The Mighty Maybin

SongInTheAir

The big(ger) part of the Cabs/Willis deal has now made his Marlin debut.

Anyone else tremendously excited for our 2009 starting outfielder? (not sure if he'll be in CF yet)

I am not certain he will be starting next year

why do u say that? I think that is exactly what the FO is thinking, they do not want the fans seeing the main guy they got in the Cabrera trade waste away in the minors

I am excited IF John Raynor gets to start in LF next year and Cody goes to right

LF Raynor

CF Maybin

RF Ross

I would completely LOVE that outfield opening day

How many times do we have to go over Raynor is not a corner option. He won't produce enough offense because of his low slugging potential. It's about getting the most production out of every spot on the field. Need more power in a corner slot than a guy who projects for a high 700 OPS in a best case scenario of development. Unless, you want to predict some insane .380+ OBP or something, then be my guest and keep on going with this Raynor for LF thing. CF? Maybe, but with Maybin around I don't foresee that happening. Fleming recently didn't take the chance to call him a future starter, detailing only 3 players in AA - Maybin, Coghlan, Sanchez - with that ability.

I want Ross-Maybin-Hermida opening day. You absolutely do not give up on a 24 year old who had a .870 OPS last year. Yes, he has been horrible, but you do not give up on a player that young and with that much potential, for a future Endy Chavez type of player. You think the Braves are going to dump Francouer too? No. What the Marlins are doing is perfect. They are benching his ass, showing him that he now has to earn his keep instead of being handed a starting and prime lineup spot since he was 18 years old. I want Hermida to be pissed off all offseason he had a crappy year and got benched for 6 weeks. He has never had to experience that before in his life. We'll see what shows up in March. I'm thinking this is exactly what he needs, and I'm optimistic. You can't ignore Hermida's home/away splits, .587/.838. That is enormous. He hasn't vanished when he still is hitting pretty damn good in half his PA. Show some faith in player development. We do not want him to toil on the bench, or cut him loose, for him to become Brandon Phillips for another team.

I am excited IF John Raynor gets to start in LF next year and Cody goes to right

LF Raynor

CF Maybin

RF Ross

How many times do we have to go over Raynor is not a corner option. He won't produce enough offense because of his low slugging potential. It's about getting the most production out of every spot on the field. Need more power in a corner slot than a guy who projects for a high 700 OPS in a best case scenario of development. Unless, you want to predict some insane .380+ OBP or something, then be my guest and keep on going with this Raynor for LF thing. CF? Maybe, but with Maybin around I don't foresee that happening. Fleming recently didn't take the chance to call him a future starter, detailing only 3 players in AA - Maybin, Coghlan, Sanchez - with that ability.

I want Ross-Maybin-Hermida opening day. You absolutely do not give up on a 24 year old who had a .870 OPS last year. Yes, he has been horrible, but you do not give up on a player that young and with that much potential, for a future Endy Chavez type of player. You think the Braves are going to dump Francouer too? No. What the Marlins are doing is perfect. They are benching his ass, showing him that he now has to earn his keep instead of being handed a starting and prime lineup spot since he was 18 years old. I want Hermida to be pissed off all offseason he had a crappy year and got benched for 6 weeks. He has never had to experience that before in his life. We'll see what shows up in March. I'm thinking this is exactly what he needs, and I'm optimistic. You can't ignore Hermida's home/away splits, .587/.838. That is enormous. He hasn't vanished when he still is hitting pretty damn good in half his PA. Show some faith in player development. We do not want him to toil on the bench, or cut him loose, for him to become Brandon Phillips for another team.

THANK YOU! :notworthy

I want to see Hermida in next years' OF, as well.

LF Raynor

CF Maybin

RF Ross

can't argue wit anything u said, Hermida has had tons of potential for years, i am more worried wit his lack of effort in the field personally. I just like Raynor and the speed he can add to this team.

LF Raynor

CF Maybin

RF Ross

You my friend are the man! That is exactly what i want to see next year. Cody in left, Maybin in Center, and Hermida in RF. And Raynor as the 4 outfielder

I heard a great line dusty baker uses for prospects today. Prospect are suspects till proven otherwise. As for all you on raynor just look at bourn on the astros hes fast as heck cant hit to save his life in the bigs.

Yeah, but in the end, Dusty Baker makes Adam Dunn bunt, so everything he says is suspect.

I am not certain he will be starting next year

why do u say that? I think that is exactly what the FO is thinking, they do not want the fans seeing the main guy they got in the Cabrera trade waste away in the minors

He will have every opportunity, and very well may be our starter, but a guy that young wouldn't be 'wasting away' in the minors.

I am hoping for: Ross, Maybin, Hermida in 2009, but we might not see it.

can't argue wit anything u said, Hermida has had tons of potential for years, i am more worried wit his lack of effort in the field personally. I just like Raynor and the speed he can add to this team.

This is the problem, and I don't mean to be to prodding here.

How does SPEED add to the team's PRODUCTION. Surely, I will be generous and allow you to translate speed into defensive speed and yea, Raynor would save maybe a dozen runs (very generous) in the OF over Hermida. No problem there. How is SPEED helping anywhere else? SB effects on run production are nominal at best. Hermida is fast enough to go 1st to 3rd, so we really can't say it's base running and "clogging the bases" with slow dudes. Causing havoc with the SP by having a base stealer on base? Intangible argument, no dice. SPEED is just not that important of a thing. It's about PRODUCTION - we want high OBP and a lot a lot of XBH. Raynor might have a good OBP, but the slugging part of the equation is probably never going to be there. Speed isn't making up for this huge deficiency.

Don't get me wrong. I like Raynor. Cool 5th OF for next year if they don't care about not giving him consistent AB. But really can't view him as anything more with CF belonging to Maybin hopefully for a very long time. He is not a corner starter on a good team. Hermida, can absolutely be that kind of player.

Obviously, no one is suggesting Raynor should start in left field if he can't get on base at a good clip. But if he proves he can, he's definitely the ideal lead off hitter.

MarlinsLou, you put way too much emphasis on position. We have gotten almost no production from our corner outfielders this year and yet the offense has gotten production elsewhere. It doesn't matter what position people play. You want a balanced offense. Remember, this is a team game as well, and part of a player's production is driving in other players. We need more men on base, like tonight's game.

I heard a great line dusty baker uses for prospects today. Prospect are suspects till proven otherwise. As for all you on raynor just look at bourn on the astros hes fast as heck cant hit to save his life in the bigs.

John Raynor's career minor league .OPS - .895

Michael Bourn's career minor league .OPS - .769

That's quite a difference.

Yeah, but in the end, Dusty Baker makes Adam Dunn bunt, so everything he says is suspect.

Hey the guy knows more baseball than any of us. As for dunn bunting i dont know what he was thinking. But in baseball it couldent be more true so many top porspects fall flat on their face once they get to the bigs if they ever get there.

Hey the guy knows more baseball than any of us. As for dunn bunting i dont know what he was thinking. But in baseball it couldent be more true so many top porspects fall flat on their face once they get to the bigs if they ever get there.

You know, I would agree with you for as far as any other manager, but I can think of atleast 5 guys here that I honestly believe know much more than Dusty.