Scott Rolen.

Does anyone know if it's true. Are we eyeing Scott Rolen? Can someone come forward with some facts to this, cause it's becoming annoying. Do we even want him? Cause I'd personally want us to acquire an Andy Marte to man the position and mold with the younger group. Scott Rolen is just a has been who is going to eat payroll and be injured often. If he is back to his old form I'd welcome him with open arms, but why do we need an injury proned player?

Does anyone know if it's true. Are we eyeing Scott Rolen? Can someone come forward with some facts to this, cause it's becoming annoying. Do we even want him? Cause I'd personally want us to acquire an Andy Marte to man the position and mold with the younger group. Scott Rolen is just a has been who is going to eat payroll and be injured often. If he is back to his old form I'd welcome him with open arms, but why do we need an injury proned player?

Go back about 5 years and you would be reading the exact same thing about Pudge.

I would love to have Rolen here, but not his contract.

Edit: I checked sportsline, and the rumor is legit, but I don't see it happening. it also mentions Helms, Nunez.

If we get a stadium announcement soon, I think the Marlins could make a run at Rolen. I read somewhere that Loria would raise the payroll as soon as a stadium agreement is in place. With a stadium deal hopefully around the corner, the fish might be holding off on filling third base until then. If the deal falls through, I would then expect a Marte or Teahan type trade. This is all of course speculation on my part.

I thought Sampson said they would have made the Cabrera deal even if a stadium deal was in place? I think they will only raise payroll after the stadium opens.....

as for Rolen if he stays healthy and the Cards eat most of the contract, he would still be an upgrade over Boone...

He hasn't been particularly good 2 of the last 3 years and he's injury prone.

I don't think he's enough to make us a playoff team with all the pitching question marks we've got. So why go after him?

I feel like I'm being unfortunately negative here, but how can we even be talking about playoffs at this point?

You're right, we agree. The playoffs are out of reach so we shouldn't go after anybody that's not dirt cheap and young (only exception to the young part being players to fill out the roster).

What make Rolen so unappealing is his price tag.

Were he a million dollar player you have to take a shot he can come back but that's not the case. He and LaRussa don't get along but from what I've read he's been pretty gentlemanly about it.

Personally I wonder if Shea Hillenbrand is done. But he's by every report a Grade A jerk.

Were he a million dollar player you have to take a shot he can come back but that's not the case. He and LaRussa don't get along but from what I've read he's been pretty gentlemanly about it.

Personally I wonder if Shea Hillenbrand is done. But he's by every report a Grade A jerk.

So is A-Rod, and look what he's done.

Also, wasn't Shea Hillenbrand the only player to play in both the Little League World Series, and the College World Series? Where I know this from, I don't know.

Also, wasn't Shea Hillenbrand the only player to play in both the Little League World Series, and the College World Series? Where I know this from, I don't know.

A-Rod is the farthest thing from a jerk... That's just the NY press at its best. Picture Maris in 61*, and that's the way they treat him.

A-Rod is the farthest thing from a jerk... That's just the NY press at its best. Picture Maris in 61*, and that's the way they treat him.

Your exactly right, AROD is a class act. He is a great person. I know by experience.

Your exactly right, AROD is a class act. He is a great person. I know by experience.

As do I... I've met him, and he was a great guy. Very down to earth, extremely professional.

The first time I met Alex was when he was soon to graduate from HS. Quiet kid yet to sign his first million dollar contract. In many ways he is still same quiet, shy kid. I feel that is why New York is so cruel to him. Alex is just not a flashy guy. What is flashy is his play. In New York that is just not enough, i wish he was home playing in marlin teal. He would be so awesome for us and we would be so awesome for him...Best baseball player of this era!