Conine weighing front-office position

Everlong204

MIAMI -- Now that Jeff Conine is officially an "Ironman," could he soon add the title of "special assistant?"

Since completing the Ford Ironman World Championships in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, on Oct. 11, Conine has been in discussions with the Marlins regarding a position as a special assistant with the organization.

The 42-year-old, who retired from baseball after 17 seasons, is weighing if he wants to get back in the game in that capacity.

An original Marlin, Conine is a resident of Weston, Fla., in Broward County. On March 28, he signed a one-day contract with the Marlins and retired. At that time, the team made it clear that there was a place in the organization for Conine if he wished.

But with Conine then in training for the Ironman competition, he put off making a decision.

In his playing career, Conine had two stints with the Marlins -- from 1993-97 and 2003-05. He played a pivotal role in both of Florida's World Series titles ('97 and '03).

One of the most popular players in franchise history, Conine was commonly referred to as "Mr. Marlin."

He last played in 2007, beginning the season with the Reds before finishing up with the Mets.

A .285 career hitter, Conine played in 2,024 games, with 1,014 coming in a Marlins uniform. Only Luis Castillo (1,128) has played more games in a Florida uniform.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=fla

Hope he takes the job cuz I still need his autograph.

No offense, Louie, how do you NOT have Niner's signature? Over the years, he's probably been the most consistent and generous with his time. I believe I have upwards of 10 auto's or so from him. I still remember going to the first ST game after the strike, against the Dodgers in Vero. He was he first one who signed for me, and he said "Thank you for coming out and giving us another chance." That made such an impression on me, and as most can atest, that kind of positive experience is par for the course w/ him. Good luck getting your auto.

Personally, I think it's more likely he ends up on FSNr the radio, as he did a great job that last series of the year, and the arlins already have 2 special assistants in Andre Dawson and Tony Perez.

No offense, Louie, how do you NOT have Niner's signature? Over the years, he's probably been the most consistent and generous with his time. I believe I have upwards of 10 auto's or so from him. I still remember going to the first ST game after the strike, against the Dodgers in Vero. He was he first one who signed for me, and he said "Thank you for coming out and giving us another chance." That made such an impression on me, and as most can atest, that kind of positive experience is par for the course w/ him. Good luck getting your auto.

Personally, I think it's more likely he ends up on FSNr the radio, as he did a great job that last series of the year, and the arlins already have 2 special assistants in Andre Dawson and Tony Perez.

When I was much younger, maybe 10-12 years ago, my family boarded a plane with Jeff Conine, his wife and his daugther. My grandparents were sitting across from them in the same row. We recognized him right away, but he really wasn't very friendly. We attempted to engage him in conversation, but had very little success.

Conversely, when my dad was taking my grandma to the airport even before that, he ran into Chuck Carr; he had nothing else to write on, so he took out a picture of my sister and me, and Chuckie signed that. That has nothing to do with Niner, I just like that story.

No offense, Louie, how do you NOT have Niner's signature?

Go figure. I have Miguel Cabrera, Pudge, Dontrelle x2, Hanley x2, Livan, Renteria, and about 40-50 others but somehow never got Conine. :confused

Regardless of his choice, I would be willing to bet there will be plenty of opportunities for that. Especially Saturdays when they have the autograph lines in the Strike Zone before the games.

The Marlins offered it to him so that has nothing to do with it. Whether or not he takes the position will be determind by if he wants to spend his time doing baseball related things or if he wants to spend his retirement going in a different direction. And, for the record, you forgot Trader Jack. I see Hawk and Tony at the ball park, at ST games, and at team functions ALOT. McKeon not quite so much, but quite often.

I hope he does stay active with the club. I wouldn't mind seeing him work in the booth with Tommy and Rich. I thought he did a nice job filling in for Tommy at the end of the year.

Id like a 3 man booth with niner, waltz, and tommy. Niner coudl give us insight to more of today players i think.

I hope he does stay active with the club. I wouldn't mind seeing him work in the booth with Tommy and Rich. I thought he did a nice job filling in for Tommy at the end of the year.

Id like a 3 man booth with niner, waltz, and tommy. Niner coudl give us insight to more of today players i think.

Conine did a decent job replacing Tommy. But, in my opinion he wasn't too pasionet for the time he was a analyst. He did not show any energy when the Marlins scored a run or did something incredible. Also, when he talked about a player he sounded to me as if he was reading the scouting report. I consider three man in the booth too many. Hutton and Waltz are doing a amazing job without him. They should keep it like that.

No offence to Conine, I think he is a great guy but not the analyst type.

I liked his insight into the games, but u could tell he was definetly out of his element. Some people are just cut out for commentating, and he really isn't. I don't know if FSN allows 3 men booths. Every other team that uses FSN has only 2 men working. The only teams with 3 are the Mets and Yankees (sometimes) I believe.

I liked his insight into the games, but u could tell he was definetly out of his element. Some people are just cut out for commentating, and he really isn't. I don't know if FSN allows 3 men booths. Every other team that uses FSN has only 2 men working. The only teams with 3 are the Mets and Yankees (sometimes) I believe.

and the Red Sox

Conine did a decent job replacing Tommy. But, in my opinion he wasn't too pasionet for the time he was a analyst. He did not show any energy when the Marlins scored a run or did something incredible. Also, when he talked about a player he sounded to me as if he was reading the scouting report. I consider three man in the booth too many. Hutton and Waltz are doing a amazing job without him. They should keep it like that.

No offence to Conine, I think he is a great guy but not the analyst type.

Well, most people would tell you that most announcers aren't as "passionate" as Rich and Tommy. That doesn't make them bad announcers.

When I was much younger, maybe 10-12 years ago, my family boarded a plane with Jeff Conine, his wife and his daugther. My grandparents were sitting across from them in the same row. We recognized him right away, but he really wasn't very friendly. We attempted to engage him in conversation, but had very little success.

Conversely, when my dad was taking my grandma to the airport even before that, he ran into Chuck Carr; he had nothing else to write on, so he took out a picture of my sister and me, and Chuckie signed that. That has nothing to do with Niner, I just like that story.

Probably had to do w/the fact he was w/ his family. After almost 20 yrs of autograph collecting, one thing I've learned is ballplayers don't like to be bothered when they're with their wives and kids. Nor can I blame them; when I'm looking for some private time w/ my loved ones, the last thing I want is to be harrassed by a telemarketer or interupted at dinner.

Or maybe he's a bad flyer. It's a bummer your personal exposure to Niner was a negaive one; all I can say is all mine have been extremely positive.

Probably had to do w/the fact he was w/ his family. After almost 20 yrs of autograph collecting, one thing I've learned is ballplayers don't like to be bothered when they're with their wives and kids. Nor can I blame them; when I'm looking for some private time w/ my loved ones, the last thing I want is to be harrassed by a telemarketer or interupted at dinner.

Or maybe he's a bad flyer. It's a bummer your personal exposure to Niner was a negaive one; all I can say is all mine have been extremely positive.

He was still always my favorite (and later Mikey Lowell). I'm fairly sure this was in the offseason in a mid-90s year. It was certainly before 1997. 1994-1995 would have been my best guess (I was only 8 in 1995). No one else tried to speak to him that we noticed, although I certainly respect that he wants to not be bothered when wish his family - just bad timing on my part, I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

LAS VEGAS -- One of the most popular Marlins ever is part of the organization's contingent at the Winter Meetings.

Jeff Conine, nicknamed Mr. Marlin, has accepted a standing offer from the club to become a special assistant. The meetings in Las Vegas are his first official duties with the team.

Conine's role will be similar to special assistants Andre Dawson and Tony Perez. He expects to be at Spring Training with Florida in some capacity.

An original Marlin, Conine retired after the 2007 season. Prior to 2008, Conine signed a one-day contract with Florida and retired. The 42-year-old enjoyed two stints with the organization -- 1993-97 and 2003-05.

Conine broke in with the Royals in 1990, and he is a career .285 hitter. In 1995, he was the Most Valuable Player of the All-Star Game, belting the game-winning home run for the National League. Conine was a key contributor on the Marlins' 1997 and 2003 World Series championship teams.

In October, Conine became the first big league player to participate and complete the Ford Ironman World Championship triathlon in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.

Congrats to Mr. Marlin. About time.

LAS VEGAS -- One of the most popular Marlins ever is part of the organization's contingent at the Winter Meetings.

Jeff Conine, nicknamed Mr. Marlin, has accepted a standing offer from the club to become a special assistant. The meetings in Las Vegas are his first official duties with the team.

Conine's role will be similar to special assistants Andre Dawson and Tony Perez. He expects to be at Spring Training with Florida in some capacity.

An original Marlin, Conine retired after the 2007 season. Prior to 2008, Conine signed a one-day contract with Florida and retired. The 42-year-old enjoyed two stints with the organization -- 1993-97 and 2003-05.

Conine broke in with the Royals in 1990, and he is a career .285 hitter. In 1995, he was the Most Valuable Player of the All-Star Game, belting the game-winning home run for the National League. Conine was a key contributor on the Marlins' 1997 and 2003 World Series championship teams.

In October, Conine became the first big league player to participate and complete the Ford Ironman World Championship triathlon in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.

Congrats to Mr. Marlin. About time.

ditto my good man.

hopefully the first thing he does, is tell Logan he needs to change his number.

Probably not. Firstly because I get the feeling Logan won't be on the team, but secondly because I remember both Hawk and Boone wearing the same number. Hell, Niner didn't even try to pull rank on Lowell to take his number back.

Probably not. Firstly because I get the feeling Logan won't be on the team, but secondly because I remember both Hawk and Boone wearing the same number. Hell, Niner didn't even try to pull rank on Lowell to take his number back.

Miguel Cabrera and Tony Perez both wore 24 also.

Miguel Cabrera and Tony Perez both wore 24 also.

Right, I remember that whole thing with Miggie having to "earn" wearing 24 from Perez. Always felt that story was ridiculous.