me as well. I am also wary of next year about hearing that Maybin is 'disappointing' because he isn't Hanley #2, despite his being successful (potentially). Hanley was 2 years older, and had already put up MLEs worth looking at and has the potential to be the best player in the game.

I don't think Maybin is remotely ready, I think that he will be thrown into the breach regardless.

With alot more power.

This kind of talk bothers me as well. I am also wary of next year about hearing that Maybin is 'disappointing' because he isn't Hanley #2, despite his being successful (potentially). Hanley was 2 years older, and had already put up MLEs worth looking at and has the potential to be the best player in the game.

I don't think Maybin is remotely ready, I think that he will be thrown into the breach regardless.

You mean the same Hanley Ramirez of the .782 career MiLB OPS who was coming off of a .720 OPS in AA, including a robust Juan Pierre-esque .385 slugging. You mean that Hanley? He was the one who put up MLEs worth looking at?

Meanwhile, as a 20 year old who moved all the way through the system in 2 years and put up an .884 OPS in 700 MiLB AB. Yeah, good call.

Maybin's got stud written all over him. He might not be ready today, but he'll be a significant upgrade over whoever else we could've had.

With alot more power.

That's the scary thing about Maybin, he really is not ready for the bigs. Dude was just drafted out of High School two and a half years ago! He was regarded as the third most talented player behind Justin Upton and Alex Gordon, but also was considered somewhat of a project. The Tools were all there, but scouts thought it would take a lot of time to develop into actual results...the fact that he is this far ahead of schedule and putting up great numbers in the minors is nothing short of amazing.

If the Tigers would have just left him alone in AA to put up his 1000+ OPS as a 20 year old center fielder with a cannon for an arm, he would be regarded as the number 1 overall prospect in baseball (he is right up there with Justin Upton). Player is an absolute stud.

Did you just invent a stat? The BB/PA%?

His 2006 MLE OPS was .600, I can't find a 2007 figure yet, but looking at what he did and where he played it would likely be about .725.

As for comparison to Reggie, Maybin may actually put something together, he is young and he will at least catch balls.

With alot more power.

You mean the same Hanley Ramirez of the .782 career MiLB OPS who was coming off of a .720 OPS in AA, including a robust Juan Pierre-esque .385 slugging. You mean that Hanley? He was the one who put up MLEs worth looking at?

Meanwhile, as a 20 year old who moved all the way through the system in 2 years and put up an .884 OPS in 700 MiLB AB. Yeah, good call.

I think his point is valid and all he was trying to say was that some fans might be (ignorantly so) disappointed when rookie Maybin doesn't put up rookie Hanley type of numbers right away.

With alot more power.

I think his point is valid and all he was trying to say was that some fans might be (ignorantly so) disappointed when rookie Maybin doesn't put up rookie Hanley type of numbers right away.

His point was also that Hanley had put up minor league numbers that were impressive, something Maybin hasn't. He also said Maybin is a AAAA player. He is wrong.

With alot more power.

His point was also that Hanley had put up minor league numbers that were impressive, something Maybin hasn't. He also said Maybin is a AAAA player. He is wrong.

Yea nevermind my defense of him if that is the same guy that called Maybin a AAAA player.

Impressive? No. Worthy of moving up the line, yes. MLEs are not raw looks at numbers, and are often not representative of what the player will do at the ML level, look at Uggla for example, another player I was skeptical about. Funny thing with Uggla is that all of the problems I anticipated him having are all problems that he has, but he produces despite them. Maybin certainly has that potential, but breaking the mold should not be expected.

Maybin is a pure athlete, and that cannot be learned. He has an upside, but he is not ready, and will be put in the lineup regardless. He is also the kind of player that everyone will just expect to be the greatest thing since canned beer and will keep getting chances despite not being a MLB-caliber player. He looks like a ballplayer, he runs like a ballplayer, and when he gets the barrel on the ball he knocks the sh*t out of it. He is the kind of body (think Juan Encarnacion vs. Kevin Millar) that will get playing time over a superior hitter because of looks / "tools".

Impressive? No. Worthy of moving up the line, yes. MLEs are not raw looks at numbers, and are often not representative of what the player will do at the ML level, look at Uggla for example, another player I was skeptical about. Funny thing with Uggla is that all of the problems I anticipated him having are all problems that he has, but he produces despite them. Maybin certainly has that potential, but breaking the mold should not be expected.

Maybin is a pure athlete, and that cannot be learned. He has an upside, but he is not ready, and will be put in the lineup regardless. He is also the kind of player that everyone will just expect to be the greatest thing since canned beer and will keep getting chances despite not being a MLB-caliber player. He looks like a ballplayer, he runs like a ballplayer, and when he gets the barrel on the ball he knocks the sh*t out of it. He is the kind of body (think Juan Encarnacion vs. Kevin Millar) that will get playing time over a superior hitter because of looks / "tools".

Except he has produced! Encarnacion had a career MiLB OPS of 778, fairly close to his career average of .758. Not a good comparison, since Maybin's outproduced him in the minors by about 170 points.

What were Hanley's MLEs in the minors, if anyone has them?

Did you just invent a stat? The BB/PA%?

His 2006 MLE OPS was .600, I can't find a 2007 figure yet, but looking at what he did and where he played it would likely be about .725.

As for comparison to Reggie, Maybin may actually put something together, he is young and he will at least catch balls.

No I didn't invent a stat, it's been around for a long time, and yes it's BB/PA.

Also Maybin was in A ball in 2006. It's kind of hard to have a large MLE when you're in A ball.

Except he has produced!

Just put the Millar (sent to Boston for a bucket of warm spit) numbers at ages 27-31 side by side, and tell me why we kept Encarnacion?

I want to be wrong about Maybin. I hope to be wrong about Maybin. But I am skeptical about that very kind of player where the descriptions of his positives are abstract emotional phrases and his flaws are measurable and manifest.