People keep telling me to unite and stand behind BO

Iowa

I don't stand behind him and I don't wish him good luck unless he's doing soemthing I agree with and I don't think that's likely to happen very often. His first week as the President elect was not a good one.

So, wait, you don't wish him good luck as president? Does that mean that if he does something you don't agree with that is good for the country you won't be happy?

I don't stand behind him and I don't wish him good luck unless he's doing soemthing I agree with and I don't think that's likely to happen very often. His first week as the President elect was not a good one.

So, wait, you don't wish him good luck as president? Does that mean that if he does something you don't agree with that is good for the country you won't be happy?

If he tries to do something that is good for the country I would agree with him and I would wish him luck but I don't think the overwhelming majority of his policies will be good for the country so I'll disagree with them (the bad ones) and will hope he fails in his efforts to implement them.

If he tries to do something that is good for the country I would agree with him and I would wish him luck but I don't think the overwhelming majority of his policies will be good for the country so I'll disagree with them (the bad ones) and will hope he fails in his efforts to implement them.

That wasn't my question. My question was whether you will hope the policies he implements will be successful (create jobs, stimulate economic growth, bring about a more prosperous nation, etc.) even if you disagree with the specific policies? In other words, do you want his policies to fail if you don't agree with them?

I'm with Harrington on this one. I never agreed with the "Stand behind your President" guys when Bush was in power and I don't expect that now, but to hope that your President will fail is to hope that your country will fail.

Or it could be hope that one's party doesn't die out.

I'm not saying they are hoping that the country will fail so that the President does. Let me make a analogy so that what I am trying to say can be understood better.

As a Marlin fan, I never liked Jacobs because I thought he sucked but I always hoped that he would play well because that would help the Marlins. In the same way, anyone who loves this country should hope that Obama does well so that the United States does well.

I'm with Harrington on this one. I never agreed with the "Stand behind your President" guys when Bush was in power and I don't expect that now, but to hope that your President will fail is to hope that your country will fail.

I'm not saying they are hoping that the country will fail so that the President does. Let me make a analogy so that what I am trying to say can be understood better.

As a Marlin fan, I never liked Jacobs because I thought he sucked but I always hoped that he would play well because that would help the Marlins. In the same way, anyone who loves this country should hope that Obama does well so that the United States does well.

Well, here's an analogy similar to what I was saying, using the case you brought up:

I never liked Mike Jacobs as a player for the Marlins, so I am going to hope that he plays poorly enough so that the Marlins would possibly trade him during the off-season.

There are two different viewpoints, yet it's not necessarily a bad thing to wish for Obama to fail during his presidency. Sure, one of them might be selfish, but the person is still hoping for America to succeed, just in his own way.

Well, here's an analogy similar to what I was saying, using the case you brought up:

I never liked Mike Jacobs as a player for the Marlins, so I am going to hope that he plays poorly enough so that the Marlins would possibly trade him during the off-season.

There are two different viewpoints, yet it's not necessarily a bad thing to wish for Obama to fail during his presidency. Sure, one of them might be selfish, but the person is still hoping for America to succeed, just in his own way.

Retarded. If you want the Marlins to do well, you want Jacobs to play well so he has great value when traded. Analogy fail.

Retarded. If you want the Marlins to do well, you want Jacobs to play well so he has great value when traded. Analogy fail.

Sorry, I couldn't think of a better analogy. You still get the point though.

President George W. Bush:

"The election of Barack Obama is an historic moment for our country. There are a lot of people in America who did not believe they would ever see this day. It is good for our country that people have hope in the system and feel vested in the future and President-elect Obama has a great opportunity. I really do wish him all the best. I am just as American as he is American, and it is good for our country that the president succeeds."

And that is why. Because you are American and you live in a democracy and the people made their choice. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but as an American you should want the President, regardless of party affiliation, to be successful for the good of the nation.

I hope Obama is a failure in that he accompishes nothing and passes no legislation because I believe it would be much better than if he successfully passed tons of legislation to try doing everything he wants.

So I do want what's best for American, but I understand that what would be best is if the government stopped all the nonsense it has been doing, not try to do more.

Not necessarily true. For example I hope he fails in turning Social Security into an entitlement program and I hope he fails in bailing out the auto industry and I hope he fails in stuffing the federal courts with liberal judicial activists. If he fails in all those things we'll be better of.

and I hope he fails in stuffing the federal courts with liberal judicial activists.

OK, that's another one of those conservative myths. There are very few 'activist' judges in the country. Those opposed to women's rights and other rights just like to call any judge that makes a decision they disagree with 'activist'.

Someone needs to take many other judges to task for going against precedent so much (looking at you Clarence Thomas).

Not necessarily true. For example I hope he fails in turning Social Security into an entitlement program and I hope he fails in bailing out the auto industry and I hope he fails in stuffing the federal courts with liberal judicial activists. If he fails in all those things we'll be better of.

Sorry to break it to you, but SS has been an entitlement program for several decades.

Sorry to break it to you, but SS has been an entitlement program for several decades.

For most people the benefits received are based on their contributions but that would no longer be the case if Obama raises the contribution limit for those making over $250k and redistributes those funds to others.