December 19, 200718 yr So now the articles are starting to pour in.... Miami-Dade OK's downtown mega deal http://www.miamiherald.com/459/story/349542.html Global finance plan passes, boosts Marlins' stadium chances http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/conten...218marlins.html Baseball-Marlins move closer to new park and new name http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldFootbal...B32392020071219 Marlins inching closer toward stadium http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=fla County Commissioners Approve Miami Master Plan http://www.nbc6.net/news/14885007/detail.html County officials approve plan that includes Marlins stadium http://www.the-dispatch.com/article/200712...amp;cachetime=5 County Approves Downtown Miami, Stadium Plans http://cbs4.com/local/miami.dade.county.2.613380.html
December 19, 200718 yr Cape's blog was linked by a very renown public-financing opponent. http://fieldofschemes.com/
December 19, 200718 yr Cape's blog was/is a great source of information for this not only when it was going down but before then for people like myself who weren't following it every step of the way. I also liked reading his live blogging so I didn't have to sift through all the noise of the thread. Well done Cape.
December 19, 200718 yr Cape's blog was/is a great source of information for this not only when it was going down but before then for people like myself who weren't following it every step of the way. I also liked reading his live blogging so I didn't have to sift through all the noise of the thread. Well done Cape. The blog shattered the single-day hits record by almost 3K. Blog is going to take off when we start covering the demolition of the OB and construction of the new park.
December 19, 200718 yr very good blog cape that be cool if someone can take pic as orange bowl come down that be sad day
December 19, 200718 yr Cape's blog was/is a great source of information for this not only when it was going down but before then for people like myself who weren't following it every step of the way. I also liked reading his live blogging so I didn't have to sift through all the noise of the thread. Well done Cape. The blog shattered the single-day hits record by almost 3K. Blog is going to take off when we start covering the demolition of the OB and construction of the new park. While I don't expect it, anything remotely close to this guy's site for the Nationals' stadium would be awesome: http://www.jdland.com/dc/stadium.cfm The guy has been really dedicated and has been updating since they started the site selection.
December 19, 200718 yr Really, really good work on the blog, and the whole site has always been a concise, good journalistic effort. Thank you Cape, and you too Festa, who I think is involved in the site. Good luck in the future. Just remember us little people when you climb that ladder:)
December 19, 200718 yr I don't like this from FieldofSchemes... What happens next is slightly unclear: There doesn't appear to be a lease agreed on, for one thing, and while Miami Herald adds that the two commissions still must approve the stadium project in further votes, and that "some of those votes could happen later Tuesday, some not for years." Marlins execs have talked about opening a new stadium by 2010, which would seem to require that the team put shovels in the ground, like, yesterday. More news as it develops, but clearly this is the closest that Jeffrey Loria and David Samson's stadium quest has come to fruition in their many years of trying. YEARS?
December 19, 200718 yr Thanks to all. I've been running the blog since 2004 in its current form and Festa has been with me for a few years now. I'm glad you all enjoyed it and I am hoping to be able to include more things from you all in the new year including pictures, comments, questions, and polls.
December 19, 200718 yr I don't like this from FieldofSchemes... What happens next is slightly unclear: There doesn't appear to be a lease agreed on, for one thing, and while Miami Herald adds that the two commissions still must approve the stadium project in further votes, and that "some of those votes could happen later Tuesday, some not for years." Marlins execs have talked about opening a new stadium by 2010, which would seem to require that the team put shovels in the ground, like, yesterday. More news as it develops, but clearly this is the closest that Jeffrey Loria and David Samson's stadium quest has come to fruition in their many years of trying. YEARS? Those are concerning the museums and port tunnel. Use your heads MB.com!
December 19, 200718 yr To Flamarlins3 comment...none. I'm not THAT old ! lol As for the published versions of events yesterday it's interesting to read the number of factual errors in the stories. The worst was CBS4 (are we surprised?) that had $2 billion in CRA money collected, and then stating over $500 million of that would be spent on a new stadium and even worse (from a reporting standpoint) that $900 milion would be spent on the new port tunnel(the real number is $80 million, the remainder coming from the state and feds). Reuters referred to the the new "downtown stadium". in an other the new parking garage is referred to as a "parking lot". The thing that bothers me about this and why so often I comment on this horrendous reporting is that it is now part of the internet, there for anyone to see and to be quoted as fact for years to come.
December 19, 200718 yr I don't like this from FieldofSchemes... What happens next is slightly unclear: There doesn't appear to be a lease agreed on, for one thing, and while Miami Herald adds that the two commissions still must approve the stadium project in further votes, and that "some of those votes could happen later Tuesday, some not for years." Marlins execs have talked about opening a new stadium by 2010, which would seem to require that the team put shovels in the ground, like, yesterday. More news as it develops, but clearly this is the closest that Jeffrey Loria and David Samson's stadium quest has come to fruition in their many years of trying. YEARS? FOS is trying its best to twist the story. :mischief
December 19, 200718 yr Thanks to all. I've been running the blog since 2004 in its current form and Festa has been with me for a few years now. I'm glad you all enjoyed it and I am hoping to be able to include more things from you all in the new year including pictures, comments, questions, and polls. i cant wait for your coverage of the press conference!
December 19, 200718 yr To Flamarlins3 comment...none. I'm not THAT old ! lol As for the published versions of events yesterday it's interesting to read the number of factual errors in the stories. The worst was CBS4 (are we surprised?) that had $2 billion in CRA money collected, and then stating over $500 million of that would be spent on a new stadium and even worse (from a reporting standpoint) that $900 milion would be spent on the new port tunnel(the real number is $80 million, the remainder coming from the state and feds). Reuters referred to the the new "downtown stadium". in an other the new parking garage is referred to as a "parking lot". The thing that bothers me about this and why so often I comment on this horrendous reporting is that it is now part of the internet, there for anyone to see and to be quoted as fact for years to come. I noticed that yesterday when I watched the news. I think they're often looking to create controversy no matter what the facts say.
December 19, 200718 yr To Flamarlins3 comment...none. I'm not THAT old ! lol As for the published versions of events yesterday it's interesting to read the number of factual errors in the stories. The worst was CBS4 (are we surprised?) that had $2 billion in CRA money collected, and then stating over $500 million of that would be spent on a new stadium and even worse (from a reporting standpoint) that $900 milion would be spent on the new port tunnel(the real number is $80 million, the remainder coming from the state and feds). Reuters referred to the the new "downtown stadium". in an other the new parking garage is referred to as a "parking lot". The thing that bothers me about this and why so often I comment on this horrendous reporting is that it is now part of the internet, there for anyone to see and to be quoted as fact for years to come. I noticed that yesterday when I watched the news. I think they're often looking to create controversy no matter what the facts say. My personal favorite of the media reporting this story incorrectly is from SI.com... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/base...ns.ballpark.ap/ The headline claims that the deal still needs to be approved by the Florida Legislature...which is blatently false. The deal includes no state money. All the article says is that the team has failed to receive state money in the past.
December 19, 200718 yr And that's an AP story, too. Someone needs to correct them. I cannot believe some people would publish a story without checking all their facts and making sure they made no mistakes. That's such a blatant mistake, too, it's not even about the details.
December 19, 200718 yr And that's an AP story, too. Someone needs to correct them. I cannot believe some people would publish a story without checking all their facts and making sure they made no mistakes. That's such a blatant mistake, too, it's not even about the details. I've already notified CNN of their error.
December 19, 200718 yr To Flamarlins3 comment...none. I'm not THAT old ! lol As for the published versions of events yesterday it's interesting to read the number of factual errors in the stories. The worst was CBS4 (are we surprised?) that had $2 billion in CRA money collected, and then stating over $500 million of that would be spent on a new stadium and even worse (from a reporting standpoint) that $900 milion would be spent on the new port tunnel(the real number is $80 million, the remainder coming from the state and feds). Reuters referred to the the new "downtown stadium". in an other the new parking garage is referred to as a "parking lot". The thing that bothers me about this and why so often I comment on this horrendous reporting is that it is now part of the internet, there for anyone to see and to be quoted as fact for years to come. I noticed that yesterday when I watched the news. I think they're often looking to create controversy no matter what the facts say. The western media is trying to create controversy, I am shocked. :o :|
December 19, 200718 yr As I've said 5 million times before, you dont know how bad I want to see new drawings of the ballpark plan.
December 19, 200718 yr Wait a sec.......is this a done deal? Stadium on orange bowl site for sure, 100%? No more steps? It's over, we've finally got it?
December 19, 200718 yr Wait a sec.......is this a done deal? Stadium on orange bowl site for sure, 100%? No more steps? It's over, we've finally got it? No, nothing is a done deal.
December 19, 200718 yr Wait a sec.......is this a done deal? Stadium on orange bowl site for sure, 100%? No more steps? It's over, we've finally got it? All sides should have signed the agreement by the end of the week. Tomorrow is the day the Commission should give their formal permission to the Mayor to enter into the agreement. The funding was decided yesterday with the City's package passing through the County Commission.
December 19, 200718 yr When's the day that they hammer out all those pesky details, like: 1. Who's going to get the naming right revenue? Or will it be split to some degree? And will it continue forever with whatever percentage they come up with, seeing as the city or county are the owners of the stadium. 2. Same question regarding concession revenue stream. 3. Same question concerning parking revenue stream 4. Have they agreed on setting or not setting a payroll minimum, and if so, what's the minimum, and for how long? I could go on with more, but you get the point.
December 19, 200718 yr My hunch is they've already settled those issues. Part of the parking money has to go to repaying the bonds.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.