Some News From Loria

In the Sun-Sentinel today there was an article about Loria and his old Yale professor who came down for the game.

LINK HERE

There were something that stood out to me though.

Loria finds himself drawing upon those early lessons more than ever as he increasingly turns his attention to planning every last intricacy of the Marlins' future home. He spends hours each week on the phone to Kansas City, where a team of architects at the legendary HOK firm is working steadily to prepare the first set of renderings.

They aren't expected for perhaps another year, but already certain hints are emerging.

The new park will give pitchers every chance to succeed when it opens in 2011, per the Marlins' philosophy. But considering the day job of the club owner ? international art dealer ? it has the potential to be so much more than just another brick-lined playpen for millionaires.

Loria doesn't sound interested in building yet another throwback yard.

"We're not looking at retro," he said. "We'd like to see a contemporary building ? realizing that we're in Florida."

So the first renderings aren't expected for another year? That would mean best case scenario we break ground exactly one year from now which means the park would have to be built in exactly two years or less. I don't know of many parks that were constructed in under two years, especially ones that will have a contemporary look, like it sounds ours will. The more the stadium process goes on, the less likely I think it's ready for opening day 2011.

Greetings from DC, home of America's newest baseball stadium and where I attended opening night on Sunday (and what a night it was).

First, let me note that construction on the park here did not begin until May 2006, and it was finished in time for Sunday night (albeit with a few small items left to finish). Second, I would not be surprised if there is enough of a rough plan to begin working this fall, particularly on excavation before final plans are in place. Of course, modifications can and will be made as construction progresses. At this point, I see no reason to worry about a 2011 opening day (although things can always happen). Good luck, hope you get your new digs by 2011, and I look forward to going to a game at Dolphin Stadium in 2 weeks.

Greetings from DC, home of America's newest baseball stadium and where I attended opening night on Sunday (and what a night it was).

First, let me note that construction on the park here did not begin until May 2006, and it was finished in time for Sunday night (albeit with a few small items left to finish). Second, I would not be surprised if there is enough of a rough plan to begin working this fall, particularly on excavation before final plans are in place. Of course, modifications can and will be made as construction progresses. At this point, I see no reason to worry about a 2011 opening day (although things can always happen). Good luck, hope you get your new digs by 2011, and I look forward to going to a game at Dolphin Stadium in 2 weeks.

Thanks for the news on the new Nats park. Hopefully our crew will work as expeditiously as they did. Also, they have started to demolish the Orange Bowl and the site should be read for construction pretty soon, so that's a good sign.

For once I agree to something Loria has said. Good to hear Loria is moving away fom retro looking ball parks. :thumbup

retro is good....

if you have history

Doesn't really go with the city of Miami like Loria said IMO. Only good thing about having a artsy guy as owner will be reflected on the new stadium design.

For once I agree to something Loria has said. Good to hear Loria is moving away fom retro looking ball parks. :thumbup

retro is good....

if you have history

Only good thing about having a artsy guy as owner will be reflected on the new stadium design.

You would think so, but Loria has pretty poor taste for an art dealer.

retro is good....

if you have history

Doesn't really go with the city of Miami like Loria said IMO. Only good thing about having a artsy guy as owner will be reflected on the new stadium design.

Every design Loria has been a part of has been hideous.

retro is good....

if you have history

Every design Loria has been a part of has been hideous.

i wouldnt expect you to say any less

That wasnt really the bash you think it was. Look at every design he has provided insight to since the proposed LaBatt Park in Montreal, they are all awful.

I dont think the park should be retro but it shouldnt be art deco either. It should be Florida. Palm trees, white exterior, green shading, that type of thing.

Any park would be nice, but having one thats not an eyesore would be a plus too. And I fear that is whats going to happen.

That wasnt really the bash you think it was. Look at every design he has provided insight to since the proposed LaBatt Park in Montreal, they are all awful.

I dont think the park should be retro but it shouldnt be art deco either. It should be Florida. Palm trees, white exterior, green shading, that type of thing.

Any park would be nice, but having one thats not an eyesore would be a plus too. And I fear that is whats going to happen.

fair enough...i want something to remind me its the orange bowl...........and yet minus the orange...because im in agreement with many posters on here that orange isnt our color...but something that screams that you are in miami and there is no city like it in the world

Itd probably be easier to pull that off if it was closer to downtown and/or the drink. I would say plant orange trees in the OF but thatd be a ripoff of the cherry grove in the Nat's new park.

eh...i think the palms going around it would look good...its not really a rip off, just our own version...besides...everything in sports gets ripped off from everything else

Obviously you don't know the difference between "art deco" and "contemporary". And I believe LeBatt Park was actually to be designed as a post-modern architectural structure. As for esthetics of the building was quite stunning and played nicely with and was respectful of the neighborhood. But unfortunately the minority owners made sure that would never be built when they cut off paying their share (which as we all know the court (after losing in arbitration) proclaimed for businessmen of their stature had "no one to blame" but themselves in their attempt to get back what they were never entitled to.