Jorge Cantu

jerus9703

Yeah let's pull out the Tarot Cards MarlinsLou.

I predict Hermida will get injured again next season and still be nothing special.

I predict you to make uneducated opinions on the board.

I predict a nooby named Rambo McDonald to twist the factual disappointment of Hermida into wishful superstardom.

He will be traded like all others under this cheap franchise.So basically If he get much better, he is gone.

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Really? Really???? REALLY?!?!??!??!?!?

Honestly, it's getting really tiresome doing this crap about Hermida "sucking" over and over again.

How the heck can you compare Bill James' statistical predictions to Tarot Cards? Ridiculous.

By the way, does anyone know Bonifacio's minor-league LHP/RHP splits?

At this moment in Dominican Republic he has 83 AB 21 G, .337/.455/.470, vs Left .500/.571/.708 24 AB, vs Right .271/.411/.373 59 AB

At what point do you stop waiting to see what someone COULD do? A lot of smart people also predicted Hermida would be ROTY candidate in 2006.

And please, will all you Hermida apologists stop acting like it's just 2008 where he dissapointed. Hermida had a dissapointing 2006 with a 700 OPS, a dissapointing first half of 2007 with a 744 OPS, and a dissapointing 2008 with a 729 OPS. He only had one stretch in the second half of 2007, a span of less than 260 ABs where hit a ridiculous 956 OPS that no one here can seriously expect him to ever sustain. So please stop harping on that 870 OPS as though it's indicative of a consistent performance throughout the season when it has more to do with one really good and long hot streak.

And he was also injured in 06 and the first half of 07. And he was absolutely fine on the road in 2008. He just couldn't hit for crap at home. No one is making excuses for 2008. It was horribly disappointing, but it's not the end of the world. Players have down years in development and turn out just fine. I don't expect him to routinely hit a .956 OPS, but it just shows the potential. 260 PA is A LOT for a ridiculous split like .956. I'm not going to be shocked if Hermida starts having routine .290/.370/.480 type seasons.

If I'm the Marlins, you absolutely give him 2009. They have to determine where he is, closer to 2007 or closer to 2008. Also, Petersen, Cousins, and Raynor should be done with AAA, or very very close to MLB after this year. And Morrison might not even need AAA with the way he's going. That's going to create more internal options. If Hermida pulls a Teahen, might be time to cut him loose. I can live with that from the Marlins perspective even though he'd probably catch on elsewhere and figure it out in some capacity. So to answer the question, I'd say absolutely 1 year (2009), preferably 2 years, to see where Hermida is entering age 27. i.e., his prime. But like I said, if all those minor league kids are awesome and Hermida disappoints again, that change will happen naturally and you'll see no argument.

And he was also injured in 06 and the first half of 07. And he was absolutely fine on the road in 2008. He just couldn't hit for crap at home. No one is making excuses for 2008. It was horribly disappointing, but it's not the end of the world. Players have down years in development and turn out just fine. I don't expect him to routinely hit a .956 OPS, but it just shows the potential. 260 PA is A LOT for a ridiculous split like .956. I'm not going to be shocked if Hermida starts having routine .290/.370/.480 type seasons.

If I'm the Marlins, you absolutely give him 2009. They have to determine where he is, closer to 2007 or closer to 2008. Also, Petersen, Cousins, and Raynor should be done with AAA, or very very close to MLB after this year. And Morrison might not even need AAA with the way he's going. That's going to create more internal options. If Hermida pulls a Teahen, might be time to cut him loose. I can live with that from the Marlins perspective even though he'd probably catch on elsewhere and figure it out in some capacity. So to answer the question, I'd say absolutely 1 year (2009), preferably 2 years, to see where Hermida is entering age 27. i.e., his prime. But like I said, if all those minor league kids are awesome and Hermida disappoints again, that change will happen naturally and you'll see no argument.

I love the injury thing as an excuse for guy who's not even 25. Durability is a factor too, and if he's gonna be too hurt 75% of the time to play up to his "potential", what's the difference? And I'll be at least surprised if Hermida ever has a productive and consistent season, just because it hasn't happened yet.

And while you might say "give him another try", I say that if we are serious about trying to contend, then look past the guy who you've given 3 years to and has delivered a career OPS below 800 even with his wonderful 2007 and you try giving someone else a chance. I don't think Hermida simply being young is a good enough reason to pay him two years worth of arbitration either.

All in all, I'm sick of hearing how old he is. I'd rather have a 30 year old who'll put up an OPS over 800 than a 25 year old who hits an OPS below 750, at least if I'm interested in winning.

All in all, I'm sick of hearing how old he is. I'd rather have a 30 year old who'll put up an OPS over 800 than a 25 year old who hits an OPS below 750, at least if I'm interested in winning.

That would require a payroll that has the ability to actually sign a starting outfielder worthy of an .800+ ops, which isn't possible for this team at the moment. So, as much as you would like to complain about Hermida, he IS the best option we have right now, no matter what.

That would require a payroll that has the ability to actually sign a starting outfielder worthy of an .800+ ops, which isn't possible for this team at the moment. So, as much as you would like to complain about Hermida, he IS the best option we have right now, no matter what.

Josh Willingham and Cody Ross both had 800+ OPSes last season, as did 64 other OF. You don't think we could afford any of them?

Josh Willingham and Cody Ross both had 800+ OPSes last season, as did 64 other OF. You don't think we could afford any of them?

If by 64 you mean 31.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/battin...ull&minpa=0

Edit: I suppose you could be including non-qualified ones as well

If by 64 you mean 31.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/battin...ull&minpa=0

Edit: I suppose you could be including non-qualified ones as well

I just did it straight off the MLB stats page, so yeah, it included those with not so many ABs.

But while we're still on this topic, I'd also like to throw out that most of those guys who are hitting OPSes below 800 tend to make up for it a little by actually playing decent defense.

As much as I hate to say it I think Hermida has improved some every year since his callup, I think we are a young team who need to stay patient with him, and see what he does in 2009 before he pulls a Josh Hamilton on us!

I would be happy to be patient with him had we not blown his first 3 MLB years as we have. If he were still in the minors it would be no big deal. But to pay arbitration for what he has given us since he came up, it just doesn't seem worth it IMO. I think part of the blame lies with the FO that insisted on starting him these last 3 years, but regardless of how we got here - here we are. And even if Hermida becomes Josh Hamilton it doesn't matter unless he's gonna be the 2008 Josh Hamilton next year, cause the 2004 Josh Hamilton won't do us any good. At least if we're serious about competing.

Mike Jacobs (.816 OPS) and Josh Willingham (.833 OPS) both have better career numbers than Hermida (.778 OPS). The age excuse is a lame one. Did anyone use it with A-Rod, Pujols, Ryan Braun and a ton of other players? Production is what matters regardless of age and that's the bottom line. If improved defense is really a goal of the Marlins than Hermida has to go too because he's awful in the field.

Mike Jacobs (.816 OPS) and Josh Willingham (.833 OPS) both have better career numbers than Hermida (.778 OPS). The age excuse is a lame one. Did anyone use it with A-Rod, Pujols, Ryan Braun and a ton of other players? Production is what matters regardless of age and that's the bottom line. If improved defense is really a goal of the Marlins than Hermida has to go too because he's awful in the field.

Your right, production is what matters. So we have to keep Hermida, because he put up a .870 OPS in 07. Yes, it was 07, but he has shown he can hit. Plus, he was only 23 years old! Yep, he's a keeper.

Your right, production is what matters. So we have to keep Hermida, because he put up a .870 OPS in 07. Yes, it was 07, but he has shown he can hit. Plus, he was only 23 years old! Yep, he's a keeper.

He put it up in the second half of the season. During the first half of 2007 Hermida's OPS was 744. He got really hot for the second half and was ice cold all 2008, coincidentally just like 2006 and the aforementioned first half of 2007.

Please, stop trying to make it sound like he had a good season in 07 when he really had a great half season. Even in his one good season he was inconsistent and didn't start coming through until the second half when the Marlins were out of it already.

He put it up in the second half of the season. During the first half of 2007 Hermida's OPS was 744. He got really hot for the second half and was ice cold all 2008, coincidentally just like 2006 and the aforementioned first half of 2007.

Please, stop trying to make it sound like he had a good season in 07 when he really had a great half season. Even in his one good season he was inconsistent and didn't start coming through until the second half when the Marlins were out of it already.

What does it matter the Marlins were out of it? Irrelevant. And on the road this year he hit .288/.364/.487 (.851). For some reason, absolutely no hits dropped in Dolphins stadium. For the love of god, give it up. YOU stop making it sound like he's nothing, when he's a young player who has shown well above average potential in 2007, and just really struggled at home in 2008. There was a 275 OPS gap in Home/Away production. That isn't reliable. This is going to average out. uh.