June 5, 200818 yr Anyone know a lot about this guy? The MLB draft tracker says he has a good left handed power bat and an above average arm. he needs to improve his defensive skills though. Because he is a high schooler, we shouldn't see him for 3+ years.
June 5, 200818 yr He was the High School player of the year. Projection/Comparison: Joe Mauer, with more power. ...I don't see anything wrong with this.
June 5, 200818 yr Its a great pick. experts say he should move through the minors very quickly I wish we could have been one spot up and got Buster Posey, because he will be a legit. player whose a good catcher. But I like this pick, kid has a ton of potential.
June 5, 200818 yr Its a great pick. experts say he should move through the minors very quickly I wish we could have been one spot up and got Buster Posey, because he will be a legit. player whose a good catcher. But I like this pick, kid has a ton of potential. For that we would had to let the Mets reach the playoff.
June 5, 200818 yr Its a great pick. experts say he should move through the minors very quickly I wish we could have been one spot up and got Buster Posey, because he will be a legit. player whose a good catcher. But I like this pick, kid has a ton of potential. For that we would had to let the Mets reach the playoff. I'll take that tradeoff....keep those nasty Mets out of the playoffs for sure.
June 5, 200818 yr But, by filling a hole in the catchers spot, and once Maybin's up, we can possibly keep them out of the playoffs for many years to come.
June 5, 200818 yr Its a great pick. experts say he should move through the minors very quickly I wish we could have been one spot up and got Buster Posey, because he will be a legit. player whose a good catcher. But I like this pick, kid has a ton of potential. Both Posey and Skipworth are both converted catchers with not much experience. Im happy with the Skipworth pick.
June 5, 200818 yr Puma's scouting report on Kyle Skipworth (based on personal kowledge, reading other reports, and watching on video) A poor man's Joe Mauer. Plus power, plus contact, definitely an offensive minded catcher--defense is a work in progress. Pretty good arm from the videos I've seen, but will get better. Big frame, not done filling out, will put on some muscle. HUGE upside, even more upside than Posey. Concerns are that he may not remain at the catcher position and could be moved to a corner infield or outfield spot. If he can progress defensively he will be fine because the bat will be there. All in all, a pretty good pick for the fish. Best case scenario: A potential All Star catcher who will hit for average and power. Think .280-.300 AVG with 25-30 homers.
June 5, 200818 yr Impossible to know what a high school player will turn out to be but he has a lot of upside . Overall I am happy with the pick
June 5, 200818 yr Impossible to know what a high school player will turn out to be but he has a lot of upside . Overall I am happy with the pick It will be interesting to track the careers of Posey and Skipworth... Who will end up the better pro??? :mis2
June 5, 200818 yr Projection/Comparison: Joe Mauer, with more power. you wish Oh, forgive me. I'm just repeating what the scouting reports / ESPN analysts are saying. Have you seen him play, Mr.Know it all?
June 5, 200818 yr Puma's scouting report on Kyle Skipworth (based on personal kowledge, reading other reports, and watching on video) A poor man's Joe Mauer. Plus power, plus contact, definitely an offensive minded catcher--defense is a work in progress. Pretty good arm from the videos I've seen, but will get better. Big frame, not done filling out, will put on some muscle. HUGE upside, even more upside than Posey. Concerns are that he may not remain at the catcher position and could be moved to a corner infield or outfield spot. If he can progress defensively he will be fine because the bat will be there. All in all, a pretty good pick for the fish. Best case scenario: A potential All Star catcher who will hit for average and power. Think .280-.300 AVG with 25-30 homers. Sounds like one of if not the best hitting cacher in history... awesome!
June 5, 200818 yr Projection/Comparison: Joe Mauer, with more power. you wish I wish. Luckily, the "experts" seem to be making my dream come true by comparing him to Joe Mauer and saying that he has more power.
June 5, 200818 yr Hey everyone, just got to my hotel room from the draft. I can honestly say I'm happy with the Skipworth pick, although a bunch of us Marlins fans were holding our breath when they mentioned the #5 pick (Buster Posey). Turns out Buster is his nickname and his real name is Gerald Posey. We heard "the Giants select Gerald..." and we're like who the hell is Gerald? YEA! we're getting Posey! But then we heard the last name.... Anyway, I'm happy with our pick. The atmosphere was really cool and I hope to go to next year's draft as well!
June 5, 200818 yr Even if Posey were still available, the Marlins would have picked Skipworth for signability reasons. Skipworth has a higher ceiling anyway. Only difference is, Posey is a little safer of a choice.
June 5, 200818 yr Even if Posey were still available, the Marlins would have picked Skipworth for signability reasons. Skipworth has a higher ceiling anyway. Only difference is, Posey is a little safer of a choice. There was talk about him asking for $12 million and a ML deal. That's crazy. But then again, he's a junior and he still has the option to return to FSU next year.
June 5, 200818 yr its a great pick filling up the great need in the organization it was the only spot that was a need throughout the system and into the big league club as you saw 1b you have jacobs 2b you have uggla and collhan ss you have hanley 3b dominguez lf willingham cf maybin rf hermida sp too many to name lol catcher we now have skipworth if we can sign him its a great pick because the marlins can start adding depth to their team now
June 5, 200818 yr Puma's scouting report on Kyle Skipworth (based on personal kowledge, reading other reports, and watching on video) A poor man's Joe Mauer. Plus power, plus contact, definitely an offensive minded catcher--defense is a work in progress. Pretty good arm from the videos I've seen, but will get better. Big frame, not done filling out, will put on some muscle. HUGE upside, even more upside than Posey. Concerns are that he may not remain at the catcher position and could be moved to a corner infield or outfield spot. If he can progress defensively he will be fine because the bat will be there. All in all, a pretty good pick for the fish. Best case scenario: A potential All Star catcher who will hit for average and power. Think .280-.300 AVG with 25-30 homers. Sounds like one of if not the best hitting cacher in history... awesome! joe mauer still has not devolped power so they could not be a good compairison
June 5, 200818 yr That assumption is likely for his peak seasons. The best hitting catcher in history, Piazza, had .330 35-40 HR peak seasons. But those are definitely all-star near MVP stats.
June 5, 200818 yr yeah I'm not comparing him to Mike Piazza or Johnny Bench or anything, but he has the chance to be a Victor Martinez-type talent.
June 5, 200818 yr Puma's scouting report on Kyle Skipworth (based on personal kowledge, reading other reports, and watching on video) A poor man's Joe Mauer. Plus power, plus contact, definitely an offensive minded catcher--defense is a work in progress. Pretty good arm from the videos I've seen, but will get better. Big frame, not done filling out, will put on some muscle. HUGE upside, even more upside than Posey. Concerns are that he may not remain at the catcher position and could be moved to a corner infield or outfield spot. If he can progress defensively he will be fine because the bat will be there. All in all, a pretty good pick for the fish. Best case scenario: A potential All Star catcher who will hit for average and power. Think .280-.300 AVG with 25-30 homers. With that potential, how can he be a "poor man's" anyone? Man I hope he can move up through the system quickly. :thumbup
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.