January 5, 200818 yr this guy has some strong pull, I'd be a little worry here http://www.miamiherald.com/459/story/367870.html Luxury auto dealer Norman Braman's blitz against a $525 million Florida Marlins ballpark and billions of dollars of downtown projects hits the airwaves next week -- just before a crucial county commission vote on the stadium financing. ''Here they go again,'' the narrator intones in the first radio ad set to air Monday. ``The downtown development deal is a downtown double-cross.'' Braman said Friday that a political action committee he created has purchased 175 spots on English and Spanish stations in advance of the county commission vote Thursday. If commissioners approve the financing -- spread out among the county ($249 million), Marlins ($155 million) and city ($121 million) -- the stadium is very likely a go. Braman is trying to stoke opposition to stop it. The Marlins' portion would come up front, while the county's contribution would come largely from a professional sports franchise tax and the city's largely from tourist development taxes. The first ad, set to run Monday only, focuses on the ballpark and attacks city and county leaders for ``back-door deals with rich businesses.'' ''Dolphin Stadium was built without taxpayer dollars,'' the ad says. ``The Marlins should do the same. These property taxes were intended for the poor. The Marlins are not poor.'' The second ad, set to run Tuesday and Wednesday, attacks a $914 million Port of Miami tunnel and a proposed $200 million streetcar. It hits on familiar anti-corruption and anti-waste themes that have proved effective in past anti-tax campaigns Braman led. Braman declined to say how much the PAC -- People Who Demand Honest Government Inc. -- is spending, though the figure will later be disclosed under law. ''I'm willing to spend whatever it takes,'' Braman said. Last month, county commissioners voted 9-4 in favor of the massive agreement with the city to finance billions in new downtown spending that would also help build the stadium. Thursday's stadium financing vote will include a detailed contract that, among other items, makes cost overruns the team's responsibility. The final details may not be available until just before the vote. ''We've got to wait and see what the product is,'' Commission Chairman Bruno Barreiro said, but added: ``A lot of us are inclined to support a stadium, looking at the previous votes.'' County Mayor Carlos Alvarez and Marlins spokesman P.J. Loyello declined to comment on the attack ads or the upcoming vote. Braman has a reputation for digging into his own pockets to battle tax increases and fight government waste. The former owner of the Philadelphia Eagles ponied up $250,000 for the Carnival Center for the Performing Arts that is now part of the redevelopment deal. In 1982, he spent at least $125,000 to help defeat a city of Miami sales tax proposal that would have paid for Orange Bowl renovations to keep the Dolphins there. And in 1999, Braman cut short a summer vacation to take on then-County Mayor Alex Penelas and his campaign to raise the sales tax by 1 percent for transportation. Braman and the opponents prevailed by a 2-to-1 margin. Braman said he has been asked by Miami Mayor Manny Diaz and others to reconsider his opposition. ''I still consider him a friend and a supporter,'' Diaz said. ``Obviously, we disagree on this one. I told him that the entire package will create a lot of resources that are beneficial to the entire community, that do get rid of a lot of slum and blight.'' Braman isn't likely to change his mind: ``I've gotten my share of phone calls from the interested parties, asking me to back down. But it's like the last time: The more calls I get, the more resolved I am to stick with it.''
January 5, 200818 yr Whatever...I would hope that just because this one car salesman, no matter how powerful or well connected, doesn't approve of these projects, that would be enough to kill the deal, which has already been voted on and approved by the city and county. Sounds like the Mayor and others are still behind the stadium plan. At this point, isn't this deal basically up to the Marlins and City and County commissioners anyway? The city and county both seem to support the stadium based on all previous votes. If this had to go up before a public vote, this type of negative campaigning would seem to be more of a concern. I could be wrong, but I guess we'll find out by Thursday.
January 5, 200818 yr Who the hell is this guy? I've never heard of him.. and where do I find him to kick his ass ?!?!??
January 5, 200818 yr The way it appears in the article, it looks like next week IS, indeed, the moment of truth (well, at least the 10th or 11th time ), vis-a-vis, the fate of the Marlins stadium.
January 5, 200818 yr this guy has some strong pull, I'd be a little worry here Unfortunately, I agree. :mad
January 5, 200818 yr booooo.....This man f***ed over the Eagles.....now he's tryin to do it again to the Marlins.
January 5, 200818 yr Braman's problem is the projects are well known and there has not been a huge public outcry. Second he doesnt have the time to create a huge public out cry considering the vote is in 5 days. Maybe someone on this board would know better than me but unless he has brought and paid for several commissioners I dont see how he is going to squash this ...unless the vote is delayed
January 5, 200818 yr Ive never heard of him and I hope he experiences heavy rectal bleeding for about 4 weeks.
January 5, 200818 yr well, I'll boycott Braman Handa as well, but I already have a car, so I'm not going there. This guy sounds sick and I guess he is drinking the Loria Kool-Aid. Come on, this development plan (going beyond the Marlins stadium) makes Miami the city it should be!!
January 5, 200818 yr This guy sounds sick and I guess he is drinking the Loria Kool-Aid. So this is one of those "Loria doesn't want the stadium" posts, right? Dumb.
January 5, 200818 yr This guy sounds sick and I guess he is drinking the Loria Kool-Aid. So this is one of those "Loria doesn't want the stadium" posts, right? Dumb. er...the MONTREAL Loria kool-aid FIXED!
January 5, 200818 yr hes just one of those greedy rich people who cant stand paying a cent in taxes. it means nothing, just some idiot with an opinion. its too far along now.
January 6, 200818 yr I know for a fact that a certain minority owner of the panthers who also owns an Advertising agency in Fort Lauderdale is also backing this. In fact his agency is producing and traffiking the spots AND they used to represent the Marlins a few years ago... hmmmmm. Strange thing is the the Panthers hockey arena was built with bed taxes, I guess they (the panthers ownership - including the man in question as well as Mike Maroone and others) have no problem benefiting from taxes being spent on sports teams when it involves their own. Perhaps they have a bigger beef with things like the street car (more mass transit = less people buying cars from their dealerships). I love it when rich people pretend to feel like the they care about poor people, I'd say they could all take lessons from the late Jim Moran. I guess we can rule out Braman from the long list of advertisers being plastered all over the new stadium... thats a shame, given their locations.
January 6, 200818 yr I wonder what this guy's motivation is here. He must be upset he is being left out somehow because I fail to see how this concerns him...especially the Marlins stadium portion of this deal. The stadium is something that both the city and county want to see happen. It will be a boost to the OB site and the surrounding neighborhoods. In fact, the majority of the citizens around the OB seem to be very supportive. This guy is a car salesman. He'd screw anyone over to make a good deal selling a car. All of a sudden we are supposed to think he is so concerned about the poor? This guy is likely worth billions. The money he is spending on this ad campaign could help a lot of people. I suppose he'd rather spend his millions trying to spreading his political agenda then donating that money to the hungry.
January 6, 200818 yr If Bramen doesn't want taxpayer funding for a baseball stadum, then let him pay for it himself! If not shut the f*** up worthless bag of wind
January 6, 200818 yr well, I'll boycott Braman Handa as well, but I already have a car, so I'm not going there. This guy sounds sick and I guess he is drinking the Loria Kool-Aid. Come on, this development plan (going beyond the Marlins stadium) makes Miami the city it should be!! lol thats where I got my Civic from, service sucks over there anyway. Ed Morse for the win! but really though this guy is an asshat, give him rectal bleeding like TheDon said.
January 6, 200818 yr This guy does own a few dealerships here as well. He's just a very civic individual that is opinionated and has the resources to let it be known. Let him have his say. With his other community contributions and things he has done for South Florida in general, he has deserved it. To me it's just part of the democratic process. Which means I see no sense in stomping our feet and calling him all kinds of names just because his opinion is different than ours.
January 6, 200818 yr This guy does own a few dealerships here as well. He's just a very civic individual that is opinionated and has the resources to let it be known. Let him have his say. With his other community contributions and things he has done for South Florida in general, he has deserved it. To me it's just part of the democratic process. Which means I see no sense in stomping our feet and calling him all kinds of names just because his opinion is different than ours. :chair rant, stomp, scream. Fact is all the issues of money being better spent on schools, the poor, health care etc. are not new Bob. They are the same issues that can be used to scuttle anything that a city wants to do, good bad or indifferent, for the "public good". Even police protection and school improvements are met with anger because the money never benefits everyone equally. Scream and rant, why is money being spent for the south part of town, I live in the North. Why does my community only get 3 new patrolman when the guy in the adjacent community is getting 10 new police officers. This can go on and on (like me). Braman has known about the efforts for the stadium, the tunnel etc for a long time but has bided his time for now-why? They could not wait to run him out of Philly. He HAS been a mainstay in S. Florida and its philanthropic circles for many years, a big giver and a very generous giver-no doubt, yet we all know that the money for these projects are specific so what is his agenda. I know Mr. Braman and know when he is involved in something, he wants the credit. He is not one of those anonymous donors and likes to take credit even when he has minimal involvement. I do not know, but was he against the Carnival Center? We know he was against the orange bowl renovations and played a big hand in causing the city not to fix it up for Joe Robbie, which caused the city to lose the Dolphins. What does he gain by standing in the way of the things that other MAJOR cities do to look to the future and provide for modernization and improvement. We know that there will be issues with the whole project, bad planning, kickback schemes, delays, poor management-but this project being scuttled will not benefit the community-I am confident of that. Fact is, his view may be different than many of us, and because it is, we do have the right to be upset-Just as Mr. Braman would not politely step aside if someone disagrees with him in any of his business ventures. He wouldn't do it and why should anyone on this board feel obligated to be soft spoken in their disagreement with his position. OK though, name calling is not appropriate. Otherwise, hey Norman, leave us alone.
January 7, 200818 yr It is true Joe Robbie "built" the stadium with his own money, but a) it almost bankrupted the family and b) there are (I'm having a brainfreeze, I forget the number) something like $50 million in bonds underwritten by the county that went for land acquisition and improvements that are being paid off by 90% of the revenue from 81 Marlins home game club seat revenues and all the skybox revenue each year. For all intents and purposes it's a lie he built it with his own money. It sounds nice it isn't true. The second fallacy, and god how many times do I have to explain this, the bed tax, CDT and PSFT cannot be used for school books or roads or taking care of the poor, they are earmarked dollars, their purpose already approved by dade county voters. It's not the called the Professional Sports Franchise Tax for nothing.
January 7, 200818 yr It is true Joe Robbie "built" the stadium with his own money, but a) it almost bankrupted the family and b) there are (I'm having a brainfreeze, I forget the number) something like $50 million in bonds underwritten by the county that went for land acquisition and improvements that are being paid off by 90% of the revenue from 81 Marlins home game club seat revenues and all the skybox revenue each year. For all intents and purposes it's a lie he built it with his own money. It sounds nice it isn't true. The second fallacy, and god how many times do I have to explain this, the bed tax, CDT and PSFT cannot be used for school books or roads or taking care of the poor, they are earmarked dollars, their purpose already approved by dade county voters. It's not the called the Professional Sports Franchise Tax for nothing. 2003........you certainly know more about this subject than I. Help me to answer my question posed a few back. If you know. Just what can this money be used for exactly. Importantly it seems, how much is involved with the . Bed tax . CDT. . PSFT. . And any difference in where these monies are earmarked for. I'm guessing that the PSFT is earmarked 100% for sports, but what about the others?
January 7, 200818 yr I believe the tourist-related dollars, i.e. bed taxes and whatever other convention taxes have to be spent on tourism related things. For example, the two big projects that were going to get a lot of this money from the county before was going to be to help renovate the orange Bowl and to possible expand the Convention Center. All of that money is now being funneled into this massive project. I think the beef Braman has is the money that was earmarked for a downtown development district is being used for the stadium and all the other projects, that is the difference between the deal now and the deals presented in the past few years. Before the (I can't remember the exact name) Downtown Redevelopment committee people we like "we're not givng the Marlins a dime", but now suddenly they are even though the stadium isn't in the downtown redevelopment district. That I believe is where the issue is for Mr. Braman and his people. Another thing I must mention is that Miami is the only big city that I know of in this country that doesn't have a significant park of any kind in its downtown core. Atlanta has Peidmont Park, San Diego has Balboa Park, NYC has Central Park and just about every big city that I've been to in recent memory has some kind of park and Miami, being the outdoor friendly city that it is, should have a park that put all the other cities to shame.. hopefully that is something we'll see in the not to distant future.
January 7, 200818 yr Pierre, I think the sports tax has to be used for sports and I think the tourist tax or hotel tax or whatever it's called can be used for anything that's tourism related. I guess the stadium is considered to be tourism related so it can be used for it.
January 7, 200818 yr :chair rant, stomp, scream. Fact is all the issues of money being better spent on schools, the poor, health care etc. are not new Bob. They are the same issues that can be used to scuttle anything that a city wants to do, good bad or indifferent, for the "public good". Even police protection and school improvements are met with anger because the money never benefits everyone equally. Scream and rant, why is money being spent for the south part of town, I live in the North. Why does my community only get 3 new patrolman when the guy in the adjacent community is getting 10 new police officers. This can go on and on (like me). Braman has known about the efforts for the stadium, the tunnel etc for a long time but has bided his time for now-why? They could not wait to run him out of Philly. He HAS been a mainstay in S. Florida and its philanthropic circles for many years, a big giver and a very generous giver-no doubt, yet we all know that the money for these projects are specific so what is his agenda. I know Mr. Braman and know when he is involved in something, he wants the credit. He is not one of those anonymous donors and likes to take credit even when he has minimal involvement. I do not know, but was he against the Carnival Center? We know he was against the orange bowl renovations and played a big hand in causing the city not to fix it up for Joe Robbie, which caused the city to lose the Dolphins. What does he gain by standing in the way of the things that other MAJOR cities do to look to the future and provide for modernization and improvement. We know that there will be issues with the whole project, bad planning, kickback schemes, delays, poor management-but this project being scuttled will not benefit the community-I am confident of that. Fact is, his view may be different than many of us, and because it is, we do have the right to be upset-Just as Mr. Braman would not politely step aside if someone disagrees with him in any of his business ventures. He wouldn't do it and why should anyone on this board feel obligated to be soft spoken in their disagreement with his position. OK though, name calling is not appropriate. Otherwise, hey Norman, leave us alone. No doubt most everything you are saying are true and mostly I couldn't agree more. Also, the way you put your opinions accross on them is totally acceptable. My point was that his views are also totally acceptable and are no reason to start calling him all sorts of names and wishing him bodily harm just because they are diiferent than ours. It's just part of the process. Fortunetly for him he has the capital to make his opinions heard to a much larger audience than we do. I figure just let him have his little rant. We can counter it in our own ways. Sending bulk emails off to our elected officials before the meetings/votes. Phone calls to those officials. etc...etc... If we feel strongly enough about something then do something about it instead of throwing a tantrum and tossing another video game into the machine. That's all he's doing. I don't agree with him, but I don't blame him for speaking out on his opinion. It's not "leave us alone" (probably just a bad choice of words on your part) because the "we" also includes him as he is a part of the South Florida community.
January 7, 200818 yr It is true Joe Robbie "built" the stadium with his own money, but a) it almost bankrupted the family and b) there are (I'm having a brainfreeze, I forget the number) something like $50 million in bonds underwritten by the county that went for land acquisition and improvements that are being paid off by 90% of the revenue from 81 Marlins home game club seat revenues and all the skybox revenue each year. For all intents and purposes it's a lie he built it with his own money. It sounds nice it isn't true. The second fallacy, and god how many times do I have to explain this, the bed tax, CDT and PSFT cannot be used for school books or roads or taking care of the poor, they are earmarked dollars, their purpose already approved by dade county voters. It's not the called the Professional Sports Franchise Tax for nothing. 2003........you certainly know more about this subject than I. Help me to answer my question posed a few back. If you know. Just what can this money be used for exactly. Importantly it seems, how much is involved with the . Bed tax . CDT. . PSFT. . And any difference in where these monies are earmarked for. I'm guessing that the PSFT is earmarked 100% for sports, but what about the others? Another question to add to that. Couldn't those earmarked monies be used differently through a vote? Is it carved in stone they HAVE to be used for the original intended purposes? In any case... I don't think he is going to get far with his rant. We will never actually know the effect it will have. But I figure that for the most part the individuals already have their opinions made and his ads won't deter them. But just in case I would say to the Miami-Dade voters to start using the system to their advantage and start with the emails and phone calls. Let your voice be heard. It can't hurt.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.