Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What to do with starting pitchers

Featured Replies

is bk still available?

 

 

I'd rather have John Patterson if we're gonna sign someone. :mis2

 

you have to talk to the rangers about that one...

 

 

the rangers signed him? When?? :blink:

 

According to ESPN.com it was March 24. you can look it up under transactions.

is bk still available?

 

 

I'd rather have John Patterson if we're gonna sign someone. :mis2

 

you have to talk to the rangers about that one...

 

 

the rangers signed him? When?? :blink:

 

According to ESPN.com it was March 24. you can look it up under transactions.

 

 

Awww, crap. I thought he was still available. lol, thanks, for the reality check. :banghead :thumbup

This is the first time I see Miller and so far I don't see the Big Unit comparisons. His fastball was consistently in the low low 90s. I don't recall ever seeing Big Unit throw with that velocity. On his poor command, I don't think it's that he has good command and is going through a rough stretch. If you look at his stats, he has had walk problems going back to his college days. In two college years he walked almost 5 per 9 innings. His last college year was better at 2.9 per 9 innings.

 

On RHV, some have said he has two pitches. I think he has one. On most games sooner or later he begins to struggles with his curve and then gets killed. I think he has a low 90s fastball and that's it.

 

Both should be in AA.

 

I think Woody Williams is available. If he is, go get him.

I agree for the most part on Miller and VandenHurk.

 

Rick VandenHurk: He has a good fastball and a pretty good curve. If he can improve the curve and develop a decent changeup, then he will be a good pitcher in this league. I'd much rather him develop those pitches in the minor leagues though. He is only in the starting staff due to injury.

 

Andrew Miller: He has great all around stuff but has control issues. He also will benefit from developing a good changeup but it should be in the minors as well. Again, he is only on the starting staff due to injuries.

It is also quite obvious that our offense will not be nearly as good as it was when we had Cabrera. We're going to miss him dearly, moreso than we previously thought.

I would like to see Hurk in the bullpen

 

I don't agree with putting Hurk or Miller in the pen. If these guys are our future starters then don't waste any time by them gettng used the life in the pen. Now if a couple years down the road, if they still only have two pitches and won't improve, then use their skills in the pen.

God, say what you will about how he's never said a positive thing in his entire life, GMan is entertaining. In that crazy, loose cannon way.

God, say what you will about how he's never said a positive thing in his entire life, GMan is entertaining. In that crazy, loose cannon way.

 

 

EXACTLY!

Pessimistic little bitches are very entertaining. Stop complaining people. Entertainment is good. :thumbup

The starting pitching is the worst in MLB. We're ravaged by injury, and plagued by an owner who wants to make 40 million this year instead of just 20 million. That's just not right. Not when he's feeding at the public trough for his new stadium. If he took that extra 20 million and devoted it towards signing Hanley, or kept it in reserve in case of the inevitable cost-overruns at the new stadium, then that would appease me. How many quality starts do you think we're going to get out of this rag-tag bunch of cast-offs and not ready for prime time players. I think maybe 20 at most. The only games that we're going to contend in are these 20, plus any game where our offense explodes for 7+ runs, and in particular any game that comes down to a battle of the bullpens. That's where we have an edge or are at least competitive.

I wouldn't expect more than 62 wins this year at most. Next year, when we have JJ, Olsen, Mitre, Sanchez, Nolasco...all hopefully healthy...then we'll have a respectable rotation.

Everybody just repeat after me:

 

IT'S BEEN ONLY THREE GAMES!

 

IT'S BEEN ONLY THREE GAMES!

 

IT'S BEEN ONLY THREE GAMES!

 

This isn't football, people! Geez, most of you here are just like the whiny Dol-fans that inundate the radio waves in town!

Everybody just repeat after me:

 

IT'S BEEN ONLY THREE GAMES!

 

IT'S BEEN ONLY THREE GAMES!

 

IT'S BEEN ONLY THREE GAMES!

 

This isn't football, people! Geez, most of you here are just like the whiny Dol-fans that inundate the radio waves in town!

 

 

"IT'S BEEN ONLY THREE GAMES!" :thumbup :notworthy

Anyone who thought this team was going to be good is a crazy person. Just get used to the fact that we are a bad team, and hope that Miller develops into something decent and that Maybin does as well. half the people on this team's roster would not even make most major league teams. We are the worst team in the NL and I suggest that you eternal optimists stop hoping for wins and start looking for the bits of tasty food in this puddle of chunky vomit. Stop whining about the starting rotation. They go 4 innings a night because they are bad. Mark Hendrickson SUCKS. Rick Vanden Hurk has 2 pitches and if he is struggling with one of them he is screwed. Andrew Miller can't throw strikes and doesn't throw as hard as some of you seem to think he does. Scott Olsen is average at best. And then there is Nolasco, who can give you a few good innings here and there. 20 million dollar payroll = bad team. You get what you pay for. Anyone who is expecting wins should just stop watching this team and buy an XBox so they can build a nice roster for your simulated Marlins. This team sucks. Stop whining about the rotation. I bitch about the way the team is put together, but I'm not going to bitch about the results. There is no solution to the problem right now. There is nobody in the organization who can do the job in a satisfactory way, and we aren't going to go out and spend any money on someone who can. Get used to losing.

 

I'd hate to imagine what it must feel like to be Garbageman61. Walking around all day with a dark cloud over head. Pissed off at the world. The one thing he can actually enjoy in life are his Marlins, but he can't because he's too pissed off at the way this team is put together. Oh!!! The horror!!!!

 

Dude relax. You're like one Duncan Sheik song away from jumping out a window. It's only a game. I wasn't around these boards in 03 when we won the WS, but I bet your attitude must have been the same as it is today when that season started. Especially after that awful start. Just a guess on my part.

 

It's only three games. Olsen and Nolasco should be solid this year. I know you hate Hendrickson but he will also be serviceable. He can get into the 6th most of the time. Truth be known he only had one bad inning on Monday against a potent lineup. I also believe that Miller will only get better as the season wears on. My biggest concern is RVH. I think he needs some time in AAA. He's dominated AA, and single A but he is not ready for the show. We have Badenhop and Volstad ready to make the jump. If you want to be really honest, they probably earned spots in the rotation this spring ahead of both Miller, and RVH. Unfortunately other circumstances factored into the equation when finalizing the roster.

 

As for the offense, we are of to a slow start but the power is still there. Jacobs, Cantu, and Willy will all hit above .200. Johan, and an effective Perez can make you look bad. A better test as to how we will hold up this season will be this weekend against the Pirates and Nationals. Those are two teams we should beat in my opinion. Besides, taking 1 of 3 from the Mets is hardly the end of the world. All will sort itself out in due time, and we will have a fun, productive, and competitive season. If you still want to be down on the season after three games, let me know, and I'll come by and kick your dog just for the heck of it...

 

Yeah. I walk around all day pissed off at the world and the only thing that makes me happy are the Marlins. I would have killed myself by now if that was the case. I will usually refrain from making personal attacks on a message board, but you are an idiot so I will make an exception. I am not basing my opinion on these three games, moron, and nobody else should either. I know we will win some games and some of the mediocre players will have a good game here and there, but we are not a good team. I can bitch all I want about this team, and it takes me all of 20 seconds to type a paragraph or two about it. I can assure you that my favorite baseball team being terrible is not a very big concern of mine in the grand scheme of things. I expected them to be good in 2003, dummy. Didn't expect them to win the world series, but I figured we'd be able to be a .500 team with Pudge at the very least. Anyone who knows me already knows that. Your opinion of me means absolutely nothing, but If you'd like to come to a game and give it to me in person, I'd love to hear it.. You are a first class idiot, and I feel like I just got dumber by typing to you.

 

Wow.. Moron.. Idiot.. dummy.. I'm so hurt... I think I'll curl up in the fetal position tonight, and cry myself to sleep. By the way, those are such witty insults..

 

Chill out dude. I was being sarcastic. I'm sure you have a life, and you're not pissed off at the world. It was late, and I was being humorous. I obviously failed at it. Either way, I don't think I made any insulting remarks toward you. If I hit a nerve with the "mad at the world" remarks, then you must have some chip on your shoulder. That's your problem, not mine. Anyway, if I offended you somehow, I apologize.

As far as my opinion goes, it has nothing to do with the first 3 games. Forget about the first 3 games. Do you disagree with my opinion that we have the worst starting rotation in MLB. If so, please tell me who you think is worse. Or my thought that next year, when we're hopefuly healthier, we'll have a decent middle of the road starting rotation, perhaps better than average.

If he took that extra 20 million and devoted it towards signing Hanley...

I was thinking the same thing today. This past off-season I think we could have signed Hanley for 5 years for about $50 or $55 million. The '07 and '08 revenue sharing could cover all of it and then some.

Anyone who thought this team was going to be good is a crazy person. Just get used to the fact that we are a bad team, and hope that Miller develops into something decent and that Maybin does as well. half the people on this team's roster would not even make most major league teams. We are the worst team in the NL and I suggest that you eternal optimists stop hoping for wins and start looking for the bits of tasty food in this puddle of chunky vomit. Stop whining about the starting rotation. They go 4 innings a night because they are bad. Mark Hendrickson SUCKS. Rick Vanden Hurk has 2 pitches and if he is struggling with one of them he is screwed. Andrew Miller can't throw strikes and doesn't throw as hard as some of you seem to think he does. Scott Olsen is average at best. And then there is Nolasco, who can give you a few good innings here and there. 20 million dollar payroll = bad team. You get what you pay for. Anyone who is expecting wins should just stop watching this team and buy an XBox so they can build a nice roster for your simulated Marlins. This team sucks. Stop whining about the rotation. I bitch about the way the team is put together, but I'm not going to bitch about the results. There is no solution to the problem right now. There is nobody in the organization who can do the job in a satisfactory way, and we aren't going to go out and spend any money on someone who can. Get used to losing.

 

Miller can touch 98 if he wants... He just doesn't have to. Why blow your arm out when your deception and movement are good enough to get outs at 91-93?

 

BTW: Here's a scouts view of Miller. Look at the first report (the most recent, when he was a senior in HS), that projects him to be the niext 100 MPH lefty. PerfectGame.org

If he took that extra 20 million and devoted it towards signing Hanley...

I was thinking the same thing today. This past off-season I think we could have signed Hanley for 5 years for about $50 or $55 million. The '07 and '08 revenue sharing could cover all of it and then some.

 

Probably would have gotten him much cheaper than $50 Million. You have to realize, he won't touch $10 Mill a year for another two or three years. Why do you think Tulo got so little from the Rocks?

As far as my opinion goes, it has nothing to do with the first 3 games. Forget about the first 3 games. Do you disagree with my opinion that we have the worst starting rotation in MLB. If so, please tell me who you think is worse. Or my thought that next year, when we're hopefuly healthier, we'll have a decent middle of the road starting rotation, perhaps better than average.

hell i think there are 2 teams in our own division with worst starting pitching in the phillies and nationals...

 

we have the talent...now the guys need to grow into their talent...

 

as where the phils and nats have virtually nothing aside from maybe the possibility of brett myers putting his game together this year and maybe a pretty good cole hamels...

Next year, when we have JJ, Olsen, Mitre, Sanchez, Nolasco...all hopefully healthy...then we'll have a respectable rotation.

 

I have my doubts that Mitre sees the rotation ever again.

 

 

 

 

True hate never dies.

Some thoughts on all of this........

 

 

Like SoFlaFish mentioned, its been 3 games.

 

We played the Mets, they're pretty good.

 

Mark Hendrickson is probably one of the worst pitchers in the history of MLB to have an Opening Day start. He was given the ball on Opening Day based on his SPRING TRAINING STATS. As most of us know, Spring Training is not an indication of a players true worth.

 

And finally, we were a never a contender this year. Las Vegas has us projected to win about 69.5 games. That's not gonna clinch the wild card folks. Hopefully our young guys will improve and we will move closer to being a really good team in 2010.

 

 

Go Marlins.

Miller can touch 98 if he wants... He just doesn't have to. Why blow your arm out when your deception and movement are good enough to get outs at 91-93?

 

BTW: Here's a scouts view of Miller. Look at the first report (the most recent, when he was a senior in HS), that projects him to be the niext 100 MPH lefty. PerfectGame.org

Because giving up more earned runs than innings you've pitched isn't really "good enough"?

 

I mean if the kid is not ready for the bigs, he shouldn't be there. If he's developing, this isn't the time and or place for it. The reason he is up isn't because he's good enough, it because we are that bad with regards to starting pitching at the moment.

As far as my opinion goes, it has nothing to do with the first 3 games. Forget about the first 3 games. Do you disagree with my opinion that we have the worst starting rotation in MLB. If so, please tell me who you think is worse. Or my thought that next year, when we're hopefuly healthier, we'll have a decent middle of the road starting rotation, perhaps better than average.

hell i think there are 2 teams in our own division with worst starting pitching in the phillies and nationals...

 

we have the talent...now the guys need to grow into their talent...

 

as where the phils and nats have virtually nothing aside from maybe the possibility of brett myers putting his game together this year and maybe a pretty good cole hamels...

 

We don't have a single good starting pitcher. I think that pretty much makes us as bad as anyone else.

As far as my opinion goes, it has nothing to do with the first 3 games. Forget about the first 3 games. Do you disagree with my opinion that we have the worst starting rotation in MLB. If so, please tell me who you think is worse. Or my thought that next year, when we're hopefuly healthier, we'll have a decent middle of the road starting rotation, perhaps better than average.

hell i think there are 2 teams in our own division with worst starting pitching in the phillies and nationals...

 

we have the talent...now the guys need to grow into their talent...

 

as where the phils and nats have virtually nothing aside from maybe the possibility of brett myers putting his game together this year and maybe a pretty good cole hamels...

 

We don't have a single good starting pitcher. I think that pretty much makes us as bad as anyone else.

Not even Olsen?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.